Small battery choice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
AdventureD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

Ordering two batteries for my ship (Z14, rear bats). Some years ago, the good doctor recommended three:

Quote:
A few exemplar brands and part numbers are:
Panasonic LC-RD1217
Odyssey PC680
Power Sonic PSH-12180FR

The Power Sonic is cheapest (only $60! ... quite a schoke after spending $600 on my Mooney batteries!) and available at Amazon. I figure there is not a lot of difference between these, but wanted to check if anyone had reason to pick one over the other (or another in same roughly 7"-7"-3" profile).

Cheers,
Dan

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
yellowduckduo(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

I've had very good results from the Dekka power sports batteries for
many years.  The last ones I bought were ordered for pickup at Lowes.
American made.
Ken

On 23/01/2021 3:14 PM, AdventureD wrote:
Quote:

Ordering two batteries for my ship (Z14, rear bats). Some years ago, the good doctor recommended three:
> A few exemplar brands and part numbers are:
> Panasonic LC-RD1217
> Odyssey PC680
> Power Sonic PSH-12180FR

The Power Sonic is cheapest (only $60! ... quite a schoke after spending $600 on my Mooney batteries!) and available at Amazon. I figure there is not a lot of difference between these, but wanted to check if anyone had reason to pick one over the other (or another in same roughly 7"-7"-3" profile).

Cheers,
Dan

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 2:20 PM AdventureD <dobrien(at)microfoundations.com (dobrien(at)microfoundations.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "AdventureD" <dobrien(at)microfoundations.com (dobrien(at)microfoundations.com)>

Ordering two batteries for my ship (Z14, rear bats).  Some years ago, the good doctor recommended three:

> A few exemplar brands and part numbers are:
> Panasonic LC-RD1217
> Odyssey PC680
> Power Sonic PSH-12180FR

The Power Sonic is cheapest (only $60! ... quite a schoke after spending $600 on my Mooney batteries!) and available at Amazon.  I figure there is not a lot of difference between these, but wanted to check if anyone had reason to pick one over the other (or another in same roughly 7"-7"-3" profile).

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Dan,
I've run Power Sonic, and at least 2 or 3 other 'no name' brands in a/c over the past 20+ years (probably everything *except* Odyssey), and I've never been able to detect any 'real world' difference among the brands. I buy the cheapest version I can find at the time, and it 'just works'. FWIW, there's been some internet chatter lately among the RV-x drivers that the current (pardon the pun) crop of Odysseys have had less than stellar lifespans (and they obviously extract a premium from your pocketbook). I've always gotten 4-6 years out of the no-name versions, with the only exception being one that had a pin hole in the case (shipping damage that I missed prior to installation). Even it lasted about a year before I noticed diminished capacity.
FWIW, there are some higher AH versions available in almost identical case sizes. The naming convention  for most is like the PowerSonic: 12(voltage)18(AH)followed by another zero. If  you search for '12200 SLA battery' or '12220 SLA battery' (and read the specs carefully), you can get a 20 AH or 22AH that will fit in the same space, for about the same money. One thing to notice on the 'no names' is that many are intended for deep discharge applications (powered wheelchairs, etc), and will have slightly higher internal resistance than a PC680 'starting battery'. By going to a 20 AH or 22AH version, the internal impedance will be roughly the same as the PC680 (meaning same or better CCA), and the battery's *capacity* (total energy content) will be 10%-15% greater than a PC680 (stuff will run longer after an alternator failure).
My experience since late in the last century; YMMV, etc etc.
Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
AdventureD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Small battery choice Reply with quote

A bit more on this -- with the redundancy I have in the Z14 system, I am not looking for a high $$ battery. I am happy to change one out every year IF the batteries do a good job cranking the engine. I have a high compression IO550, and the ability to close the cross feed to crank. How can I tell from the data sheets whether these batteries either alone or in combination are up to the task? The Power Sonic datasheet reports a max of 270 amps for 5 seconds. There seems to be all kinds of different reports online about what is required to start an engine. I don't want to get batters that aren't up to the task.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Dan

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
AdventureD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Small battery choice Reply with quote

Charlie, what engine are you cranking?

Best,
Dan

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

Certainly not my experience. In aircraft, in Aridzona the typical
Concorde or Gill is good for 3-3.5 years. I have an Odyssey in my
homebuilt...a bigger 925 which has served well for 6 years. My tug uses
batteries in the size you are talking about. The manufacturer put in
Duracells. I tried generic and got 4 months. Paid twice as much for the
Duracells, and they are doing quite well.

<mailto:dobrien(at)microfoundations.com>> wrote:

[...]

Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
user9253

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Small battery choice Reply with quote

Compare the weight. Some batteries made in China claim to be 18 or 22 AH.
But when you look at the weight, they weigh less than a PC680 (15.4 pounds).
One deceiving trick is to use a larger case than necessary to hold the meager contents.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

On 1/23/2021 5:04 PM, AdventureD wrote:
Quote:

Charlie, what engine are you cranking?

Best,
Dan

O-320 8.5-1 compression for most of that time. Joe makes a reasonable

point for reality checks, but if you parallel a pair, just about
anything you purchase would crank just about any engine you choose.

Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
user9253

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Small battery choice Reply with quote

Here is another option: Mighty Max ML22-12GEL 12 Volt 22 AH
Can be ordered from Home Depot or Lowes

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

On 1/23/2021 9:23 PM, user9253 wrote:
Quote:

Here is another option: Mighty Max ML22-12GEL 12 Volt 22 AH
Can be ordered from Home Depot or Lowes

--------
Joe Gores
That looks like a reasonable option to me.

One measure for comparison (the easiest to find) is CCA (cold cranking
amps). A harder one to find in docs is internal resistance (impedance).
The PC680 is 7 milliohms (0.007). Most of the no-name stuff will be
around 0.008-0.015. The MM referenced is 0.014, which is still plenty
good enough to crank a 4 cyl Lyc, and would probably crank a 6 without
too much effort.
Odyssey
https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/ods-agm16l-battery-pc680/

MightyMax
https://smile.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Battery-Brand-Product/dp/B01JNYYXII/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_g4368549507?_encoding=UTF8&%2AVersion%2A=1&%2Aentries%2A=0&ie=UTF8

Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

At 04:59 PM 1/23/2021, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "AdventureD" <dobrien(at)microfoundations.com>

A bit more on this -- with the redundancy I have in the Z14 system, I am not looking for a high $$ battery. I am happy to change one out every year IF the batteries do a good job cranking the engine. I have a high compression IO550, and the ability to close the cross feed to crank. How can I tell from the data sheets whether these batteries either alone or in combination are up to the task?

The data sheets are no help. Too many variables.
Hands-on experience and observation are orders
of the day.

Quote:
The Power Sonic datasheet reports a max of 270 amps for 5 seconds. There seems to be all kinds of different reports online about what is required to start an engine. I don't want to get batters that aren't up to the task.

They will be fine for a time . . . the question is
how long based on how YOU use them. The varied
'reports' are understandable for there are few
constants. Hence observation/experience data will
be all over the map.

Give them a try and let us know what YOU observe.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

At 06:50 PM 1/23/2021, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>

Compare the weight. Some batteries made in China claim to be 18 or 22 AH.
But when you look at the weight, they weigh less than a PC680 (15.4 pounds).
One deceiving trick is to use a larger case than necessary to hold the meager contents.

Good point!

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

At 09:23 PM 1/23/2021, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>

Here is another option: Mighty Max ML22-12GEL 12 Volt 22 AH
Can be ordered from Home Depot or Lowes

--------
Joe Gores

Check to see if this is a true 'gel' cell
fitted battery. These are generally optimized
for deep cycle service like wheel chairs and
trolling motors and not particularly good
for engine cranking -OR- cold weather
performance.

AGM, SVLA is the way to go.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

On 1/24/2021 9:19 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:
At 09:23 PM 1/23/2021, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com> (fransew(at)gmail.com)

Here is another option: Mighty Max ML22-12GEL 12 Volt 22 AH
Can be ordered from Home Depot or Lowes

--------
Joe Gores

  Check to see if this is a true 'gel' cell
  fitted battery. These are generally optimized
  for deep cycle service like wheel chairs and
  trolling motors and not particularly good
  for engine cranking -OR- cold weather
  performance.

  AGM, SVLA is the way to go.

  Bob . . .
My experience when communicating with the battery vendors is that the meaning of 'gel' has 'ebbed and flowed' over time and is different with different vendors. I questioned a vendor (not Mighty Max) about their two models with the same capacity; one identified as 'gel' and the other as simple SLA. Their answer was that the 'gel' battery was an SLA designed for starting duty, and their other SLA was their deep discharge version. This is obviously opposite of what most of us would expect to hear.

Bottom line: ya gotta ask.

Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
user9253

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Small battery choice Reply with quote

The Mighty Max ML22-12GEL documentation does not mention AGM or SVLA.
But printed on the front of the battery in large letters is:
"Deep CYCLE AGM Battery"
The above battery uses M5 bolts whereas the PC680 uses M6 bolts.
The smaller size bolts might mean that the Might Max battery is not designed for starting.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

Quote:
The MM referenced is 0.014, which is still plenty good enough to crank a 4 cyl Lyc . . .

Aha! that's almost certain to be a 'gel-cell' battery.

But if the price is right and you reside/fly in moderate
climate conditions, they might serve your purposes
well.

Bill Bainbridge and I ran some cold delivery tests
on new flooded, gel and AGM batteries as part of
the qualification of his STC efforts on AGM batteries.
I did the first proof installation on his batteries
in a C150 waaayyyy back when.

Of the three batteries cold-soaked and load tested,
the flooded and gel batteries were pretty sad
compared to the AGM. I don't recall now how the
flooded and gel compared . . . it kind of sticks
in my mind that the gel was worst which sorta
goes along with the higher spec'd internal
resistance.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Ceengland

Joined: 11 Oct 2020
Location: MS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

Kelly,
Not questioning your experience with the generics, but it is worth noting that your tug is a different application (and only one example). I've never used an SLA in a true deep discharge environment (other than my computer UPSs, which are only online long enough for the generator to start). But my experience with the generics (which, for the most part, are designed for deep discharge applications) I'm (mis)using as *starting batteries* is that they do the job well, and last a long time. (Remember, in a starting application, you only pull 3-5% of the capacity to start the  engine, and then the alternator is doing all the work through the rest of the flight.) On the other hand, if you search 'Odyssey' on the VAF RV forum for the last couple of years, you will find multiple accounts of owners who got great life from their original Odyssey but when they replaced it, the new one had very short life. I realize that this is 2nd hand info, so take it for whatever you think it's worth, but the stories are out there.
Charlie
On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 8:32 AM Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <kellym(at)aviating.com (kellym(at)aviating.com)>

Certainly not my experience. In aircraft, in Aridzona the typical
Concorde or Gill is good for 3-3.5 years. I have an Odyssey in my
homebuilt...a bigger 925 which has served well for 6 years. My tug uses
batteries in the size you are talking about. The manufacturer put in
Duracells. I tried generic and got 4 months. Paid twice as much for the
Duracells, and they are doing quite well.

On 1/23/2021 3:45 PM, Charlie England wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 2:20 PM AdventureD <dobrien(at)microfoundations.com (dobrien(at)microfoundations.com)
> <mailto:dobrien(at)microfoundations.com (dobrien(at)microfoundations.com)>> wrote:
>

> Hi Dan,
>
> I've run Power Sonic, and at least 2 or 3 other 'no name' brands in a/c
> over the past 20+ years (probably everything *except* Odyssey), and I've
> never been able to detect any 'real world' difference among the brands.
> I buy the cheapest version I can find at the time, and it 'just works'.
> FWIW, there's been some internet chatter lately among the RV-x drivers
> that the current (pardon the pun) crop of Odysseys have had less than
> stellar lifespans (and they obviously extract a premium from your
> pocketbook). I've always gotten 4-6 years out of the no-name versions,
> with the only exception being one that had a pin hole in the case
> (shipping damage that I missed prior to installation). Even it lasted
> about a year before I noticed diminished capacity.
>
> FWIW, there are some higher AH versions available in almost identical
> case sizes. The naming convention  for most is like the PowerSonic:
> 12(voltage)18(AH)followed by another zero. If  you search for '12200 SLA
> battery' or '12220 SLA battery' (and read the specs carefully), you can
> get a 20 AH or 22AH that will fit in the same space, for about the same
> money. One thing to notice on the 'no names' is that many are intended
> for deep discharge applications (powered wheelchairs, etc), and will
> have slightly higher internal resistance than a PC680 'starting
> battery'. By going to a 20 AH or 22AH version, the internal impedance
> will be roughly the same as the PC680 (meaning same or better CCA), and
> the battery's *capacity* (total energy content) will be 10%-15% greater
> than a PC680 (stuff will run longer after an alternator failure).
>
> My experience since late in the last century; YMMV, etc etc.
>
> Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Charlie
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

Quote:
My experience when communicating with the battery vendors is that the meaning
of 'gel' has 'ebbed and flowed' over time and is different with different
vendors.

Right. In the early days of SVLA being
offered at OSH, many vendors referred to
their products as "gel". Had the same
experience with folks behind the counters
in store-front battery marts.

The kicker is "AGM" which is absorbed glass
mat . . . no way can AGM and Gel co-exist.

There can be deep-discharge offerings in all three
technologies which usually means more active material
between plates and perhaps some tweaking of
plate chemistry . . .

For the techno-nerds among us, here's an excellent
description of the gel technology as it compares to
the other two lead-acid technologies.

https://tinyurl.com/yxwlh8xm

Also, note the website . . . batteryuniveristy.com
This is the go-to place for the straight skinny
on all things battery.

The article say Sonnenschein was producer of
the first gel cell devices. That's the brand that
B&C was selling at OSH in 1986.

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
cluros(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

Quote:
  Also, note the website . . . batteryuniveristy.com
  This is the go-to place for the straight skinny
  on all things battery.

Uhh ... personally I don't have anything against spinach but even though it's not nearly as destructive as the right-wing variety, left-wing click bait doesn't interest me.
I think you meant batteryuniversity.com Bob.
On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 10:01 AM Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Small battery choice Reply with quote

At 11:19 AM 1/24/2021, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>

The Mighty Max ML22-12GEL documentation does not mention AGM or SVLA.
But printed on the front of the battery in large letters is:
"Deep CYCLE AGM Battery"
The above battery uses M5 bolts whereas the PC680 uses M6 bolts.
The smaller size bolts might mean that the Might Max battery is not designed for starting.

https://tinyurl.com/y35venox

This claims to be thixotropic electrolyte (gel)
-AND- macromolecule polymer separators (glass mat
analog). But of course whether the
electrolyte is liquid or gel -AND- whether free
of barriers to circulation it must still have
some form of separator. Glass-mat or polymer
would seem to fill the bill. But the AGM moniker
is not appropriate because the mats are not
glass.

The cells are vacuum charged with electrolyte . . .
as are all the SVLA devices so it's probably
a given that the electrolyte is still 'absorbed'
within the separators even tho it's gelled.
I'm not sure what advantage is gained by gelling
the electrolyte.

The terminals are solid copper posts so they're
suited to high discharge rates like cranking an engine
but the 14 milliohm internal resistance in a 22AH
battery suggests it might be chemically weak.
The spec sheet says it will support an 11A load for
about one hour . . . same as a PC680 which is rated
at only 16AH.

I see them listed on Amazon for a range of prices
with the cheaper ones featuring pierced-tab terminals
as opposed to tapped-posts.

I would be interesting to get one in to quantify
for performance but right now, I've got too many
things on my plate!

I think I'd steer clear of this puppy

Bob . . .

Un impeachable logic: George Carlin asked, "If black boxes
survive crashes, why don't they make the whole airplane
out of that stuff?"

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next