opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430 Reply with quote

Given the install costs, whether in time/effort, or in paying someone to
install, seems to me a bad idea to consider the 480 that is no longer
supported, the 430 if not upgraded to WAAS, which is barely supported,
and even the WAAS unit that is likely to go unsupported within the next
5 years. I made the choice to go to a 650 about 7-8 years ago for that
reason, and they are ever closer to becoming boat anchors.
So, to me the discussion about ease of use between the Apollo designed
units and the Garmin is greatly overshadowed by their expected useful
life. Both original units are over 20 yrs old, using computer chips not
made for 20 yrs, and even the upgraded WAAS units are already 13 yrs
old. It seems like very few avionics with chips and displays that wear
out are supported much past 20 yrs and some much less.

On 5/13/2021 6:54 AM, Charlie England wrote:
Quote:
Have any of you IFR flyers flown both the 430 & 480, and can give a
comparison of the two? I'm toying with the idea of adding an approach
certified GPS to the RV, but I'm 'not yet rated', so I truly don't know
what I don't know. I do know that the 430 is far more common, and the
480 seems to sell for less money in the used market. I've heard only two
opinions comparing the two; diametrically opposed. Each said their
choice was far easier to use in an IFR environment. Not an adequate
sample size, so I'd like to get a bit more of a consensus.

Thanks,

Charlie

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
art(at)zemon.name
Guest

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430 Reply with quote

Charlie,

I put a Garmin GPS175 into my plane to get the IFR GPS. Check out that unit.

    -- Art Z.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse brevity and bizarre typos.

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_6093873194344501072_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430 Reply with quote

Hi Art,
Thanks; I'm aware of the 175. I'm sure it's a fine unit, but it ain't cheap, considering that it only has one function. Both the 430 & 480 include a comm radio and an alternate (backup) means of nav/approach. GPS outages here in the South are, if not frequent, common enough that I wouldn't want to be dependent solely on GPS in IFR conditions.

Charlie

On 5/13/2021 9:42 AM, Art Zemon wrote:

[...]

cluros(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430 Reply with quote

Charlie,

Your diametrically opposed opinions are both correct. The 480 has more functionality and is more complex but once you learn how to use it, it is easier for complex IFR. The 430 is much more simple and intuitive so much easier to pick up and use for simple flights and IFR procedures.
The common problem with both is lack of support. The 430W is still supported by Garmin ... today. It might not be tomorrow.

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_5489770090366040310_m_-7514915172799506573_m_6093873194344501072_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2][/url]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
jquinn3

Joined: 22 Nov 2010

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430 Reply with quote

Don,
Garmin dropped all maint/repair support for the 480 last year. May explain why costs are lower.
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 10:48 AM rd2 <rd2(at)dejazzd.com (rd2(at)dejazzd.com)> wrote:

[quote]Or its bigger brother GNX375, which adds an ADS-B (Out and In) x-ponder to the GPS175. Of course with GNX375 you get 2 equipment pieces out, if one fails and needs to go to the shop.

I have found the GPS175/GNX375 leaning curve not steep and the touchscreen fine, even for aging eyes, despite the small dimensions.
Rumen

---

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430 Reply with quote

Again, serious money vs features/abilities. I already have a Garmin 327 in my flying -6, and in my -7 project. I just added ADSB out/in to the -6 via the uAvionics EchoUAT *with an approved position source* for ~$1400. I can't make sense of paying 2 or 3 times that for the 'gubmnt' to track non-stop my every move.

I'm not yet instrument rated; may never be. I don't fly enough to justify the rather extreme expense of the new tech. I'm looking for an affordable option that would enable training, if I decide to pursue the rating.

Charlie

On 5/13/2021 10:44 AM, rd2 wrote:

[quote] body {height: 100%; color:#000000; font-size:14pt; font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;} Or its bigger brother GNX375, which adds an ADS-B (Out and In) x-ponder to the GPS175. Of course with GNX375 you get 2 equipment pieces out, if one fails and needs to go to the shop.

I have found the GPS175/GNX375 leaning curve not steep and the touchscreen fine, even for aging eyes, despite the small dimensions.
Rumen

---

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430 Reply with quote

*That* is a useful data point. I've been expecting for some time that support to disappear for the 430, but I suppose that there are just too many in service for Garmin to take the heat over dropping support.

Of course, at the rates they are charging, they've just about stopped supporting *anything* they make.

It's time for the FAA to correct their rules for IFR GPS, and align them with the rules for VHF nav & ILS (at least in homebuilts). If it works, it's legal. That would open the door for us to use open-sourced georeferenced plates in GRT, etc EFIS, just like is already legal with non-TSO nav/ILS radios feeding the EFIS display. If a $500 GPS puck is good enough for ADSB position, why isn't it good enough for IFR nav & approaches (with current plates, of course)?

Charlie

On 5/13/2021 12:20 PM, James Quinn wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430 Reply with quote

That would likely explain the disparity of opinion. Also sounds like I'd be better off with the 430, since I'll never (if ever) be a contributor to controllers' heavy IFR work load. Smile

On 5/13/2021 12:15 PM, Sebastien wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430 Reply with quote

Unimpeachable logic; which reduces me to doing nothing (if I'm honest, the most sensible thing), or to investing much less money in a much older/cheaper nav/ILS radio, & possibly something like a KLN94, which I'm sure is also unsupported but the pain of entry (and exit) is much lower.
Spending 10 to 20 AMUs for what could end up being, for all practical purposes in my flying world, 'art', just isn't going to happen.
On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 10:42 AM Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

Given the install costs, whether in time/effort, or in paying someone to
install, seems to me a bad idea to consider the 480 that is no longer
supported, the 430 if not upgraded to WAAS, which is barely supported,
and even the WAAS unit that is likely to go unsupported within the next
5 years. I made the choice to go to a 650 about 7-8 years ago for that
reason, and they are ever closer to becoming boat anchors.
So, to me the discussion about ease of use between the Apollo designed
units and the Garmin is greatly overshadowed by their expected useful
life. Both original units are over 20 yrs old, using computer chips not
made for 20 yrs, and even the upgraded WAAS units are already 13 yrs
old. It seems like very few avionics with chips and displays that wear
out are supported much past 20 yrs and some much less.

On 5/13/2021 6:54 AM, Charlie England wrote:
> Have any of you IFR flyers flown both the 430 & 480, and can give a
> comparison of the two? I'm toying with the idea of adding an approach
> certified GPS to the RV, but I'm 'not yet rated', so I truly don't know
> what I don't know. I do know that the 430 is far more common, and the
> 480 seems to sell for less money in the used market. I've heard only two
> opinions comparing the two; diametrically opposed. Each said their
> choice was far easier to use in an IFR environment. Not an adequate
> sample size, so I'd like to get a bit more of a consensus.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
david(at)carter.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430 Reply with quote

Have you considered an SL-30?

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 12:25 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Unimpeachable logic; which reduces me to doing nothing (if I'm honest, the most sensible thing), or to investing much less money in a much older/cheaper nav/ILS radio, & possibly something like a KLN94, which I'm sure is also unsupported but the pain of entry (and exit) is much lower.
Spending 10 to 20 AMUs for what could end up being, for all practical purposes in my flying world, 'art', just isn't going to happen.
On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 10:42 AM Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

Given the install costs, whether in time/effort, or in paying someone to
install, seems to me a bad idea to consider the 480 that is no longer
supported, the 430 if not upgraded to WAAS, which is barely supported,
and even the WAAS unit that is likely to go unsupported within the next
5 years. I made the choice to go to a 650 about 7-8 years ago for that
reason, and they are ever closer to becoming boat anchors.
So, to me the discussion about ease of use between the Apollo designed
units and the Garmin is greatly overshadowed by their expected useful
life. Both original units are over 20 yrs old, using computer chips not
made for 20 yrs, and even the upgraded WAAS units are already 13 yrs
old. It seems like very few avionics with chips and displays that wear
out are supported much past 20 yrs and some much less.

On 5/13/2021 6:54 AM, Charlie England wrote:
> Have any of you IFR flyers flown both the 430 & 480, and can give a
> comparison of the two? I'm toying with the idea of adding an approach
> certified GPS to the RV, but I'm 'not yet rated', so I truly don't know
> what I don't know. I do know that the 430 is far more common, and the
> 480 seems to sell for less money in the used market. I've heard only two
> opinions comparing the two; diametrically opposed. Each said their
> choice was far easier to use in an IFR environment. Not an adequate
> sample size, so I'd like to get a bit more of a consensus.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charlie

David Carter
david(at)carter.net (david(at)carter.net)

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
n233ee(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430 Reply with quote

I am on your side Charlie England!

Quote:
On May 14, 2021, at 11:27 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Unimpeachable logic; which reduces me to doing nothing (if I'm honest, the most sensible thing), or to investing much less money in a much older/cheaper nav/ILS radio, & possibly something like a KLN94, which I'm sure is also unsupported but the pain of entry (and exit) is much lower.
Spending 10 to 20 AMUs for what could end up being, for all practical purposes in my flying world, 'art', just isn't going to happen.
On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 10:42 AM Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

Given the install costs, whether in time/effort, or in paying someone to
install, seems to me a bad idea to consider the 480 that is no longer
supported, the 430 if not upgraded to WAAS, which is barely supported,
and even the WAAS unit that is likely to go unsupported within the next
5 years. I made the choice to go to a 650 about 7-8 years ago for that
reason, and they are ever closer to becoming boat anchors.
So, to me the discussion about ease of use between the Apollo designed
units and the Garmin is greatly overshadowed by their expected useful
life. Both original units are over 20 yrs old, using computer chips not
made for 20 yrs, and even the upgraded WAAS units are already 13 yrs
old. It seems like very few avionics with chips and displays that wear
out are supported much past 20 yrs and some much less.

On 5/13/2021 6:54 AM, Charlie England wrote:
> Have any of you IFR flyers flown both the 430 & 480, and can give a
> comparison of the two? I'm toying with the idea of adding an approach
> certified GPS to the RV, but I'm 'not yet rated', so I truly don't know
> what I don't know. I do know that the 430 is far more common, and the
> 480 seems to sell for less money in the used market. I've heard only two
> opinions comparing the two; diametrically opposed. Each said their
> choice was far easier to use in an IFR environment. Not an adequate
> sample size, so I'd like to get a bit more of a consensus.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430 Reply with quote

Certainly. Used, the market prices I've monitored over the past few years are within a few hundred dollars of non-WAAS 430s. I've got an SL40 in the panel now; I've considered purchasing used a VAL 2000 (uses the SL30 protocol), and a cheap non-WAAS gps to go with it.

I really can't make any purchase make financial sense, but I need to at least be able to deceive myself on the value.

On 5/14/2021 11:42 AM, David Carter wrote:

Quote:
Have you considered an SL-30?

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 12:25 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Unimpeachable logic; which reduces me to doing nothing (if I'm honest, the most sensible thing), or to investing much less money in a much older/cheaper nav/ILS radio, & possibly something like a KLN94, which I'm sure is also unsupported but the pain of entry (and exit) is much lower.

Spending 10 to 20 AMUs for what could end up being, for all practical purposes in my flying world, 'art', just isn't going to happen.

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 10:42 AM Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

Given the install costs, whether in time/effort, or in paying someone to
install, seems to me a bad idea to consider the 480 that is no longer
supported, the 430 if not upgraded to WAAS, which is barely supported,
and even the WAAS unit that is likely to go unsupported within the next
5 years. I made the choice to go to a 650 about 7-8 years ago for that
reason, and they are ever closer to becoming boat anchors.
So, to me the discussion about ease of use between the Apollo designed
units and the Garmin is greatly overshadowed by their expected useful
life. Both original units are over 20 yrs old, using computer chips not
made for 20 yrs, and even the upgraded WAAS units are already 13 yrs
old. It seems like very few avionics with chips and displays that wear
out are supported much past 20 yrs and some much less.

On 5/13/2021 6:54 AM, Charlie England wrote:
> Have any of you IFR flyers flown both the 430 & 480, and can give a
> comparison of the two? I'm toying with the idea of adding an approach
> certified GPS to the RV, but I'm 'not yet rated', so I truly don't know
> what I don't know. I do know that the 430 is far more common, and the
> 480 seems to sell for less money in the used market. I've heard only two
> opinions comparing the two; diametrically opposed. Each said their
> choice was far easier to use in an IFR environment. Not an adequate
> sample size, so I'd like to get a bit more of a consensus.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charlie

David Carter
david(at)carter.net (david(at)carter.net)

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
art(at)zemon.name
Guest

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: opinions needed: Apollo/Garmin GNS480 vs Garmin 430 Reply with quote

Charlie,
I have hundreds of hours flying behind a KLN94; I had one in my Arrow (which I sold when I bought my BD-4C kit). I would not willingly fly with a KLN94 again. Compared to the current generation of Garmins, the user interface is horrible. The screen is tiny. And the database update process is atrocious.
To update the KLN94 database, you have a couple of choices. a) You can connect a computer running Windows 95 (that is the last version supported by Bendix King's software, IIRC) to the KLN94 via a serial cable (yes! serial, not USB) and run the magic software for about 20 minutes. b) You can use a specially modified CompactFlash card which has to be written with a no-longer-produced CF card writer by the magic software.
Yes, the Garmins are expensive. But having used them, they are worth every penny. Garmin got the UI right.
I have VAL nav and comm radios. They are OK. Would I buy them again? Probably. Are they as good as Garmins? No. Like you, I bought them for the size and because the SL30 and SL40 are pretty darned expensive.
I don't remember what you have for primary instrumentation. I installed an MGL glass panel. It's built-in GPS is excellent. I happily used it for primary navigation before installing the GPS175. If you don't need your GPS to be IFR-certified, have you considered something like this? It looks like you can get a whole MGL MX1 system for under $2000. See https://www.michiganavionics.com/product-category/efis/
One last thought, the MGL GPS antenna is a little puck which you install inside the airplane. I thought that was bogus but did as instructed. I have it under the windshield, and it works beautifully, regardless of my direction of flight. My airplane has an aluminum fuselage. The MGL GPS actually tracks better than the Garmin.
Cheers,
    -- Art Z.

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/Friendship is like a stone. A stone has no value, but when you rub two stones together properly, sparks of fire emerge.
Rabbi Mordechai of Lechovitz

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours