Sealed Connectors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
cluros(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Sealed Connectors Reply with quote

Is there a weather sealed PIDG blade crimp connector? I seem to remember something with heat shrink and glue. They looked like this but with a heat shrink end for the wire.

[img]cid:ii_kjujbwp60[/img]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

OIP.jpg
 Filesize:  2.65 KB
 Viewed:  2783 Time(s)

OIP.jpg

Back to top
stuart(at)stuarthutchison
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Sealed Connectors Reply with quote

I just put dual-wall (glue-lined) heatshrink over the crimped connector … it’s then sealed and provides great strain relief all in one.

V/r, Stuart

Quote:
On 13 Jan 2021, at 8:56 am, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Is there a weather sealed PIDG blade crimp connector? I seem to remember something with heat shrink and glue. They looked like this but with a heat shrink end for the wire.

<OIP.jpg>

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
alec(at)alecmyers.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Sealed Connectors Reply with quote

This stuff is *awesome* for sealing connectors, splices etc, and it’s not badly priced. Comes in 4 diameters, with a great shrink ratio.
IF you can’t find the connector you want you can use a section of this on the stem:
https://www.mouser.ca/datasheet/2/418/5/NG_DS_ES1000_404-735359.pdf

On Jan 12, 2021, at 4:56 PM, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Is there a weather sealed PIDG blade crimp connector? I seem to remember something with heat shrink and glue. They looked like this but with a heat shrink end for the wire.

<OIP.jpg>

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Sealed Connectors Reply with quote

If the connection is where you are worried about weather connection, and
the wire is #18 or smaller, suggest you dump the blade connectors and
get Electronics International OLC-1 or better OLC-2 connectors. They
create a weather tight seal using Allen screws in a connective sleeve.
Intended for EGT, CHT and fuel sending units in engine compartment. They
cost $1 each in multiples of 5 from the company direct, free shipping
and free Allen wrench. Blade connectors on EGT and CHT weather and get
highly variable resistance, causing unpredictable swings in readings.
The OLC connectors give rock solid readings and are reusable, unlike
crimp connectors.

On 1/12/2021 5:07 PM, Alec Myers wrote:
Quote:

This stuff is *awesome* for sealing connectors, splices etc, and it’s not badly priced. Comes in 4 diameters, with a great shrink ratio.
IF you can’t find the connector you want you can use a section of this on the stem:
https://www.mouser.ca/datasheet/2/418/5/NG_DS_ES1000_404-735359.pdf

On Jan 12, 2021, at 4:56 PM, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Is there a weather sealed PIDG blade crimp connector? I seem to remember something with heat shrink and glue. They looked like this but with a heat shrink end for the wire.

<OIP.jpg>

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
dj_theis

Joined: 28 Aug 2017
Location: Minnesota

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sealed Connectors Reply with quote

thanks Kelly,
Quote:
Blade connectors on EGT and CHT weather and get
highly variable resistance, causing unpredictable swings in readings.

So, you are suggesting that the PIDG connectors have been an issue for you in the past, with TC wiring.

I just yesterday recieved a large order from an avionics vendor (obviously, not EI) that included both EGT and CHT TC wiring, with one end pre-terminated using PIDG connectors and the mating PIDG included.

I guess this suggests I should swap these out to avoid an issue. Do you think that corrosion is the mail culprit and that properly sealing the PIDG connectors would address this?

Dan Theis

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Dan Theis
Scratch building Sonex #1362
Still working on the Revmaster Alternator improvement
cluros(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Sealed Connectors Reply with quote

The OLC connectors are much better than the blade connectors at reducing erroneous EGT and CHT readings. They are rather fiddly to work with and are not weather sealed. Our engine puts out a great deal of heat, vibration, and movement and after many problems with the PIDG connectors supplied by Dynon we were going to replace them with OLC connectors but decided to try a cheaper solution first: Dsub pins covered with shrink wrap. So far very pleased with the result. Easy to install, good quality signal and no failures.

Thank you for the suggestion Kelly but these connectors are going to be installed in a set of floats so the OLCs would quickly fail due to corrosion. I'm actually pushing the owners to go to Deutsch connectors but don't think they'll like the cost.
On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 8:45 AM dj_theis <djtheis58(at)gmail.com (djtheis58(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "dj_theis" <djtheis58(at)gmail.com (djtheis58(at)gmail.com)>

thanks Kelly,

> Blade connectors on EGT and CHT weather and get
> highly variable resistance, causing unpredictable swings in readings.

So, you are suggesting that the PIDG connectors have been an issue for you in the past, with TC wiring.

I just yesterday recieved a large order from an avionics vendor (obviously, not EI) that included both EGT and CHT TC wiring, with one end pre-terminated using PIDG connectors and the mating PIDG included.

I guess this suggests I should swap these out to avoid an issue.  Do you think that corrosion is the mail culprit and that properly sealing the PIDG connectors would address this?

Dan Theis

--------
Scratch building Sonex #1362

===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Sealed Connectors Reply with quote

Quite frankly I don't know if it is vibration, difficulty in getting the
blade fully seated or corrosion. All all I know is when I made the
switch, all jumpiness on readings went away, and the connection on my
fuel flow was good enough that I had to change the K-factor by 5,000,
say from around 72,000 down to 67,000.
On 1/13/2021 9:33 AM, dj_theis wrote:
Quote:

thanks Kelly,

> Blade connectors on EGT and CHT weather and get
> highly variable resistance, causing unpredictable swings in readings.

So, you are suggesting that the PIDG connectors have been an issue for you in the past, with TC wiring.

I just yesterday recieved a large order from an avionics vendor (obviously, not EI) that included both EGT and CHT TC wiring, with one end pre-terminated using PIDG connectors and the mating PIDG included.

I guess this suggests I should swap these out to avoid an issue. Do you think that corrosion is the mail culprit and that properly sealing the PIDG connectors would address this?

Dan Theis

--------
Scratch building Sonex #1362

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
Kellym

Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Sealed Connectors Reply with quote

The OLC 1 connectors are fiddley because you have to get both wires
inside first, then tighten the hex. The OLC-2 are much easier to use
since you insert one wire, tighten hex, the insert wire 2 and tighten
hex. If weather proofing is the concern, such as in floats, then use the
best heat shrink tube available, slide it on after first wire is
connected, set second wire, then slide heat shrink tube to center on
connection and hit with heat gun. Using dSub you have to have correct
crimper and get it properly adjusted. I don't see that as easier than
just tightening a hex screw on each wire.

On 1/13/2021 10:08 AM, Sebastien wrote:
[...]

<mailto:djtheis58(at)gmail.com>> wrote:

<djtheis58(at)gmail.com <mailto:djtheis58(at)gmail.com>>

thanks Kelly,

<http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=500194#500194>

===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor # 5286
KCHD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours