Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Larger oil cooler - Classic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michalm

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Larger oil cooler - Classic Reply with quote

Hello fellow Europa enthusiasts!

I'm trying to solve the oil cooling issue in my 912 ULS powered Classic. I have the standard cooling setup with a 10 row oil cooler behind the port radiator and slightly enlarged cowl outlets. On hot days (30 C) and loaded to max weight I very quickly reach 120 C oil temp during a climb of just 2000 ft. If I let it cruise a bit it will go down to 115 C within a few minutes, 110 C if I reach cooler air higher up. The coolant stays below 90 C, except the climb phase where it reaches around 100 C. So far after reading your past discussions I came up with 2 possible solutions:
1. Moving the oil cooler below the spinner.
2. Installing an oil/water heat exchanger to supplement the oil cooler.

The first is a bit invasive and as I'm not the original builder I don't feel fully confident to perform, yet. The second one is tempting but I thought about trying a simpler solution first: exchanging the oil cooler for a larger model. Mocal makes various sizes - the 13 row should fit without issues and perhaps the 16 row version will fit as well (if it can clear the exhaust pipe).

Has anyone tried this approach? How effective this may be without enlarging the cowl outlets? According to charts on Mocal website I should expect a reduction of oil temp of around 8 C (16 row vs 10 row), but that assumes a free air flow which is most likely not the case inside the cowling.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Larger oil cooler - Classic Reply with quote

Hi Michalm,
Best solution is to reposition the oil coolant below the spinner. An alteration to the lower cowl with a inlet for the oil cooler. Easily done with composite experience or get someone to do it for you. No bull nose required just keep with the original profile. See photos. I have to place a barrier in winter to keep the temperature up 110C Rotax prefers the engine to run at. Works very well.
Cheers,
Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton
CHRISTCHURCH 8052
Hom 03315166

Quote:
On 13/05/2021, at 18:53, michalm <m.milos(at)me.com> wrote:

Hello fellow Europa enthusiasts!

I'm trying to solve the oil cooling issue in my 912 ULS powered Classic. I have the standard cooling setup with a 10 row oil cooler behind the port radiator and slightly enlarged cowl outlets. On hot days (30 C) and loaded to max weight I very quickly reach 120 C oil temp during a climb of just 2000 ft. If I let it cruise a bit it will go down to 115 C within a few minutes, 110 C if I reach cooler air higher up. The coolant stays below 90 C, except the climb phase where it reaches around 100 C. So far after reading your past discussions I came up with 2 possible solutions:
1. Moving the oil cooler below the spinner.
2. Installing an oil/water heat exchanger to supplement the oil cooler.

The first is a bit invasive and as I'm not the original builder I don't feel fully confident to perform, yet. The second one is tempting but I thought about trying a simpler solution first: exchanging the oil cooler for a larger model. Mocal makes various sizes - the 13 row should fit without issues and perhaps the 16 row version will fit as well (if it can clear the exhaust pipe).

Has anyone tried this approach? How effective this may be without enlarging the cowl outlets? According to charts on Mocal website I should expect a reduction of oil temp of around 8 C (16 row vs 10 row), but that assumes a free air flow which is most likely not the case inside the cowling.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=501888#501888

====================================

Quote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.76 KB
 Viewed:  4963 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

Griffo

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger oil cooler - Classic Reply with quote

Just to expand the conversation and possibly take a lateral approach:

Most people assume you must have a heat exchanger (coolant radiator and oil coolers) located at the front of the cowling, however I have seen several set ups (not Europa) where the heat exchangers are located in non traditional positions, such as above the engine, even in the warm exit air about to depart the cowling.

The message; dont assume as far forward as possible, is the only location.

spcialeffects

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Larger oil cooler - Classic Reply with quote

The repositioning of the oil rad is called the tropical chin mod, here’s the link for the UK LAA Mod

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/engineering/Standard%20Mods/11362%20Chin.pdf

Hope this helps

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Larger oil cooler - Classic Reply with quote

My two cents.
My original solution was to install the original oil cooler under the spinner without a chin scoop.
The client made no attempt to duct out the bottom. In a test it was fine so he flew like that for years until selling the plane.
It worked better than behind the glycol cooler. The LAA mod is better as it allows for more room under the muffler for proper ducting.

In "Cooling 102" for the Jabiru, I show a duct arrangement, I've had excellent results making the climb oil temps behave. A bit cool on cruise but 180 F in summer at 7500 feet is not unacceptable. It runs too cool in the winter without a plate on the front or better yet a cowl flap to control oil temp. Same idea can work in the Classic, but it is tight depending on your muffler arrangement. The same technique is used in the LAA mod for the inlet.

Another thought:
Creighton Smith (80 HP Classic) (crouton(at)well.com) uses a Lenovo glycol to oil cooler. He recommends the larger one. It plumbs into the glycol cooler 1 inch hose and oil lines and lies on the top of the engine in his Classic Mono. Not very heavy either. No cowl cutting.
Oil and glycol temps run very similar and warm up is faster. On the hottest days, he will cruise climb at 90 Kts for ideal temps in the climb during summer. At high altitude cruise conditions, everything is steady about 200 ish Fahrenheit .
His cowl exit is wider than usual to get better cooling in the Key West Florida summers. He cut off the third leg of the original Classic muffler and put on a single pipe exit to reduce back pressure on his 80 HP Rotax.
Winter is the hard nut to crack in aircraft. His was no different. He uses tape to block his gills on the top cowl, tape across the radiators, and an in-flight adjustable plate across the cowl exit to block his air exit to try to keep it warm enough when temps are below freezing on start up and terribly cold at altitude when he is flying in Canada. You may wish to talk to him and get real data not just vague numbers.

Talk to your inspector and make sure your country rules allow modifications. Talk to real users who have tried to solve the same issues. If you are in a hot climate, or are only a summer flier it makes a difference on what approach you take.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

--

michalm

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger oil cooler - Classic Reply with quote

Tim, your modification looks interesting and not very intrusive. Thanks for the photo.

Bud, thank you for your detailed comments.

Area-51

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Larger oil cooler - Classic Reply with quote

I purchased a Classic recently here in Australia; it gets hot here in summer... really hot... the previous owner was experiencing higher than comfortable oil temperatures with the 912UL; especially while waiting for traffic during taxi and climb out; so he fitted an additional inline cooler off a 2001 BMW/Mercedes and mounted it to the firewall... short story, it worked, and was a simple solution with ample room and airflow to provide results... just ensure the additional oil lines are sufficiently protected from exhaust headers and muffler heat.

Griffo

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Larger oil cooler - Classic Reply with quote

Hi Area-51 - As I said, the location of heat exchange units, need not be in the oh so conventional, forward location.

My last aircraft had the oil cooler mounted, at a right angle, low on the firewall, in the exit air from cowling - worked very well.

Did you purchase 19-4293?

Area-51

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger oil cooler - Classic Reply with quote

Hi Griffo, yes, now custodian of John Baker’s build and undertaking some improvements, starting with Mod77... there will be more improvements which I will post once they’re proven.

Griffo

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger oil cooler - Classic Reply with quote

Very far from being knowledgeable on Mod 77 (Europa in general) - just had a quick read through Mod 77- does not appear to be applicable to the Europa Classic - your aircraft?

Griffo

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Larger oil cooler - Classic Reply with quote

My apologies Area 51 - it seems that if your Europa Classic has already had the the Mod 43 tail wheel upgrade, your aircraft may indeed benefit from Mod 77

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: