How to disconnect flap actuator from FL26

Chris Callicott

Joined: 05 Nov 2020

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: How to disconnect flap actuator from FL26 Reply with quote

Hi,
l I need to replace my electric flap actuator, ie both motor and lead screw assembly. However, the mounting bracket FL26 is bonded and bolted to the fuselage floor (Build manual 28T). Removal of the AN4-23 bolt is not possible owing to location of the baggage bay supporting structure. Please advise how to remove the existing actuator.

budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: How to disconnect flap actuator from FL26 Reply with quote

Chris,

In the XS you probably have batteries, or ELT equipment and of course rudder cables nearby the servo floor attachment.

It is highly likely that no provision or access panel has been made over the flap actuator in the baggage bay floor or through the floor supports.

This is a travesty of failure to plan for future maintenance and proper engineering I’m afraid, and is done for expedient construction in the manual

Chris Callicott

Joined: 05 Nov 2020

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: How to disconnect flap actuator from FL26 Reply with quote

Hi Bud,
Thanks for your response. I concur with your views.
I am on the final lap of a 2 year restoration when the actuator failed on a shakedown flight.
I may have to drill a hole in one of the baggage bay support panels in order to remove the AN4-23 bolt from FL26. This may allow me to change to motor and retain the existing lead screw.
If I can access the other end of the lead screw with the wings and flaps removed from the fuselage, I will swap out the complete actuator. I would appreciate your view on whether or not this is possible.
Many thanks for your notes, published on the Europa Club site. They have already been hugely helpful.

budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: How to disconnect flap actuator from FL26 Reply with quote

Chris,
I have not changed out the motor in the XS actuator I'm afraid. The manufacturers name is on the motor normally and if you can read it, they can supply the info.
On my Motion industries linear actuator I bought a kit from them with new brushes and it was fairly easy to repair.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

Chris Callicott

Joined: 05 Nov 2020

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to disconnect flap actuator from FL26 Reply with quote

Thanks once again Bud.
I will follow up on a repair kit.
BW, Chris

SteveIvell(at)pestproof.c
Guest

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: How to disconnect flap actuator from FL26 Reply with quote

Cut a hole in the baggage bay support to allow access to the bolt. It's only plywood supported by fibreglass so a couple of small holes wouldn't be a problem.

Kind Regards

Steve Ivell

Managing Director

Pestproof Ltd.

07971 128842

--> Europa-List message posted by: "Chris Callicott" <c.callicott1(at)btinternet.com>

Hi,
l I need to replace my electric flap actuator, ie both motor and lead screw assembly. However, the mounting bracket FL26 is bonded and bolted to the fuselage floor (Build manual 28T). Removal of the AN4-23 bolt is not possible owing to location of the baggage bay supporting structure. Please advise how to remove the existing actuator.

===========
st Email Forum -
pa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Chris Callicott

Joined: 05 Nov 2020

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: How to disconnect flap actuator from FL26 Reply with quote

Many thanks Steve.
Wilco!
KR,
Chris