AeroElectric-List Digest: 14 Msgs - 01/23/21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
njrwwj(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: AeroElectric-List Digest: 14 Msgs - 01/23/21 Reply with quote

Remove from all lists
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad
On Sunday, January 24, 2021, 1:30 AM, AeroElectric-List Digest Server <aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com> wrote:

*

=========================
  Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive
=========================

Today's complete AeroElectric-List Digest can also be found in either of the
two Web Links listed below.  The .html file includes the Digest formatted
in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
and Message Navigation.  The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
of the AeroElectric-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
such as Notepad or with a web browser.

HTML Version:

    http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter=2021-01-23&Archive=AeroElectric

Text Version:

    http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter=2021-01-23&Archive=AeroElectric
  EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive

                          AeroElectric-List Digest Archive
                                      ---
                    Total Messages Posted Sat 01/23/21: 14

Today's Message Index:
----------------------

    1. 11:01 AM - Re: Re: Zeftronics Regulator Connection Question  (Robert L. Nuckolls, III)
    2. 11:20 AM - Re: Zeftronics Regulator Connection Question  (racerjerry)
    3. 12:15 PM - Small battery choice  (AdventureD)
    4. 12:38 PM - Re: Small battery choice  (C&K)
    5. 01:05 PM - Re: Zeftronics Regulator Connection Question  (farmrjohn)
    6. 02:51 PM - Re: Stratux RS-232 Wx+Trfc Out to various navigators...  (farmrjohn)
    7. 02:52 PM - Re: Small battery choice  (Charlie England)
    8. 03:00 PM - Re: Small battery choice  (AdventureD)
    9. 03:05 PM - Re: Small battery choice  (AdventureD)
    10. 04:04 PM - Re: Small battery choice  (Kelly McMullen)
    11. 04:51 PM - Re: Small battery choice  (user9253)
    12. 06:21 PM - Re: Re: Small battery choice  (Charlie England)
    13. 07:24 PM - Re: Small battery choice  (user9253)
    14. 07:59 PM - Re: Re: Small battery choice  (Charlie England)

________________________________  Message 1  _____________________________________
Time: 11:01:59 AM PST US
From: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Zeftronics Regulator Connection  Question

I've updated the drawing that was attached to my last
at:

https://tinyurl.com/yxg6hfrj

There are additional nuances to the Cessna alternator
incorporation philosophy that I may add later on
a second page to this drawing . . . will give
a heads-up when posted.
  Bob . . .

  Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
  survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
  out of that stuff?"

________________________________  Message 2  _____________________________________
Time: 11:20:46 AM PST US
Subject: Re: Zeftronics Regulator Connection Question
From: "racerjerry" <gnking2(at)verizon.net>
Bob, Zeftronics offers an excellent troubleshooting guide for their voltage regulators
online.  The included diagrams MAY help to clear up some of the mystery;
unfortunately, it's still a bit opaque for me.  And yes, my guess is "If it
ain't broke - Don't fix it" still applies.
https://www.zeftronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Z13PS.pdf

--------
Jerry King

________________________________  Message 3  _____________________________________
Time: 12:15:15 PM PST US
Subject: Small battery choice
From: "AdventureD" <dobrien(at)microfoundations.com>
Ordering two batteries for my ship (Z14, rear bats).  Some years ago, the good
doctor recommended three:
Quote:
A few exemplar brands and part numbers are:
Panasonic LC-RD1217
Odyssey PC680
Power Sonic PSH-12180FR

The Power Sonic is cheapest (only $60! ... quite a schoke after spending $600 on
my Mooney batteries!) and available at Amazon.  I figure there is not a lot
of difference between these, but wanted to check if anyone had reason to pick
one over the other (or another in same roughly 7"-7"-3" profile).

Cheers,
Dan

________________________________  Message 4  _____________________________________
Time: 12:38:40 PM PST US
Subject: Re: Small battery choice
From: C&K <yellowduckduo(at)gmail.com>
I've had very good results from the Dekka power sports batteries for
many years. The last ones I bought were ordered for pickup at Lowes.
American made.
Ken

On 23/01/2021 3:14 PM, AdventureD wrote:
Quote:

Ordering two batteries for my ship (Z14, rear bats).  Some years ago, the good
doctor recommended three:

Quote:

> A few exemplar brands and part numbers are:
> Panasonic LC-RD1217
> Odyssey PC680
> Power Sonic PSH-12180FR

The Power Sonic is cheapest (only $60! ... quite a schoke after spending $600
on my Mooney batteries!) and available at Amazon.  I figure there is not a lot

of difference between these, but wanted to check if anyone had reason to pick
one over the other (or another in same roughly 7"-7"-3" profile).
Quote:

Cheers,
Dan

________________________________  Message 5  _____________________________________
Time: 01:05:35 PM PST US
From: "farmrjohn" <faithvineyard(at)yahoo.com>
This installation is not in a Cessna but on an Aircoupe with an O200 engine wtih
alternator vs. the C90 it came with.  It also does not have the over voltage
sensor installed, rather utilizes the EI voltage meter for warning.  It looks
like the middle diagram on page 3 of the Zeftronics trouble shooting guide  would
show what happens and how it works if the alternator control switch is connected
direct to the I terminal vs. the S terminal if I'm interpreting it correctly.
John

________________________________  Message 6  _____________________________________
Time: 02:51:12 PM PST US
Subject: Re: Stratux RS-232 Wx+Trfc Out to various navigators...
From: "farmrjohn" <faithvineyard(at)yahoo.com>
Instead if a USB port for the RS232 out would it be possible to utilize the ethernet
port with something like:  https://tinyurl.com/yyqm2fgz

________________________________  Message 7  _____________________________________
Time: 02:52:25 PM PST US
From: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 2:20 PM AdventureD <dobrien(at)microfoundations.com>
wrote:

Quote:
dobrien(at)microfoundations.com>

Ordering two batteries for my ship (Z14, rear bats).  Some years ago, the
good doctor recommended three:
> A few exemplar brands and part numbers are:
> Panasonic LC-RD1217
> Odyssey PC680
> Power Sonic PSH-12180FR
The Power Sonic is cheapest (only $60! ... quite a schoke after spending
$600 on my Mooney batteries!) and available at Amazon.  I figure there is
not a lot of difference between these, but wanted to check if anyone had
reason to pick one over the other (or another in same roughly 7"-7"-3"
profile).

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Dan,

I've run Power Sonic, and at least 2 or 3 other 'no name' brands in a/c
over the past 20+ years (probably everything *except* Odyssey), and I've
never been able to detect any 'real world' difference among the brands. I
buy the cheapest version I can find at the time, and it 'just works'. FWIW,
there's been some internet chatter lately among the RV-x drivers that the
current (pardon the pun) crop of Odysseys have had less than stellar
lifespans (and they obviously extract a premium from your pocketbook). I've
always gotten 4-6 years out of the no-name versions, with the only
exception being one that had a pin hole in the case (shipping damage that I
missed prior to installation). Even it lasted about a year before I noticed
diminished capacity.

FWIW, there are some higher AH versions available in almost identical case
sizes. The naming convention  for most is like the PowerSonic:
12(voltage)18(AH)followed by another zero. If  you search for '12200 SLA
battery' or '12220 SLA battery' (and read the specs carefully), you can get
a 20 AH or 22AH that will fit in the same space, for about the same money.
One thing to notice on the 'no names' is that many are intended for deep
discharge applications (powered wheelchairs, etc), and will have slightly
higher internal resistance than a PC680 'starting battery'. By going to a
20 AH or 22AH version, the internal impedance will be roughly the same as
the PC680 (meaning same or better CCA), and the battery's *capacity* (total
energy content) will be 10%-15% greater than a PC680 (stuff will run longer
after an alternator failure).

My experience since late in the last century; YMMV, etc etc.

Charlie

________________________________  Message 8  _____________________________________
Time: 03:00:54 PM PST US
From: "AdventureD" <dobrien(at)microfoundations.com>
A bit more on this -- with the redundancy I have in the Z14 system, I am not looking
for a high $$ battery.  I am happy to change one out every year IF the batteries
do a good job cranking the engine.  I have a high compression IO550,
and the ability to close the cross feed to crank.  How can I tell from the data
sheets whether these batteries either alone or in combination are up to the
task?  The Power Sonic datasheet reports a max of 270 amps for 5 seconds.  There
seems to be all kinds of different reports online about what is required to
start an engine.  I don't want to get batters that aren't up to the task.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Dan

________________________________  Message 9  _____________________________________
Time: 03:05:39 PM PST US
From: "AdventureD" <dobrien(at)microfoundations.com>
Charlie, what engine are you cranking?

Best,
Dan

________________________________  Message 10  ____________________________________
Time: 04:04:17 PM PST US
From: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com>
Certainly not my experience. In aircraft, in Aridzona the typical
Concorde or Gill is good for 3-3.5 years. I have an Odyssey in my
homebuilt...a bigger 925 which has served well for 6 years. My tug uses
batteries in the size you are talking about. The manufacturer put in
Duracells. I tried generic and got 4 months. Paid twice as much for the
Duracells, and they are doing quite well.

Quote:

<mailto:dobrien(at)microfoundations.com>> wrote:

[...]

Time: 04:51:36 PM PST US
From: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>
Compare the weight.  Some batteries made in China claim to be 18 or 22 AH.
But when you look at the weight, they weigh less than a PC680 (15.4 pounds)

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours