Undercarriage & Flap Lever on the XS Mono Wheel

rogersheridan(at)mac.com
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Undercarriage & Flap Lever on the XS Mono Wheel Reply with quote

Hi James,
Not quite what you were asking for but I get a better & more comfortable hold on both brake & gear levers with bike handlebar grips.

Regards,

Roger
[img]cid:2D008A1F-EC41-4DBB-80DC-4D773E840843[/img]
Quote:
On 18 Sep 2020, at 16:07, Mallard <james(at)kingdom.ie (james(at)kingdom.ie)> wrote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: "Mallard" <james(at)kingdom.ie (james(at)kingdom.ie)>Has anyone ever created an extra long lever or an additional attachment to make the Undercarriage Lever easier to operate?I have arthritis in the knuckle joints of the first 2 fingers of my right hand and found it quite difficult to push the lever forward to put down the Mono Wheel & Flaps. I was thinking of a longer lever which would give more leverage? Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.James--------Seat of my pantsRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=498413#498413

Untitled.jpg
 Filesize:  182.84 KB
 Viewed:  2216 Time(s)

Untitled.jpg

Back to top
roddyeuropa(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Undercarriage & Flap Lever on the XS Mono Wheel Reply with quote

My thoughts on this: Any extra long lever would need to be dog legged as the
top of the existing lever fits into the recess in the panel. Also the force
needed is very depended on getting the bungee tension correct. If this is
high enough then the force needed to retract or engage the undercarriage
will be minimal.
Roddy Kesteton
G-IKRK

m.j.gregory(at)talk21.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Undercarriage & Flap Lever on the XS Mono Wheel Reply with quote

James,

Ted Gladstone and Justin Kennedy have done several mods to their Monowheel Z-TED, including the following reported on the Matronics list as follows:

Date:   Sep 02, 2001
From:   Edward Gladstone <Ted_Gladstone(at)compuserve.com>
Subject:           tric Flaps on Monowheel

Quote:
Shaun Simpkins wrote:-

Has anyone out there tried decoupling the flaps and gear on a monowheel<

We are the Edinburgh group who have fitted an electric screwjack actuator to
operate the flaps on our monowheel Europa.   Rowland is correct in that the
actuator was originally designed to operate the elevation mechanism on a
lounge chair or bed for the elderly.  It weighs about the same as the long
cranked linking tube and its associated couplings.  We also developed a
manual emergency method lowering the flaps, should the electric motor fail,
but Francis Donaldson (PFA Chief Engineer) did no share our enthusiasm for
it and we locked out this device.   Along with many other mods we have also
changed the lever that operates the undercarriage such that it rotates from
a horizontal position on the tunnel through 180 deg to end up again in the
horizontal position on the tunnel.   It allows us to fill up the cavity in
the instrument panel and it can now be operated with a single finger!
The electric flap motor also operates the outriggers in the normal manner
(for the time being)  but we have the intention to also operate the
outriggers with small electric screw jack actuators.   When this is done
we will be able to operate the flaps to any angle but, with the existing
setup, we can go down to 30 deg and op to 23 deg without unlatching the
outriggers.   At the moment we have decided to abandon any further mods
and concentrate on getting it flying ( it's kit No 15!!!).  When its
flying we can amuse ourselves with our further mods and go faster fairings.

Ted & Justin
G-ZTED

While this may be too radical a solution for you, the principle involved in making the undercarriage lever rotate through 180° has clearly resulted in a very light operating force. I have always found Ted and Justin very willing to share their Europa experiences and am sure they would be happy to discuss ideas on the subject.

Best regards,

Mike
Dr Mike Gregory
Kit 94
01480 451655
07885 355765

Z-TED_undercarriage_Lever_IMG_7521.jpg
 Filesize:  404.07 KB
 Viewed:  2182 Time(s)

Z-TED_undercarriage_Lever_IMG_7521.jpg

Back to top
erichdtrombley(at)juno.co
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Undercarriage & Flap Lever on the XS Mono Wheel Reply with quote

ļ»æHello James,

If I understand your email correctly the issue you are having is with moving the lever out of the up gate in order to lower the gear. That being the case I offer the following suggestions, neither being a mod, however.

First, try tightening the bungee. This greatly reduces the force necessary to not only raise the undercarriage, but also the forward force required to move the lever out of the ā€œup gate.ā€œ

Secondly, I have found that if I unload the wing by pushing the control stick forward, the undercarriage lever will float forward off of the ā€œup gateā€ allowing easy extension of the gear. Typically, I perform this maneuver by first, pulling the power back and then raising the nose to maintain altitude, as speed drops below the flap extension speed push the nose over and at the same time lower the gear as you feel the lever move forward off of the ā€œup gate.ā€ Works a treat.

Regards,
Erich
N28ET
Classic Mono 914

Romney's Decision All but Seals the Deal for Court Pick
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5f6a14d68a0eb14d534fcst02duc1
Graham's Flip-Flop May Help Save His Seat
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5f6a14d6aedaf14d534fcst02duc2
Utah Cop on Bodycam: 'It's Going to End in a Shooting'
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/5f6a14d6d52c914d534fcst02duc3

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Undercarriage & Flap Lever on the XS Mono Wheel Reply with quote

I concur on all points! Smile

-pete

Quote:

ļ»æ