Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Thoughts on Z101
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Page

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

I'm starting to sneak up on wiring my Kitfox project, so I've been looking over Z101 in detail. Take a look at this idea to simplify the Brown-Out Booster and AUX BUS Normal Feed path, and tell me if I'm out to lunch:

Z101, for reference: https://tinyurl.com/1120mgeh

1. Delete the AUX BUS normal feed path from the bridge rectifier.

2. Remove the Brown-Out Booster input feed from the Engine Start pushbutton switch, and instead connect it directly to the Battery Contactor with a short-as-practical 14AWG wire.

3. Remove the output of the Brown-Out Booster from the normally-closed contact of the AUX BUS Alternate Feed Relay, and instead connect it to the AUX BUS normal feed point that was previously supplied by the bridge rectifier, again with a short-as-practical 14AWG wire.

Since the DC-to-DC boost topology (see attached image) offers no barrier to forward current flow, it can pass normal feed current for the AUX BUS even when it isn't needed for boost duty. Its rectifier will prevent backfeed from the AUX BUS to the MAIN BUS in the event that the AUX BUS Alternate Feed Relay is closed. If the Brown-Out Booster's output is set to 12V, then its controller IC will simply stop switching any time its output voltage exceeds that value. During engine start, the controller IC will already be "awake" and will start switching the instant its input sags to one diode drop above 12V.

A few issues that I'm still mulling over:

1. This proposal assumes that the Brown-Out Booster is tested to ensure that its inductor and rectifier can continuously pass full running current for the AUX BUS, and any later additions to the AUX BUS will have to be considered with this limitation in mind.

2. Is it acceptable -- or even a good idea -- to connect a Brown-Out Booster directly to the Battery Contactor with no fuse, as if it were integral to the AUX BUS?

3. If the answer to #2 is no, then does it make sense to fuse the Brown-Out Booster/AUX BUS Normal Feed, and if so, at what value? This is complicated by the fact that Booster input current increases faster than output current, and it also increases as input voltage decreases.

Thoughts?

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Simplified Boost Topology.jpg
 Description:
Simplified Boost Topology
 Filesize:  25.74 KB
 Viewed:  8737 Time(s)

Simplified Boost Topology.jpg

user9253

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

Eric, what advantage does your proposal have over Z-101?
Why eliminate the normal diode feed path to the aux bus?
You can rewire the brownout booster whether the diode is there or not.
It is a bad idea to have two fuses in series. Z-101 does not fuse the aux bus.
Is a brown out booster really necessary? Doesn't your EFIS have an internal backup battery?
My radio recovers in a few seconds after engine cranking.
My transponder takes longer to establish its GPS location. But so what?
Why even supply a whole bus with brownout protection?
Why is a separate aux bus needed?
Just connect one or two loads to a brownout booster using dual diodes.
Consider the attached electrical drawing. Just the relay can be energized for ground operations.
In the unlikely event that the main contactor fails in flight, the relay can be energized.
With a single bus, there is no need to remember what loads are on what bus.
If it is desired to conserve the battery, just shut off unneeded loads.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Contactor Parallel Relay.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.23 KB
 Viewed:  8723 Time(s)

Contactor Parallel Relay.jpg

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

Quote:

Thoughts?

Can you elaborate on your design goals?

The original goal was to craft a tinker-toy/leggo
style architecture offering a variety of mix/match
features. Each feature enjoyed two feed paths.
The presence of no feature was dependent on
configuration of other features (except for the
brownout booster which goes away if its target
bus is not installed).

All busses are hot any time the main bus is
hot irrespective of other switch positions.

Busses wrapped around the main bus may
be selectively powered up independent
of the main bus.

A full-up system is managed with only 3
toggle switches.

Re brownout booster: I'm pondering a plan-d . . .
or are we up to 'e'? There are dozens of suitable
step up devices on the market but I have no knowledge
of their 'spool up' times nor can I personally
vouch for their specifications without putting
the device under test on the bench and doing
some measurements.

I think I have a way to craft a brown-out booster
of KNOWN performance thus avoiding the risks
for incorporating the Chinese unknowns. Watch
this space.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

Quote:

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/simplified_boost_topology_619.jpg

A full schematic of the proposed boost
system would make it easier to 'grok'.

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

Bob I think a clearance delivery bus with brownout protection is an important design goal for any IFR OBAM aircraft. The ability to get the clearance, program it, and then start the engine rather than doing it all with the engine running is almost a necessity in my mind.

I may have enough equipment here that you could unload the testing portion onto me. If this interests you please get in touch and I will order the parts and assemble and test a system to your specs.
On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 7:02 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Attachments:

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

Voyager

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

When I was flying IFR regularly in my younger days, I rarely found this to be necessary and only at large airports like Philly, Boston, etc. At my home field, ELM, it would take the engine longer to warm up than it took me to get my IFR clearance and taxi clearance. So, I fired up the engine and then used the warm-up time to contact clearance delivery and ground and begin taxi

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

Matthew I suspect your younger days were a long time ago Smile. Were you programming routes into a navigation system? Setting up SIDs?

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 5:32 AM Matthew S. Whiting <m.whiting(at)frontier.com (m.whiting(at)frontier.com)> wrote:

Quote:
When I was flying IFR regularly in my younger days, I rarely found this to be necessary and only at large airports like Philly, Boston, etc.  At my home field, ELM, it would take the engine longer to warm up than it took me to get my IFR clearance and taxi clearance.  So, I fired up the engine and then used the warm-up time to contact clearance delivery and ground and begin taxi.

At larger airports where you may have to wait 5-10 minutes for clearance, having one radio on a separate bus makes sense.  Much depends on where you fly more often.
Matt

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 27, 2021, at 10:27 PM, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Bob I think a clearance delivery bus with brownout protection is an important design goal for any IFR OBAM aircraft. The ability to get the clearance, program it, and then start the engine rather than doing it all with the engine running is almost a necessity in my mind.

I may have enough equipment here that you could unload the testing portion onto me. If this interests you please get in touch and I will order the parts and assemble and test a system to your specs.
On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 7:02 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Attachments:

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

========== ========== ========== ========== ==========

Voyager

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

I learned to fly in a 150 whose radio could either comm or nav, but not both at the same time. 😂

Most of my instrument flying (other than training in a PA-180) was in my C-182 that had only a Garmin 150 GPS. So, all procedures were essentially flown manually including SIDS and STARs. My 182 did not even have an A/P so I got fairly proficient at single pilot IFR hand flown.
I plan to put a full Garmin digital panel in the S-21 I am currently building. IFR with today’s avionics is stupid easy. If you haven’t hand flown an NDB approach in moderate turbulence, you really aren’t an instrument pilot. 😂. I actually had to do that on my instrument checkride.
Matt

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 28, 2021, at 2:06 PM, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Matthew I suspect your younger days were a long time ago Smile. Were you programming routes into a navigation system? Setting up SIDs?

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 5:32 AM Matthew S. Whiting <m.whiting(at)frontier.com (m.whiting(at)frontier.com)> wrote:

Quote:
When I was flying IFR regularly in my younger days, I rarely found this to be necessary and only at large airports like Philly, Boston, etc. At my home field, ELM, it would take the engine longer to warm up than it took me to get my IFR clearance and taxi clearance. So, I fired up the engine and then used the warm-up time to contact clearance delivery and ground and begin taxi.

At larger airports where you may have to wait 5-10 minutes for clearance, having one radio on a separate bus makes sense. Much depends on where you fly more often.
Matt

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 27, 2021, at 10:27 PM, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Bob I think a clearance delivery bus with brownout protection is an important design goal for any IFR OBAM aircraft. The ability to get the clearance, program it, and then start the engine rather than doing it all with the engine running is almost a necessity in my mind.

Quote:
Quote:

Attachments:

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

If you put a Garmin navigator in it, you'll want that brownout booster.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 11:45 AM Matthew S. Whiting <m.whiting(at)frontier.com (m.whiting(at)frontier.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I learned to fly in a 150 whose radio could either comm or nav, but not both at the same time.  😂

Most of my instrument flying (other than training in a PA-180) was in my C-182 that had only a Garmin 150 GPS.  So, all procedures were essentially flown manually including SIDS and STARs.  My 182 did not even have an A/P so I got fairly proficient at single pilot IFR hand flown.
I plan to put a full Garmin digital panel in the S-21 I am currently building.  IFR with today’s avionics is stupid easy.  If you haven’t hand flown an NDB approach in moderate turbulence, you really aren’t an instrument pilot.  😂. I actually had to do that on my instrument checkride.
Matt

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jan 28, 2021, at 2:06 PM, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
When I was flying IFR regularly in my younger days, I rarely found this to be necessary and only at large airports like Philly, Boston, etc.  At my home field, ELM, it would take the engine longer to warm up than it took me to get my IFR clearance and taxi clearance.  So, I fired up the engine and then used the warm-up time to contact clearance delivery and ground and begin taxi.

At larger airports where you may have to wait 5-10 minutes for clearance, having one radio on a separate bus makes sense.  Much depends on where you fly more often.
Matt

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Attachments:

Bob . . .

out of that stuff?"

rick(at)beebe.org

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

Yes. My G3X Touch screen survives engine start but the GTN 750 reboots. I need to figure out a brownout booster too.

When I was getting my instrument rating I had a Piper Warrior that I upgraded with a GNS-430. I specifically removed the ADF from that plane so they wouldn't make me fly any NDB approaches on the checkride. Smile

--Rick

On 1/28/2021 2:52 PM, Sebastien wrote:

Quote:

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 11:45 AM Matthew S. Whiting <m.whiting(at)frontier.com (m.whiting(at)frontier.com)> wrote:

Quote:

I plan to put a full Garmin digital panel in the S-21 I am currently building.  IFR with today’s avionics is stupid easy.  If you haven’t hand flown an NDB approach in moderate turbulence, you really aren’t an instrument pilot.  😂. I actually had to do that on my instrument checkride.

Kellym

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

The two most common radios for training aircraft in the '70s, at least
before Cessna bought ARC, were the Escort 110 from Narco, and the King
KX145. Both used a single shared receiver for nav and com reception.
The fancier radios like the KX170B were refered to something like a 1
and 1/2 because they had one transmitter and two receivers, so you could
listen to com freq and keep nav signal at same time. And Matt, flying an
NDB was no big deal if you had learned the tricks of the trade. Flying
colored airways was a bigger deal because you were tracking often 50 nm
off one beacon before getting the next. Back then I flew IFR with one
digital nav com and a manually tuned ADF, no transponder, no autopilot
and AN Gyros powered by venturis etc. So you had to do identifying turns
for the controller if picked up anywhere but departing an airport.
Controllers had to do more work too. No strip printers, you had to call
Center and have them issue the clearance, write it on a strip, then
issue to the aircraft. Moving maps and stored procedures do make it much
easier. Thankfully the old AN approaches disappeared a few years before
I started flying.
Kelly

On 1/28/2021 12:37 PM, Matthew S. Whiting wrote:
Quote:
I learned to fly in a 150 whose radio could either comm or nav, but not
both at the same time.  😂

Most of my instrument flying (other than training in a PA-180) was in my
C-182 that had only a Garmin 150 GPS.  So, all procedures were
essentially flown manually including SIDS and STARs.  My 182 did not
even have an A/P so I got fairly proficient at single pilot IFR hand flown.

I plan to put a full Garmin digital panel in the S-21 I am currently
building.  IFR with today’s avionics is stupid easy.  If you haven’t
hand flown an NDB approach in moderate turbulence, you really aren’t an
instrument pilot.  😂. I actually had to do that on my instrument checkride.

Matt

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 28, 2021, at 2:06 PM, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 
> Matthew I suspect your younger days were a long time ago Smile. Were you
> programming routes into a navigation system? Setting up SIDs?
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 5:32 AM Matthew S. Whiting
> <m.whiting(at)frontier.com <mailto:m.whiting(at)frontier.com>> wrote:
>
> When I was flying IFR regularly in my younger days, I rarely found
> this to be necessary and only at large airports like Philly,
> Boston, etc.  At my home field, ELM, it would take the engine
> longer to warm up than it took me to get my IFR clearance and taxi
> clearance.  So, I fired up the engine and then used the warm-up
> time to contact clearance delivery and ground and begin taxi.
>
> At larger airports where you may have to wait 5-10 minutes for
> clearance, having one radio on a separate bus makes sense.  Much
> depends on where you fly more often.
>
> Matt
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Jan 27, 2021, at 10:27 PM, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com
>> <mailto:cluros(at)gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> 
>> Bob I think a clearance delivery bus with brownout protection is
>> an important design goal for any IFR OBAM aircraft. The ability
>> to get the clearance, program it, and then start the engine
>> rather than doing it all with the engine running is almost a
>> necessity in my mind.
>>
>> I may have enough equipment here that you could unload the
>> testing portion onto me. If this interests you please get in
>> touch and I will order the parts and assemble and test a system
>> to your specs.
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 7:02 PM Robert L. Nuckolls, III
>> <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com
>> <mailto:nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Attachments:
>>>
>>> http://forums.matronics.com//files/simplified_boost_topology_619.jpg
>>> <http://forums.matronics.com//files/simplified_boost_topology_619.jpg>
>>>
>>
>>    A full schematic of the proposed boost
>>    system would make it easier to 'grok'.
>>
>> __
>>
>> __   Bob . . .
>>
>>   Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
>>   survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
>>   out of that stuff?"
>>
>> ========== ========== ========== ========== ==========
>

Ceengland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

I posted here a few months ago about my brownout solution on my GRT EFIS. The GRT, like most flight critical electronics these days, has multiple diode-isolated inputs. I just tapped the power feed wire to the EFIS, used it to also power a small 4A boost converter (small enough to fit in a pill bottle) that was set to step up voltage to ~11.5V (minimum boost to reliably keep the EFIS online). The booster output feeds into one of the extra power inputs on the EFIS. During cranking, the booster will keep voltage into the spare power terminal at 12V; in normal operation, it's powered and its output is the same as bus voltage. Slight parasitic draw during operation, but extremely simple. One really cheap device & two wires.

Charlie

On 1/28/2021 3:04 PM, Rick Beebe wrote:

Quote:
Yes. My G3X Touch screen survives engine start but the GTN 750 reboots. I need to figure out a brownout booster too.

When I was getting my instrument rating I had a Piper Warrior that I upgraded with a GNS-430. I specifically removed the ADF from that plane so they wouldn't make me fly any NDB approaches on the checkride. Smile

--Rick

On 1/28/2021 2:52 PM, Sebastien wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Eric Page

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

Thanks, fellas. I knew my thinking was a bit muddy and this was the best place for effective filtering. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

user9253 wrote:
Eric, what advantage does your proposal have over Z-101?

A bit of simplification (one less AUX BUS feed path) and the Brown-Out Booster continuously powered.

Quote:
Why eliminate the normal diode feed path to the aux bus?

Not eliminated; replaced with the booster's internal rectifier. Electrons still come from the same place, but are routed differently.

Quote:
You can rewire the brownout booster whether the diode is there or not.

Indeed, but you would end up with duplicate normal feed paths: one through the diode bridge and one through the booster.

Quote:
It is a bad idea to have two fuses in series. Z-101 does not fuse the aux bus.

Yes, I agree. I forgot that the appliances on the AUX BUS would be individually fused.

Quote:
Is a brown out booster really necessary? Doesn't your EFIS have an internal backup battery?

Internal, no. Dynon sells a separate backup battery of undisclosed chemistry, which creates a testing/maintenance burden. I would like to wire the plane such that the EFIS and a few other items share a separate bus (AUX BUS?) that is redundantly powered. The booster solves the reboot-on-engine-start problem. With those two features, Dynon's $175 battery isn't needed.

Quote:
Why even supply a whole bus with brownout protection?
Why is a separate aux bus needed?
Just connect one or two loads to a brownout booster using dual diodes.

OK, I'm beginning to see the wisdom of your questions. I plan to power the EFIS, GPS antenna, comm radio, landing light and Hobbs (minimum/emergency VFR equipment) from the AUX BUS. Given that the EFIS, and perhaps the GPS antenna, are the only things I need to protect against brown-out, I could leave Z101 alone and just feed them from the AUX BUS through the booster, much as Charlie described above.

Cheers,

Eric

Last edited by Eric Page on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
prestonkavanagh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

This has turned into a thread on alternative ways of providing a brownout bus. As discussed in the past, we don't necessarily need one. Accepting that my Garmin GPS-Comm might cutout on startup, and that there are situations where this would be inconvenient, in my Z101 design I'm including a booster (see attached photos). I built two small boxes and both work. Now I pick one and decide whether to brown-out protect a circuit or add a small brownout bus. Yes, I should add a diode. Other comments? Skip this complication entirely?

boost2.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  867.39 KB
 Viewed:  8594 Time(s)

boost2.PNG

boost1.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  953.04 KB
 Viewed:  8594 Time(s)

boost1.PNG

Ceengland

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 4:25 PM prestonkavanagh <preston.kavanagh(at)gmail.com (preston.kavanagh(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "prestonkavanagh" <preston.kavanagh(at)gmail.com (preston.kavanagh(at)gmail.com)>

This has turned into a thread on alternative ways of providing a brownout bus.  As discussed in the past, we don't necessarily need one.  Accepting that my Garmin GPS-Comm might cutout on startup, and that there are situations where this would be inconvenient, in my Z101 design I'm including a booster (see attached photos).  I built two small boxes and both work.  Now I pick one and decide whether to brown-out protect a circuit or add a small brownout bus.  Yes, I should add a diode.  Other comments?  Skip this complication entirely?

--------
PBK3
PA-12, BD-4, RV6a, gliders

Have you tested the 'dual' version for proper boost operation? The data sheet hints that it is a buck converter; not boost.
As to whether to include brownout: If there's no delay, or the delay in bootup of your installed devices isn't inconvenient, then don't install one. I had hoped that a new battery would solve my issue, but it didn't. I installed one because my older EFIS equipment requires several minutes to fully boot, and often will 'lock up' during cranking, requiring me to shut off the entire airframe to enable a re-start of the EFIS equipment. Livable in winter, but in summer, it just wastes fuel to sit idling so long. (Almost all my flying is from uncontrolled fields, so clearance delivery isn't a factor for me.)
Charlie

Eric Page

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

Ceengland wrote:
Have you tested the 'dual' version for proper boost operation? The data sheet hints that it is a buck converter; not boost.

It's buck-boost; note the two inductors. The LM2577 does boost and the LM2596 does buck.

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2577.pdf

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2596.pdf

dj_theis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

Quote:
Re brownout booster: I'm pondering a plan-d . . .
or are we up to 'e'? There are dozens of suitable
step up devices on the market but I have no knowledge
of their 'spool up' times nor can I personally
vouch for their specifications without putting
the device under test on the bench and doing
some measurements.

I purchased a couple of these a while back from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/ANMBEST-LTC1871-Converter-Adjustable-Voltmeter/dp/B08CMKGRZQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ANMBEST+2PCS+LTC1871&qid=1612318310&s=electronics&sr=1-1

Adjustable output and alleged 6amp continuous output.

I ran a quick test with a bench supply (using a GRT Sport EX EFIS as the only load). The GRT only draws about 0.5 amps so it's not much of a load but likely all I might need.

I captured two waveforms. The first with simply turning off my very dated "BK Precision, bench supply. Turning off the supply left the output voltage to decay with the internal caps bleeding down. Hardly a simulation of an engine starting.

The second might be slightly closer to a cranking environment, where I rapidly turned the voltage control knob down.

For what it's worth. I like the thought of using one that has a known design and components, as Eric is suggesting. I'll continue to test this unit but who knows how long it will last.

Dan Theis

voltage control change in bench supply with GRT SPort EX.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  voltage control change in bench supply with GRT SPort EX.pdf
 Filesize:  25.01 KB
 Downloaded:  256 Time(s)

Bench supply power down with GRT Sport EX.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Bench supply power down with GRT Sport EX.pdf
 Filesize:  24.29 KB
 Downloaded:  255 Time(s)

Scratch building Sonex #1362
Still working on the Revmaster Alternator improvement
Eric Page

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
Can you elaborate on your design goals?

- Redundant electrical supply for the engine (auto conversion with ECU and electronic ignition)
- Failure of one alternator or regulator cannot cause AOG
- Redundant electrical supply for minimum/emergency VFR equipment (EFIS, GPS, comm, landing light, Hobbs)
- Brown-out-proof EFIS installation

Quote:
Re brownout booster: I'm pondering a plan-d . . . or are we up to 'e'? There are dozens of suitable step up devices on the market but I have no knowledge of their 'spool up' times nor can I personally vouch for their specifications without putting the device under test on the bench and doing some measurements.

I think I have a way to craft a brown-out booster of KNOWN performance thus avoiding the risks for incorporating the Chinese unknowns. Watch this space.

A full schematic of the proposed boost system would make it easier to 'grok'.

A schematic for the booster I've been fiddling with is attached. It uses TI's LM3481: https://tinyurl.com/yy9twn9t+

It will grunt 7A all day. It takes about 12ms for the output to come up into a 2A load when it's powered up from cold, and if it's already powered, output never falls more than a few mV below 12V when input is cut from 14V to 10V.

It seems to work well but it's never going to be a drop-in, jellybean solution; it's all SMD, including fine-pitch and leadless components.

Thanks,

Eric

Brown-Out Booster (Rev B).pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Brown-Out Booster (Rev B).pdf
 Filesize:  23.07 KB
 Downloaded:  217 Time(s)

Eric Page

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

Bob -- was there more to be said on this topic? I answered your questions above, but the thread wandered then slipped below the noise floor...

wsimpso1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Some Thoughts on Z101 Reply with quote

Hmm,

I just read through this whole thread. The OP explained what he was
thinking of doing based upon Z101, and asked if there were issues with his approach.

What followed was questioning the OP on his motives, suggestions that the reboot might not be lengthy, and thread drift. No one responded to his query about his suggested mods to do this with less hardware and fuss.

I too find his query to be interesting, and I am still interested in the pros
and cons of his proposed mods. If anyone sees any issues the lesser experienced ones on this forum could benefit from, please address the original post.

Billski

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: