Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

intake/exhaust stack-to-cylinder rings... ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draftsjust417(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: intake/exhaust stack-to-cylinder rings... ? Reply with quote

All-Do we have the part number for the metal rings/donuts that fit between 
the intake/exhaust stacks and the back if the cylinder heads?
I can't find it in the parts catalogs...
???
Thanks--
Justin/N280NC

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
pennington.construction.i

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: intake/exhaust stack-to-cylinder rings... ? Reply with quote

Justin
I am sure there are part numbers.   But I have purchased those from Doug and Richard.  
The exhaust are called exhaust donuts in the US.  
I think, correct me if I am wrong across the pond they call them exhaust olive gaskets.   
The seals for the intake side are paper from the factory.  There is an upgrade to a red viton Oring seal that I installed 2 years ago.  Zero problems since then.  I completely cleaned out the gasket channel and installed two of the new paper gaskets then the viton ORing.   It seals perfectly. I took one of the orings out this last condition inspection and the paper gaskets were still clean and like new.  No oil seepage around the Oring. 
I am sure Doug has all of this stuff.  I am running an M14P on my CJ.  The parts could be the same.  
Reach out to Doug and Richard if need be.  
Mark 
N621CJ. 

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 6:57 PM Justin Drafts <draftsjust417(at)gmail.com (draftsjust417(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
All-Do we have the part number for the metal rings/donuts that fit between 
???
Thanks--
Justin/N280NC

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: intake/exhaust stack-to-cylinder rings... ? Reply with quote

Yes, in Europe we call them exhaust "olives". The standard size is 10 mm thickness, but we realised that a certain number of people fail to tighten the exhaust nuts on a regular basis; the exhaust plus olive then "fret" against the cylinder head and wear it away, and in these cases we manufacture thick olives to any size people might want. So the standard olives are Euro 28 each and the thicker ones in any dimension (to order, since we manufacture them) are Euro 38 each.

And the intake tube gaskets are of course different – it is a rubber ring at the supercharger end, for which we charge Euro 4 per ring and at the cylinder end it is a paper gasket, but in order to get the appropriate thickness one needs three of them per intake tube. Cost is Euro 2 per gasket, so Euro 6 for the three and so a total of Euro 10 per intake tube!

All are in stock with Aerometal in Hungary, so let us know if anyone needs them.

Richard
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Rhodds Farm, Lyonshall, Hereford, HR5 3LW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)
www.russianaeros.com
WORLD LEADERS IN RUSSIAN SPORTING AIRCRAFT & ENGINES
In partnership with Aerometal Kft, Hungary.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Mark Pennington
Sent: 17 May 2021 12:05
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Re: intake/exhaust stack-to-cylinder rings... ?

Justin

I am sure there are part numbers. But I have purchased those from Doug and Richard.

I think, correct me if I am wrong across the pond they call them exhaust olive gaskets.

The seals for the intake side are paper from the factory. There is an upgrade to a red viton Oring seal that I installed 2 years ago. Zero problems since then. I completely cleaned out the gasket channel and installed two of the new paper gaskets then the viton ORing. It seals perfectly. I took one of the orings out this last condition inspection and the paper gaskets were still clean and like new. No oil seepage around the Oring.

I am sure Doug has all of this stuff. I am running an M14P on my CJ. The parts could be the same.

Mark

N621CJ.

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 6:57 PM Justin Drafts <draftsjust417(at)gmail.com (draftsjust417(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

All-
Do we have the part number for
the metal rings/donuts that fit between

???

Thanks--

Justin/N280NC

GeorgeCoy

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: intake/exhaust stack-to-cylinder rings... ? Reply with quote

The M14 part numbers are:

10-04-46 Intake gasket upper pipe to cylinder 3 per cylinder
14-04-542 Exhaust Gasket (doughnut)
10-04-26 Intake gasket lower pipe to supercharger case

George Coy
MotorstarNA
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)
http://motorstarna.com/
SKYPE george.coy

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Richard Goode
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 8:47 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Re: intake/exhaust stack-to-cylinder rings... ?

Yes, in Europe we call them exhaust "olives". The standard size is 10 mm thickness, but we realised that a certain number of people fail to tighten the exhaust nuts on a regular basis; the exhaust plus olive then "fret" against the cylinder head and wear it away, and in these cases we manufacture thick olives to any size people might want. So the standard olives are Euro 28 each and the thicker ones in any dimension (to order, since we manufacture them) are Euro 38 each.

And the intake tube gaskets are of course different – it is a rubber ring at the supercharger end, for which we charge Euro 4 per ring and at the cylinder end it is a paper gasket, but in order to get the appropriate thickness one needs three of them per intake tube. Cost is Euro 2 per gasket, so Euro 6 for the three and so a total of Euro 10 per intake tube!

All are in stock with Aerometal in Hungary, so let us know if anyone needs them.

Richard
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Mark Pennington

Justin

I am sure there are part numbers. But I have purchased those from Doug and Richard.

The seals for the intake side are paper from the factory. There is an upgrade to a red viton Oring seal that I installed 2 years ago. Zero problems since then. I completely cleaned out the gasket channel and installed two of the new paper gaskets then the viton ORing. It seals perfectly. I took one of the orings out this last condition inspection and the paper gaskets were still clean and like new. No oil seepage around the Oring.

I am sure Doug has all of this stuff. I am running an M14P on my CJ. The parts could be the same.

Mark

N621CJ.

Quote:

All-

???

Thanks--

Justin/N280NC

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: intake/exhaust stack-to-cylinder rings... ? Reply with quote

Great info all, thanks-I learn something every time I open the cowls.
Thought there were olives/rings on both intakes & exhausts, good to know just exhaust stacks and fewer req'd.
I'm running a Chinese Housai, any info on those ring p/n's?
Thanks again- Justin 

On Mon, May 17, 2021, 6:49 AM George <george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

George Coy
MotorstarNA
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
SKYPE george.coy

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Richard Goode

Richard
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Tel:  +44 (0)1544 340120   Fax:  +44 (0)1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com

Justin

I am sure there are part numbers.   But I have purchased those from Doug and Richard.  

The seals for the intake side are paper from the factory.  There is an upgrade to a red viton Oring seal that I installed 2 years ago.  Zero problems since then.  I completely cleaned out the gasket channel and installed two of the new paper gaskets then the viton ORing.   It seals perfectly. I took one of the orings out this last condition inspection and the paper gaskets were still clean and like new.  No oil seepage around the Oring. 

I am sure Doug has all of this stuff.  I am running an M14P on my CJ.  The parts could be the same.  

Mark 

N621CJ. 

Quote:

All-

???

Thanks--

Justin/N280NC

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: intake/exhaust stack-to-cylinder rings... ? Reply with quote

Excellent info, thanks Walt!Justin 
On Mon, May 17, 2021, 9:39 AM Walter Lannon <wlannon(at)shaw.ca (wlannon(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:

Quote:
Hi Justin:

The exhaust seals are identical for both the HS and M14 engines.  

There are stainless steel units manufactured by one of the US exhaust manufacturers.  I have those on my engine but would caution any one considering same to be aware of the fact that as theses units are pressed in manufacture they leave a sharp protruding edge that will destroy the aluminum alloy cylinder seat.

If they are perfectly centered  they will work however I have yet to see an exhaust system made to perfectly align with all of the cylinder seats.

I have modified these for my own use but it is an extremely dangerous hand grinding operation.

Walt

Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 8:14 AM

Great info all, thanks- I learn something every time I open the cowls.
Thought there were olives/rings on both intakes & exhausts, good to know just exhaust stacks and fewer req'd.

Thanks again- Justin

On Mon, May 17, 2021, 6:49 AM George <george.coy(at)gmail.com (george.coy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

George Coy
MotorstarNA
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
SKYPE george.coy

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Richard Goode
Subject: RE: Yak-List: Re: intake/exhaust stack-to-cylinder rings... ?

Richard
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
www.russianaeros.com

Justin

I am sure there are part numbers.   But I have purchased those from Doug and Richard. 

The seals for the intake side are paper from the factory.  There is an upgrade to a red viton Oring seal that I installed 2 years ago.  Zero problems since then.  I completely cleaned out the gasket channel and installed two of the new paper gaskets then the viton ORing.   It seals perfectly. I took one of the orings out this last condition inspection and the paper gaskets were still clean and like new.  No oil seepage around the Oring.

Mark

N621CJ.

Quote:

All-

???

Thanks--

Justin/N280NC

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: intake/exhaust stack-to-cylinder rings... ? Reply with quote

Walt.  
I just had this education recently from Richard.  
They make the exhaust olives in three thickness. 
10, 12 and 14mm to help fit the flanges better.  
Since I used these my exhaust fits very well and stays tight.  Grinding those would be difficult at best.  
I have attached a photo of what Richard supplies.  I understand Richard uses these on a regular basis 
On his side of the pond 
[img]cid:1797b398a21599a0a211[/img]

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:39 PM Walter Lannon <wlannon(at)shaw.ca (wlannon(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:

Quote:
Hi Justin:

There are stainless steel units manufactured by one of the US exhaust manufacturers.  I have those on my engine but would caution any one considering same to be aware of the fact that as theses units are pressed in manufacture they leave a sharp protruding edge that will destroy the aluminum alloy cylinder seat.

If they are perfectly centered  they will work however I have yet to see an exhaust system made to perfectly align with all of the cylinder seats.

I have modified these for my own use but it is an extremely dangerous hand grinding operation.

Walt

Thanks again- Justin

Quote:

George Coy
MotorstarNA
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
SKYPE george.coy

Richard
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
www.russianaeros.com

Justin

I am sure there are part numbers.   But I have purchased those from Doug and Richard. 

The seals for the intake side are paper from the factory.  There is an upgrade to a red viton Oring seal that I installed 2 years ago.  Zero problems since then.  I completely cleaned out the gasket channel and installed two of the new paper gaskets then the viton ORing.   It seals perfectly. I took one of the orings out this last condition inspection and the paper gaskets were still clean and like new.  No oil seepage around the Oring.

Mark

N621CJ.

Quote:

All-

???

Thanks--

Justin/N280NC

IMG_5302.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.27 MB
 Viewed:  2438 Time(s)

IMG_5302.jpg

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: intake/exhaust stack-to-cylinder rings... ? Reply with quote

Walt.  
I just had this education recently from Richard.  
They make the exhaust olives in three thickness. 
10, 12 and 14mm to help fit the flanges better.  
Since I used these my exhaust fits very well and stays tight.  Grinding those would be difficult at best.  
I have attached a photo of what Richard supplies.  I understand Richard uses these on a regular basis 
On his side of the pond 

Mark
N621CJ

[img]cid:1797b3c3510599a0a211[/img]

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:39 PM Walter Lannon <wlannon(at)shaw.ca (wlannon(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:

Quote:
Hi Justin:

Walt

Thanks again- Justin

Quote:

George Coy
MotorstarNA
714 Airport Rd.
Swanton VT 05488
802-868-5633 off
802-363-5782 cell
SKYPE george.coy

Richard
RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
www.russianaeros.com

Justin

Mark

N621CJ.

Quote:

All-

???

Thanks--

Justin/N280NC

IMG_5302.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.27 MB
 Viewed:  2438 Time(s)

IMG_5302.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: