Russian Radio Output Wattage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Russian Radio Output Wattage Reply with quote

What is the output wattage of the russian radios?

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
markbitterlich(at)embarqm
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Russian Radio Output Wattage Reply with quote

Depends on the model. 10, 25 or 50 watts carrier.  Multiply times 4 for PEP.

Mark
From: Stephen van Dijck <s.dijck(at)planet.nl>
Date: 10/14/20 03:09 (GMT-05:00)
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Yak-List: Re: Russian Radio Output Wattage

--> Yak-List message posted by: Stephen van Dijck <s.dijck(at)planet.nl>

I’m pretty sure it is 16 watt. Samen radio that was used in their commercial aircraft.

Steve

Quote:
On 14 Oct 2020, at 00:57, Anthony Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net> wrote:

--> Yak-List message posted by: Anthony Savarese <dsavarese0812(at)bellsouth.net>

The standard Russian radio in a Yak 52 is the Balkan 5.
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 13, 2020, at 6:19 PM, HawkerPilot2015 <timsmiscaz(at)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> --> Yak-List message posted by: "HawkerPilot2015" <timsmiscaz(at)gmail.com>
>
> Whatever is the standard radio in a 1987 Yak-52. I am not near the airplane right now.
>

> Read this topic online here:

_-= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,
_-= Photoshare, and much much more:
_-=
_-============================================================
_-=               - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
_-= Same great content also available via the Web Forums!
_-=
_-=   --> http://forums.matronics.com
_-=
_-============================================================
_-=              - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
_-= Add some info to the Matronics Email List Wiki!
_-=   --> http://wiki.matronics.com
_-============================================================
_-=             - List Contribution Web Site -
_-=  Thank you for your generous support!
_-=                              -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
_-=   --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
easy_driver

Joined: 25 Jul 2020
Location: Alexandria, VA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Russian Radio Output Wattage Reply with quote

all russian specs everywhere say "output power" of Baklan-5 is ( you guessed it ! ) 5 W. how they define it is another matter. should be in their GOST standards library. most likely - carrier 100% AM, not PEP
Nino
Alexandria, VA

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
markbitterlich(at)embarqm
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Russian Radio Output Wattage Reply with quote

My power measurements came from a Bird watt meter Nino, not from a book sadly. I repaired them for a little while, but reverse engineering everything became too much of a pain in the rear. I'm sure your book values should be used instead of my watt meter measurement, so I'll stand corrected.

But .... There is a Baklan model with more power that had a different "-" number but the dimensions and connectors were identical. Perhaps your book mentions it?  I'd like to know as I have only seen two.
In way of discussion, a 100% modulated AM transmission has a Peak Envelope Power of four times the carrier.  So saying you have an unmodulated carrier of 5 watts means that at 100% Amplitude Modulation, your output power will be 20 watts "PEP."
Putting it more simply,  an output value for an A.M. transmitter modulated at 100% should also equal the Peak Envelope Power, but to further confuse the issue, with no modulation an AM transmitter output and PEP are the same. That said normally AM transmitters are specified by the power of their unmodulated carrier output. Hence your book value of 5 watts for the Baklan-5.  That's for pure carrier with NO modulation not at 100% modulation.
Yes, it can be confusing.
Mark
--> Yak-List message posted by: "easy_driver" <s_maikbox31-acc(at)yahoo.com>

[...]

jonboede(at)hotmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Russian Radio Output Wattage Reply with quote

I’m not sure what the output of the higher output radio is, but I think it’s similar to the radio in the Mi-24. With that one, if a car is parked next to the aircraft you can light up the headlights by pressing xmit. Wink
[quote]On Oct 15, 2020, at 4:17 PM, mark bitterlich <markbitterlich(at)embarqmail.com> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian Radio Output Wattage Reply with quote

>>> I'm sure your book values should be used instead of my watt meter measurement
it's a free country. you can measure anything anyway you like, i'm not interested in arguing.

and i don't have MY little book. i cited manufacturer's specs published everywhere.

their GOST R 51742-2001 sec. 6.3.1 describes procedure for measuring power output of AM transmitter. schematics shows LF modulator ATTACHED . output power
is computed as U^2/R where R is resistance of antenna equivalent and U is measured voltage.

nough said

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
markbitterlich(at)embarqm
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Russian Radio Output Wattage Reply with quote

I was not debating dude, I was explaining.

Nuff said.
Mark
--> Yak-List message posted by: "easy_driver" <s_maikbox31-acc(at)yahoo.com>

Quote:
>>  I'm sure your book values should be used instead of my watt meter measurement

it's a free country. you can measure anything anyway you like, i'm not interested in arguing.

and i don't have MY little book. i cited manufacturer's specs published everywhere.

their GOST R 51742-2001 sec. 6.3.1 describes procedure for measuring  power output of AM transmitter. schematics shows LF modulator ATTACHED . output power
is computed as U^2/R where R is resistance of antenna equivalent and U is measured voltage.

nough said

_-= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,
_-= Photoshare, and much much more:
_-=
_-=   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
_-=
_-============================================================
_-=               - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
_-= Same great content also available via the Web Forums!
_-=
_-=   --> http://forums.matronics.com
_-=
_-============================================================
_-=              - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
_-= Add some info to the Matronics Email List Wiki!
_-=   --> http://wiki.matronics.com
_-=             - List Contribution Web Site -
_-=  Thank you for your generous support!
_-=                              -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
_-=   --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours