Airmaster brushes

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Airmaster brushes Reply with quote

How long do these things normally last? (mine have 275 hours)
AND is there any particular trick to replacing them?  (I did read the manual)
thanks
Will
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

ward.t(at)xtra.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Airmaster brushes Reply with quote

William,Replaced twice in 750hours. Completed by an avionics man as I am useless at soldering.
Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton
CHRISTCHURCH 8052
Hom 03315166
Quote:
On 5/01/2021, at 10:45, William Daniell <wdaniell.longport(at)gmail.com> wrote:

How long do these things normally last? (mine have 275 hours)
AND is there any particular trick to replacing them? (I did read the manual)
thanks
Will
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

budyerly@msn.com

Joined: 05 Oct 2019
Location: Florida USA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Airmaster brushes Reply with quote

Will,
You all know you have dealers in the US (Me), and Europe (Dirk Oyen) who can answer all your questions on the Airmaster.   There are many OEMs or reseller for Kitfox, Europa, Colyear, etc. that can assist also.

I’m attaching a pdf I’ve done for those unsure of the procedure on changing the brushes.

Typically the brushes last about 300 hours on a standard slip ring.  One does not have to spend $400 on another brush block to change out the brushes (although some of my seaplane guys have bought a spare brush block for a rapid change out).  Brushes are available for about $20 from Airmaster.  Dirk and I both have spares although your propeller came with a spare set.  For those of you who had someone else build your plane, or are second hand owners, the builder probably has them in his spares bin.

Longer life of the brushes can be expected if the slip rings are cleaned and smoothed every oil change.  (Never oil or wax your sliprings as you will be broken down permanently.)  Personally, I just change all three brushes at 300 hours max.  The slip rings are copper, so in high humidity and dusty environments they will corrode which wears down the carbon brushes faster.  That’s life.

Do not be concerned about de-soldering and re-soldering the brushes.  It is not rocket science, and with the proper tools, which are quite inexpensive, you can easily install a new set of brushes.  Why are the brushes soldered rather than pop in, you ask, because it is an airplane and it has to be complex and wonderful to meet the various governmental requirements.  Trust me, we’ve tried.

Read through my pdf, and if you are still are unsure of how to do it, send your brush block to me and I’ll do it for you, or you can show your mechanic the procedure and let him do it.  One does not have to have an electronics degree and have built circuit boards for radios/TV’s/ or designed your own circuits to do this job.

Let me know if you are having trouble or need brushes.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly
US Airmaster Dealer
Custom Flight Creations, Inc.

How long do these things normally last? (mine have 275 hours)

AND is there any particular trick to replacing them?  (I did read the manual)

thanks

Will

William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246

Airmaster_Brush_Change.pdf

Download
 Filename:  Airmaster_Brush_Change.pdf
 Filesize:  426.6 KB
 Downloaded:  134 Time(s)

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Airmaster brushes Reply with quote

Bud
Sure did come with a spare set...two actually. Thanks I think I might follow the example of your seaplane guys as, like Tim I'm not confident of my soldering skills
Much appreciated Ill contact you off line
Will
William Daniell

LONGPORT

+1 786 878 0246
On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 6:22 PM Bud Yerly <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:

[...]

Remi Guerner

Joined: 14 Dec 2010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Airmaster brushes Reply with quote

I replaced the original brushes after 266 hours by precaution. Now I have 1338 hours on the prop. So the second set of brushes has done 1072 hours and is still working flawlessly. I check them periodically. Last check was done at 1190 prop hours and the shortest brush was still protuding 3,9 mm. It is obvious that the brushes wear quickly at the beginning and when they get shorter, the decreased spring pressure dramatically reduces the rate of wear. At the end, it seems they will last forever.
However I believe I am close to reaching the limit now. I carry a set of spare brushes in the aircraft. Replacing them is not difficult. Just follow the instructions of the Airmaster Manual.
Remi
F-PGKL