Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kolb factory question and serial numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaydub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Kolb factory question and serial numbers Reply with quote

Past: So a few weeks ago I bought a partially completed Firestar II kit 1 and 2 in SW Ohio that was delivered late 2014/early 2015 from Kolb.  I had asked on this list earlier about transporting and I did get it with a minivan and a wooden roof rack that held the boom tube, completed wings and ailerons.  I had no damage even though I travelled over 1200 miles with it.  The weather was perfect with no precip and only sunshine.  Everything fit with a lot of room to spare inside the van even with the cage, nose pod, tail feathers, etc.  It worked well.  The extra drag took my mileage from 25 to 14 mpg and I had to keep the van under 65mph or the transmission kept shifting in and out of OD.

The seller and I both filled out the FAA Form 8050-2 Aircraft Bill of Sale but crossed out the word "aircraft" and printed in "kit" as I had read in some instructions.  However, the seller didn't have a serial number and there isn't anything on the paperwork/Invoice from Kolb so we left it blank.  I did email customersupport(at)kolbaircraft.com as shown the Kolb website 2 weeks ago asking for a SN and never heard anything back.  I then emailed support(at)kolbaircraft.com (was listed in the builders manual) and that came back as a bad address.  I remember seeing on this list they weren't answering the phone much these days and that they preferred email so I didn't call.  Does anyone know if the address of customersupport(at)kolbaircraft.com is any good?  Is there a better email address?  

Currently: I'm in the process of reading the builders manual and looking over the plans.  I've inspected some of the tail feathers and need to inspect the wings to see if I want to re-do anything but so far all looks good.  I hope to get things put back together to get it on it's gear, get the wings and tail feathers fitted and rigged so I can start the covering.  Saturday I just finished the overhaul of a 447 I had laying around from a partial Firestar II I bought last year that I plan to use on this kit I just picked up.  

Any advice on getting a serial number?  

Thanks,
Jay

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Kolb factory question and serial numbers Reply with quote

The serial number should be stamped into the plate at the front of the main tube in front of the engine mount.

The stamping on my Firefly was not very deep and the powder coat made it a little hard to see, but it is there. Sequence is FF-13-04-86 for Firefly, 2013, 4th quarter, #86

Hope this helps

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Kolb factory question and serial numbers Reply with quote

On my MKIII it is stamped into the end plate at the rear of the upper fuselage tube just below the rear motor mounts.

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
jaydub

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Kolb factory question and serial numbers Reply with quote

I had read (I believe in the builders manual) that what is stamped in that end plate is a cage number and it is NOT a serial number.  The manual says to get in touch with Kolb for the serial number and that is what I am trying to do.  Perhaps, when Kolb went to the guys in KY they use the cage number as a SN?  I'm not sure.  The manual I have is from 2014 but it still shows all the phone numbers and email addresses from the Kolb guys in PA so this type of info is not clear if things changed when the KY guys took over.

Jay

Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 7:24 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Kolb factory question and serial numbers

On my MKIII it is stamped into the end plate at the rear of the upper fuselage tube just below the rear motor mounts.

--------
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=501062#501062

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Kolb factory question and serial numbers Reply with quote

The cage number is the serial number.

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 11:52:09 AM EDT, Jay Dub <bearhawk(at)gmx.com> wrote:

--> Kolb-List message posted by: Jay Dub <bearhawk(at)gmx.com (bearhawk(at)gmx.com)>

I had read (I believe in the builders manual) that what is stamped in that end plate is a cage number and it is NOT a serial number. The manual says to get in touch with Kolb for the serial number and that is what I am trying to do. Perhaps, when Kolb went to the guys in KY they use the cage number as a SN?  I'm not sure. The manual I have is from 2014 but it still shows all the phone numbers and email addresses from the Kolb guys in PA so this type of info is not clear if things changed when the KY guys took over.

Jay

Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 7:24 AM

From: "Richard Pike" <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)>

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com (kolb-list(at)matronics.com)

Subject: Re: Kolb factory question and serial numbers

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <thegreybaron(at)charter.net (thegreybaron(at)charter.net)>

--------

Richard Pike

Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Kingsport, TN 3TN0

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=501062#501062

_-= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,

http://www.matronics.cnbsp; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -http://wiki.matronics.com[/url]
http://www.matron===

Ceengland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Kolb factory question and serial numbers Reply with quote

On 3/22/2021 10:25 PM, Jay Dub wrote:
Quote:

Past: So a few weeks ago I bought a partially completed Firestar II kit 1 and 2 in SW Ohio that was delivered late 2014/early 2015 from Kolb.  I had asked on this list earlier about transporting and I did get it with a minivan and a wooden roof rack that held the boom tube, completed wings and ailerons.  I had no damage even though I travelled over 1200 miles with it.  The weather was perfect with no precip and only sunshine.  Everything fit with a lot of room to spare inside the van even with the cage, nose pod, tail feathers, etc.  It worked well.  The extra drag took my mileage from 25 to 14 mpg and I had to keep the van under 65mph or the transmission kept shifting in and out of OD.

The seller and I both filled out the FAA Form 8050-2 Aircraft Bill of Sale but crossed out the word "aircraft" and printed in "kit" as I had read in some instructions.  However, the seller didn't have a serial number and there isn't anything on the paperwork/Invoice from Kolb so we left it blank.  I did email customersupport(at)kolbaircraft.com as shown the Kolb website 2 weeks ago asking for a SN and never heard anything back.  I then emailed support(at)kolbaircraft.com (was listed in the builders manual) and that came back as a bad address.  I remember seeing on this list they weren't answering the phone much these days and that they preferred email so I didn't call.  Does anyone know if the address of customersupport(at)kolbaircraft.com is any good?  Is there a better email address?

Currently: I'm in the process of reading the builders manual and looking over the plans.  I've inspected some of the tail feathers and need to inspect the wings to see if I want to re-do anything but so far all looks good.  I hope to get things put back together to get it on it's gear, get the wings and tail feathers fitted and rigged so I can start the covering.  Saturday I just finished the overhaul of a 447 I had laying around from a partial Firestar II I bought last year that I plan to use on this kit I just picked up.

Any advice on getting a serial number?

Thanks,
Jay
Are you concerned about proving to the FAA that you actually own the

kit, and making sure that it can be registered as a homebuilt
experimental, or are you just wondering about what serial number to use?

If you're just wondering what serial number to use on the registration
itself, you can use whatever you want. If you're the builder of record
(you finish a *never FAA registered* kit), your name will be shown as
manufacturer and the serial number will be whatever you put on the
application.

Charlie

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

jaydub

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Kolb factory question and serial numbers Reply with quote

Hi Charlie,
Quote:
From past experience with a friend registering a partially built kit that he finished, the FAA wanted the original factory invoice/bill of sale for the original purchaser and the form 8050-2 Bill of sale from that original owner to him showing the chain of custody.  If there were multiple owners, there had to be an 8050-2 for each previous owner. It is for this reason I want the serial number to properly reflect that chain of custody so when I finish the plane and try to get the paperwork finished, everything is proper and in order.

I knew I read about the cage number so I just leafed through and found on page 71 of the Firestar builder's manual it says "Call Kolb Aircraft Inc for your serial number.  Your serial number will be FS (for Firestar) followed with a 3 digit number, example FS-123. The number on the rear of the engine mount tube is the cage number - not the serial number."

Jay

Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 10:04 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Kolb factory question and serial numbers

Are you concerned about proving to the FAA that you actually own the
kit, and making sure that it can be registered as a homebuilt
experimental, or are you just wondering about what serial number to use?

If you're just wondering what serial number to use on the registration
itself, you can use whatever you want. If you're the builder of record
(you finish a *never FAA registered* kit), your name will be shown as
manufacturer and the serial number will be whatever you put on the
application.

Charlie

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Kolb factory question and serial numbers Reply with quote

Look at it this way; the number on the end of my tube is M3-215. Whatever that number is, the FAA has been happy with it since 1995, it's on all my paperwork, and I think I can live with it.
May you be as fortunate, regardless of the number you use!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: