Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

W20 Bracket spec

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barp99(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: W20 Bracket spec Reply with quote

I am currently attaching the port flap to the wing on my trigear, I
find, for whatever reason, that the W20 bracket is too short by 12mm
when the flap is in its correct position. Rather than live with this
mismatch at the bolted joint, I will make up a new longer W20 bracket.
Does anyone know what grade and temper these aluminium brackets are made
from?

Brian
Sydney, Aus.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

DSCN8674.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.33 KB
 Viewed:  3458 Time(s)

DSCN8674.jpg

Patrick Tunney

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: W20 Bracket spec Reply with quote

Brian

I am not 100% sure but i think its Duralumin

Im sure plenty of builders have had issues with flap hinge alignment.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Wighton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: W20 Bracket spec Reply with quote

Use a minimum of 6061 T6, probably 2024 T3 will be readily available and gives slightly higher UTS.

Duncan McFadyean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: W20 Bracket spec Reply with quote

H30, I believe. But why not ask the Factory what they use now?

Duncan McF.
Quote:
On 02 October 2020 at 00:30 Brian Phillips <barp99(at)gmail.com (barp99(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

from?

Brian
Sydney, Aus.

JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: W20 Bracket spec Reply with quote

It's now 25 years since I built my Classic wings with the foam cores and I honestly can't remember the finer details, but are all the W20 brackets on each wing the same size, or are they made progressively smaller from inboard to outboard?

wdaniell.longport(at)gmai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: W20 Bracket spec Reply with quote

BrianIt looks to me as thought the lower surface of the flap is not aligned with the lower surface of the wing...or is it just how it looks in the photo?
Will

William Daniell
LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744
On Thu, Oct 1, 2020, 19:49 Brian Phillips <barp99(at)gmail.com (barp99(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

from?

Brian
Sydney, Aus.

barp99(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: W20 Bracket spec Reply with quote

William, I think its just the photo, I put a rule on the lower surface and checked the intersection, its hard to tell for sure but its very close to being laminar.

Cheers,
Brian.

On 4/10/2020 12:36 pm, William Daniell wrote:

Quote:
Brian It looks to me as thought the lower surface of the flap is not aligned with the lower surface of the wing...or is it just how it looks in the photo?
Will

William Daniell
LONGPORT
+57 310 295 0744

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020, 19:49 Brian Phillips <barp99(at)gmail.com (barp99(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

from?

Brian
Sydney, Aus.

budyerly@msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: W20 Bracket spec Reply with quote

Brian,
You can never go wrong with 6061-T6 1/8 inch sheet.

The advice given is quite good.
1. Be sure to make the flap fit on the left and right absolutely identical in gap between flap LE and closeout, dead level with the bottom of the wing. Make the line through the inboard and outboard flap eyes even and at the right point using the template. Middle flap bracket is set with string. IF THE FLAP W19 OR 20 IS TOO SHORT: Lay out your template and assure the wing flap is positioned per the manual using the incidence board and dead level with the bottom of the wing then clamp your W19/20 brackets. If too short, simply draw out a new one out of carboard for the outer shape and make another out of 1/8 6061-T6 After fab is complete, clamp in place and check operation. If off laterally due to a FL1 or 2 misalignment , you may either bend the W19/20 or use a spacer to displace the bracket to allow smooth operation.

2. I don't set my flap pins exactly like the manual. I use a compass (actually a 3/4 inch thick stick and pin/pen). Each flap drive pin needs to be set the same. I find that the swing of the flap tube and hinges is slightly off as indicated in the manual and by using a large "compass" I can set each flap pin so it is exactly in line with the hinges. It is not a big deal, but for those of you always having to lift or pull down on a flap to get the flap engaged with the wing pins in alignment, that is your problem or at least part of it.

I've attached a picture for my shop technique on the compass concept.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

Flap pin setting.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.51 KB
 Viewed:  3365 Time(s)

Flap pin setting.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: