Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiple switches to the same light?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jluckey(at)pacbell.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Multiple switches to the same light? Reply with quote

Dan,
You will want to separate the power sources.
You could accomplish this with a SPDT on-off-on switch. The Center position would be Off, the Up position (full bright) would be fed with full power and the Down position (dimmer mode) would be fed from the dimmer just like the other panel lights you want to dim.
The terminals on the switch would be as follows:
top terminal - full power (from lighting circuit)
center terminal - feed to the map light
bottom terminal - dimmer output (in parallel with other panel lights)
You could run into issues if the map light draws considerably more current than the other panel lights. It might cause un-even dimming when the map light is on the dimmer circuit.
Also, you have to be sure not to exceed the power output of your dimmer with the addition of the map light. You would have to experiment a little to see if it will work to your satisfaction.

-Jeff

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 08:10:13 PM PST, Dan <limadelta(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Is there anything wrong with (i) wiring a Map Light to a switch with that name on the panel so that the light it can simply be turned on and off, AND (ii) wiring it to a dimmer circuit that controls some additional lights so that they can all be dimmed at once? If only the Map Light switch were turned on, the Map Light would just come on. If only the dimmer were turned on, the Map Light would get brighter and dimmer with adjustments to the pot.  If both were turned on, what happens? I would assume the dimmer would just be ineffective.

I want to be able to turn the light on and off--full power--and be able to separately dim it with others. Can I just do it the way I described?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: