rubber replacement

pmdental(at)btinternet.co
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: rubber replacement Reply with quote

My 912ULS is coming up to 5yrs (although only done 70hrs!) & I understand that all rubber components

have to be replaced. Has anyone out there done this recently & can tell me how to source all the appropriate

bits? It sounds like ‘one helluva job’ & presumably involves all the fuel pipes, oil, coolant & carb components ?

Thankyou Paul Munford G- OVPM (kit 625)

SteveIvell(at)pestproof.c
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: rubber replacement Reply with quote

Hi Paul

The coolant oil and fuel pipes are all available online easily enough.

The carb stuff from someone like Eccleston Aviation.

You really need a set of long reach clamp pliers to make the job easier. They are around £10 on ebay.

[img]cid:image002.jpg(at)01D6CA3B.77925BD0[/img]
The coolant hoses are a pain and I found it easier to undo the intake manifolds……..they are on o rings so no worry about needing gaskets to refit.

Allow a good half day for it.

Kind Regards

Steve Ivell
Mob: 07971 128842
My 912ULS is coming up to 5yrs (although only done 70hrs!) & I understand that all rubber components

have to be replaced. Has anyone out there done this recently & can tell me how to source all the appropriate

bits? It sounds like ‘one helluva job’ & presumably involves all the fuel pipes, oil, coolant & carb components ?

Thankyou Paul Munford G- OVPM (kit 625)

image002.jpg
 Filesize:  44.84 KB
 Viewed:  3656 Time(s)

image002.jpg

Back to top
Burrilla

Joined: 25 Apr 2015

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: rubber replacement Reply with quote

This is one source I use.

https://www.hoseworld.com/
A bought the silicon hoses from water pump to radiator from Europa
Alan

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 4 Dec 2020, at 10:03, Paul Munford <pmdental(at)btinternet.com> wrote:

 My 912ULS is coming up to 5yrs (although only done 70hrs!) & I understand that all rubber components

have to be replaced. Has anyone out there done this recently & can tell me how to source all the appropriate

bits? It sounds like ‘one helluva job’ & presumably involves all the fuel pipes, oil, coolant & carb components ?

Thankyou Paul Munford G- OVPM (kit 625)

brian.davies44(at)gmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: rubber replacement Reply with quote

At the risk of stepping into a hornet’s nest I think you will find that the 5 year rubber replacement as a mandatory action only applies to certified aircraft and Gyros on a permit in the UK.

Regards

Brian

On 4 Dec 2020, at 10:03, Paul Munford <pmdental(at)btinternet.com (pmdental(at)btinternet.com)> wrote:

My 912ULS is coming up to 5yrs (although only done 70hrs!) & I understand that all rubber components

have to be replaced. Has anyone out there done this recently & can tell me how to source all the appropriate

bits? It sounds like ‘one helluva job’ & presumably involves all the fuel pipes, oil, coolant & carb components ?

Thankyou Paul Munford G- OVPM (kit 625)

SteveIvell(at)pestproof.c
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: rubber replacement Reply with quote

I think you are right Brian but it’s probably prudent to do the fuel lines. I did all mine last year and found that all the coolant and oil hoses were good as new and it seemed a waste. The fuel hoses had become a bit stiff but were also otherwise good. I only use normal unleaded fuel which contains ethanol……..not wasting money on super unleaded!! Lol

Kind Regards

Steve Ivell
G-STES
Mob: 07971 128842
[...]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: rubber replacement Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I agree that the fuel lines are more critical.  If we all changed to silicon for the coolant and SAE 30-R14 spec fuel hoses (or -R9 if you don’t mind stiffer hoses) it would largely solve the problem of ethanol attacking the fuel hoses.

If the hoses are inspected carefully each annual for surface cracking or signs of becoming “stiff” I would personally be happy to go beyond 5 years but that is clearly a decision for each owner and his inspector in the UK.

Regards

Brian

[...]

h&jeuropa

Joined: 07 Nov 2006

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: rubber replacement Reply with quote

A rubber component many miss is the pad under the expansion tank, P/N 860 826. Ours was rotted after 10 years. The staff at LEAF suggested we check it.

Jim & Heather

Matt Dovey

Joined: 13 May 2017
Location: st albans, england

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: rubber replacement Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
There is no 5 yearly requirement to change all the rubber parts on your permit aircraft. Rotax mandates a 5 year replacement of rubber parts on the engine, but this would only be mandatory on aircraft on a C of A. I'm not sure where this 5 year replacement of all the airframe fuel system pipes comes from either. If it was a mandatory requirement to change the rubber parts on either a LAA or BMAA aircraft there would be a mandatory permit directive telling you to do so. There is how ever MPD 1998-019 which is a mandatory permit directive which your inspector should carry out at every permit renewal inspection. MPD 1998-019 is an inspection of all flexible fuel lines on the aircraft and engine. So any U/S pipes should be picked up then.
Saying that it wouldnt be a good idea to leave your fuel system to the point of failure. But you can spread the work out instead of doing it in one hit. You could prioritise engine parts one year and aircraft another.
I did change all my fuel lines last year and it was a pain. I'm doing Oil lines this year. Carb parts were replaced last summer. Fuel pump changed the year before.

Matt

graeme bird

Joined: 15 Jul 2010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: rubber replacement Reply with quote

Imagine changing all the rubber in a car after 7000 miles and 5 years. I did do mine at 6 years but after felt most was a waste of effort, it was all as new. And its not without risk either as you need a second shake down process to check for leaks (water, oil fuel, exhaust). Keeping a good eye on fuel hoses in the engine bay is always a good idea. I used spring clips on hoses but found the silicon ones slightly larger dia.

Graeme Bird
kit4 (Wagstaff) TBD
Kit3 G-CLXU (Gregory) mono 914 xs Woodcomp
Kit2 G-PATS - (kesterton) Mono Classic 912 warpdrive
Kit 1 G-UMPY - Mono Classic/XS 912S, Woodcomp G(@)gdbmk.co.uk