De-Coupling Flaps & Outriggers

davidjoyce(at)doctors.org
Guest

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: De-Coupling Flaps & Outriggers Reply with quote

Chris, Two suggestions to avoid bouncing: firstly hold off until the speed has decayed enough that you touch down tail wheel first. Effectively avoid putting the wheel on the ground, holding off just off the ground until the plane lands itself. If you touch down too fast the AOI is inevitably such that you touch main wheel first and you cannot avoid a bounce. Secondly if you have a reasonable amount of runway to play with you can touch down with the throttle slightly open and shut it at the point of touch down. I prefer the first of these approaches but it does take a while to get really comfortable with it. If you do decouple the flaps and gear, you have one extra thing to get wrong and will add considerably to your chances of landing wheels up when you find yourself stressed or distracted.
Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2021-05-27 18:54, n7188u wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "n7188u" <chmgarb(at)gmail.com (chmgarb(at)gmail.com)>This is an interesting topic which I am also interested.My interest is in that I am of the opinion that the monowheel could become easier to land in gusty or crosswind conditions if the flaps could be decoupled from the gear. How many airplanes have you flown out there where they recommend leaving full flaps when dealing with windy conditions?Now, in fairness to the design, I am very new to the monowheel and still learning. I may find that as I gain more experience it becomes more controllable during landing in such conditions. My issue is not directional control, it is that when the wind is gusty I can't make the airplane stay on the ground once I land. The combination of a light airplane with lots of lift and full flaps makes it want to get up in the air again even if speed is low.One thing to keep in mind though is that the flaps are only down 26 or so degrees so it's not too extreme. Seems enough though to give you a few nice scares when it gets back in the air when you really really slow. At the very least it's annoying.I guess one way to achieve that is to fix them in the down position but that's so ugly.I think I saw a picture of a monowheel out there that has them decoupled.ChrisRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=502072#502072> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europsp; tp://forums.matronics.com" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">ht://wiki.matronics.com" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">http:/ - Lsp; = --> http://www.matronics.com/contri================

dpark748(at)me.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: De-Coupling Flaps & Outriggers Reply with quote

I converted my Mono to Trike and removing Flap lever/tube was easy! and fitting electric flap motor straight forward.

Dave Park G-LDVO
Quote:
On 28 May 2021, at 07:03, Paul M 383 <europaul383(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Mallard wrote:
> Has anyone on the forum De-Coupled the Flaps & Outriggers on an XS Monowheel?
> If yes, can it be done after the aircraft has been built?
> If yes, what is involved?
>
> Thanks in advance
> James

I don't know if it can be easily done after completion (anything can be done with enough money and time!) but Justin Kennedy and Ted Gladstone did it during their build...

Also don't know what is involved, sorry!

HTH,

Paul
G-PLPM
XS Mono 912ULS

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/g_zted_4_136.jpg

aspenbuild(at)me.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: De-Coupling Flaps & Outriggers Reply with quote

Slightly curious here as to need, is this not trying to re invent the wheel? I only say so as a mono owner, in 12 years no replacement or adjustment needed. Also the single leaver action for gear/flaps/outriggers means less to forget!

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 28 May 2021, at 12:26, Area-51 <goldsteinindustrial(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Just spent last week investigating this very question; it is possible, on paper at least... moving onto this task after first improving the retract system and getting rid of the bungee cord... secret squirrel business!

n7188u

Joined: 15 Nov 2015

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: De-Coupling Flaps & Outriggers Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. Question to the last poster: Have you found limitations related to cross country flying because of wind conditions with the standard mono? Not referring to those extremes when you have 20 knots direct crosswind.

David, I am going to reply to Bud's message on my vents posting but in a nutshell: I am doing fantastic in low wind conditions. I can be so precise as to feel the tailwheel just skipping of the ground with the main still in the air. It's really neat and fun. It's when it gets bumpy that my precision goes out the door but yesterday I went out to practice with almost 10 knots of xwind (it gets bumpy in our field because of trees) and I did fine but was not holding the nose high enough. One go around out of four approaches. Getting there.

Just trying to asses the true capabilities of the mono as a dependable xcountry machine. But not giving up on my pretty mono yet!!

Chris

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: De-Coupling Flaps & Outriggers Reply with quote

Hi Chris,  its a hoot indeed!  almost as much fun as my hummelbird Smile
This vid is with 15knots xwind from the left, gusty day, with tree rotors.  Fun stuff.  This is with about 100hrs on a mono.
https://youtu.be/1Wmep_9O5QU
fwiw,
CHeers,
Pete

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 9:34 AM n7188u <chmgarb(at)gmail.com (chmgarb(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[...]

===========
pa-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

n7188u

Joined: 15 Nov 2015

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: De-Coupling Flaps & Outriggers Reply with quote

Nice landing Pete. Well, I'm still hopeful. As I said, not giving up yet!

I got a collection of landing videos I have to put in YouTube. Let me see if I can this weekend. It seems that when the Europa flies everyone at my airport is making videos of me. Of course, my landings get worse proportional to the number of people watching me Smile

BTW, it does get a lot of attention here. People love watching it. Like a new girl in town Smile

Chris

erichdtrombley(at)juno.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: De-Coupling Flaps & Outriggers Reply with quote

Hello James,

I de-coupled my flaps and outriggers during the initial build. That said, my outriggers are not stock, rather my own design that retract flush into the wings. I use a linear actuator to raise and lower the outriggers which are interlocked with the main gear. For the the flaps I installed the tri-gear flap motor which has worked well. The installation can be done as a retro fit, albeit with a lot of work.

Below is a photo taken at Oshkosh. I had just taken off and was in the process of raising the gear and flaps when the photo was taken. Another second or so and the plane would have been cleaned up. Oh well, it’s still a great photo.

Erich Trombley
N28ET Classic Mono 914

Officials on San Jose Shooting: 'This Was a Planned Event'
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/60b251c4bf09051620197st04duc1
11-Year-Old Hit With Felony Charges in $30K Brush Fire
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/60b251c4e26d151620197st04duc2
Canadian Accused of Entering US With Interesting 'Undeclared' Items
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/60b251c51293051620197st04duc3

image0.jpeg
 Filesize:  245.21 KB
 Viewed:  2746 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

Back to top
[...]

Choose to be safer online.
Opt-in to Cyber Safety with NortonLifeLock.
Get Norton 360 with LifeLock starting at $9.95/month.*
https://store.netzero.net/account/showService.do?serviceId=nz-nLifeLock&utm_source=mktg&utm_medium=taglines&utm_campaign=nzlifelk_launch&utm_content=tag995&promoCode=A23457

image0.jpeg
 Filesize:  245.21 KB
 Viewed:  2746 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

Back to top
n7188u

Joined: 15 Nov 2015

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: De-Coupling Flaps & Outriggers Reply with quote

Beautiful picture Erich. I hope mine looks like that one day!
Chris