Yak52TW stranded, anyone have Air near Winslow, AZ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
cjpilot710(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Yak52TW stranded, anyone have Air near Winslow, AZ? Reply with quote

The only thing I can add is you want to assure your footing. Loose gravel, iceie or slippery surface or even poor footing because of foot wear.
Jim "Pappy" Goolsby
On Tuesday, November 17, 2020 mark bitterlich <yak-list(at)matronics.com> wrote:
The only problem with electric start is battery capacity. What most Yak owners put in place of the original NiCAD battery won't hack the rather massive current draw of a starter motor. Nothing wrong with the idea though.... I've seen it work well.

Mark
P.s. I've seen that "Indian rope trick" in action. It was used to pull props through to get oil out on bigger radials a lot. Never seen it used to start one. I have visions of the engine pop starting, ripping the rope out of hand, rope wrapping around prop hub, etc. I've propped high compression IO550's safely. Standing behind the prop as Dennis mentioned works well, also standing sideways in front on the prop, reaching down with one hand and grabbing the prop end with one hand and pull as you walk away from the prop.
Bottom line, no matter how you do it there is some kind of "Danger Close" quite literally at hand. But when you have no other choice, it is best not to have to attempt it for the first time. Also, leather gloves are good to have available.
-------- Original message --------
From: dbflr <le_vix(at)hotmail.com>
Date: 11/17/20 15:56 (GMT-05:00)
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Yak52TW stranded, anyone have Air near Winslow, AZ?

--> Yak-List message posted by: "dbflr" <le_vix(at)hotmail.com>

there's much safer and more efficient way of doing it than pulling a live prop by hand.  grab a piece of rope and make a pocket at one end to envelope blade's tip, but not tight so it can slip when prop rotates about 90deg. then pull from a distance. actually it's a standard "ground support" tool for bigger radials.

or get rid of air start system completely. just fuggedaboutit ! have almost new electric start kit if anyone is interested

<brsp; - MAT - NEW MATRONICS LISTp;   -Matt Dralle, List Ad-===================================

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
romaine_richard(at)yahoo.
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: Yak52TW stranded, anyone have Air near Winslow, AZ? Reply with quote

As all have said, hand propping deserves respect and training with someone who knows how, on your type acft.

On my standard CJ, I don’t have person in cockpit use start button, it allows me to control prop movement; they are there to turn mags off if anything bad happens. I brief hand signals for mag kill, throttle back and pumping primer to help it catch. I pull from in front since CJ nose wheel puts the prop disk vertical. I cross my hands on the blade so at the end of the swing they are not crossed and make sure to carry my momentum sideways with the swing, not into the prop.

The fact that my engine will happily start with a brisk swing on mags alone, cold, warns that repositioning the prop at any time deserves respect.

This is good motivation to track down leaks that deplete air and develop a backup air refill plan for days it doesn’t want to start...for my engine, pre-heat makes it much happier.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
richard.goode(at)russiana
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Yak52TW stranded, anyone have Air near Winslow, AZ? Reply with quote

I was always surprised by the decision of Aerostar to make the 52W and TW with both electric and air start. I assumed it was to encourage Americans who were not familiar with air start into owning Yaks, but in any aircraft, it does seem to me bizarre to significantly increase the weight of the aircraft with no real advantage, by installing both systems. For reasons that are total bureaucracy and nothing to do with safety, I don't think there are any 52W or TW in Europe, and I'm not sure if there is a centre of gravity issue whereby having the starter motor; ring gear at the front of the aircraft is helpful. But certainly, if I had the choice, I would go for air-start alone any time, and in an aeroplane that has been properly maintained and a pilot who knows how to operate the air start, it will always work! The problem is pilots who think that the air start is like an electric motor, and if the engine doesn't start immediately, continue to keep it turning on the air. Of course with each revolution, the fuel mixture completely changes and it will never start!

Richard

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Rhodds Farm, Lyonshall, Hereford, HR5 3LW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)
www.russianaeros.com
WORLD LEADERS IN RUSSIAN SPORTING AIRCRAFT & ENGINES
In partnership with Aerometal Kft, Hungary.

--> Yak-List message posted by: "dbflr" <le_vix(at)hotmail.com (le_vix(at)hotmail.com)>

there's much safer and more efficient way of doing it than pulling a live prop by hand. grab a piece of rope and make a pocket at one end to envelope blade's tip, but not tight so it can slip when prop rotates about 90deg. then pull from a distance. actually it's a standard "ground support" tool for bigger radials.

or get rid of air start system completely. just fuggedaboutit ! have almost new electric start kit if anyone is interested

<brsp; - MAT - NEW MATRONICS LISTp;   -Matt Dralle, List Ad-===================================
<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]><![endif]>

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
GeorgeCoy

Joined: 02 Dec 2010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Yak52TW stranded, anyone have Air near Winslow, AZ? Reply with quote

Richard,
The Electric start / dual start was a decision that I made. As you may recall, I bought 10 new Yak-52 in late 1995. In 1998, I made a follow on order for 12 more aircraft and had Aerostar develop the Yak 52W. (and later the Yak 52TW). It was my specifications for the “W” version to Aerostar. We were making an aircraft more acceptable to the western market. The significant changes were more fuel, hydraulic brakes, western radios etc.
One for the changes we offered to our customers was the electric start. The thinking was that electric start provided a more comfortable way for most western users. It also eliminated the need to carry spare compressed air when traveling away from home base. We here in the states tended to fly these aircraft away from home base. My thinking was you could pretty much always find a set of jumper cables at any airport, but seldom find high pressure compressed air. The aircraft still needed air for the gear and flaps, the dual start was offered as an option.

George Coy

--> Yak-List message posted by: "dbflr" <le_vix(at)hotmail.com (le_vix(at)hotmail.com)>

there's much safer and more efficient way of doing it than pulling a live prop by hand. grab a piece of rope and make a pocket at one end to envelope blade's tip, but not tight so it can slip when prop rotates about 90deg. then pull from a distance. actually it's a standard "ground support" tool for bigger radials.

or get rid of air start system completely. just fuggedaboutit ! have almost new electric start kit if anyone is interested

<brsp; - MAT - NEW MATRONICS LISTp;   -Matt Dralle, List Ad-===================================

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
richard.goode(at)russiana
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Yak52TW stranded, anyone have Air near Winslow, AZ? Reply with quote

Hello George – indeed I remember chatting to you at Oshkosh about this, and I fully understand the rationale for electric start if you're aiming at the US market, and I suppose that since you already have the pneumatic system for undercarriage, you might as well keep air start as well!

<brsp; - MAT - NEW MATRONICS LISTp;   -Matt Dralle, List Ad-===================================<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]><![endif]>

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
markbitterlich(at)embarqm
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Yak52TW stranded, anyone have Air near Winslow, AZ? Reply with quote

This has been a nice thread, and I’ve  learned a few things from it….. so thanks.

I have to say that I like the idea of having dual start, and George is dead on about the difficulties of finding high pressure air.

But I have been toying with another idea.  Ever since I retired with the Prowlers last year,  my source of dry water pumped nitrogen has dried up, but it was nice while it lasted.  I have been looking at the Pyramid high pressure (relatively) low volume air compressor normally used to pressurize their really cool air rifles.  By the way, they have .45 and .357 air rifles at pretty respectable velocities.  I want one.  Anyway, some of them use small 3000 PSI bottles built into the gun itself and are refilled by compressors capable of 4500 PSI (!!!).    Yes, 4,500 PSI… holy cow.

Check this out:

https://www.pyramydair.com/a/Accessories/PCP/Compressors/715

So you’re looking at 20 pounds or so.  I have not given thought to reality, as in “where do I mount this thing?”, etc.   Or do I even  want to mount it?  But I sure do want one in the hangar!  Not exactly cheap at $700 or so but …. Again, I WANT one.

Worth thinking about anyway.

Mark

[...]

cd001633(at)mindspring.co
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Yak52TW stranded, anyone have Air near Winslow, AZ? Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

It’s been a while, hasn’t it…?

Please contact me off list – would love to catch up!

cd001633 at mindspring dot com

Thanks,

Sam Sax

[...]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Yak52TW stranded, anyone have Air near Winslow, AZ? Reply with quote

A good friend from this list mentioned to me that it would be inadvisable to use these compressors to fill scuba tanks for the main reason that it would bypass the (safety) necessity of having the scuba tanks inspected and certified before being filled.  He’s correct of course, hence me writing this note.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these compressors get very hot, and they are not meant to run for hours on end in order to fill a normal size scuba tank.  They are in fact meant for much smaller air bottles as are found on the air rifles mentioned.  However, my intent was to  be able to directly attach to your aircraft and fill those bottles, slowly enough in fact that it will give a chance for the aircraft’s built in pop-off valve to operate.  If I was doing a ton of cross country flying like I used to do in my 50, I’d figure out a mount for one of  these things.  But I’m lucky enough that I don’t need to do that anymore.

To those that do try to refill scuba tanks anyway with these small compressors …. be aware they won’t last long.

Mark

[...]

marcusbates(at)att.net
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Yak52TW stranded, anyone have Air near Winslow, AZ? Reply with quote

Remember.......a small refrigerator or small window a/c compressor will put up over 500 psi.

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 20, 2020, at 1:32 PM, Mark Bitterlich <markbitterlich(at)embarqmail.com (markbitterlich(at)embarqmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours