Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

biplane trainer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Homebuilt-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seatofmypants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: biplane trainer Reply with quote

Greetings to all, This is my very first post. My name is Clyde. I am a retired heavy equipment and machinery hauler. We live on a Hobby farm on the Mississippi River with a feild large enough to be a grass air strip.
Her is my question. Considering some of the homebuilt biplanes, IE Marquart Charger, Acro sport, Fisher Classic, Murphy biplane, to name just a few. There are many more out there. Which one does anybody think would be a honest good candidate as a tandem seat trainer? Easy access to front cockpit, adequate instrumentation and controls, good radio communication between the instructor and the student. I realize some of this is arbitrary, IE insturments, radio etc. Anybody have a thought they would like to share. My gut tells me the marquart charger would be a great candidate. What are your thoughts? Thank you for reading, Clyde

- The Matronics Homebuilt-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Homebuilt-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: biplane trainer Reply with quote

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 9:00 PM seatofmypants <auguito(at)mlecwb.net (auguito(at)mlecwb.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Homebuilt-List message posted by: "seatofmypants" <auguito(at)mlecwb.net (auguito(at)mlecwb.net)>

Greetings to all,  This is my very first post.  My name is Clyde.  I am a retired heavy equipment and machinery hauler.  We live on a Hobby farm on the Mississippi River with a feild large enough to be a grass air strip.
Her is my question.  Considering some of the homebuilt biplanes,  IE  Marquart Charger,  Acro sport,  Fisher Classic,  Murphy biplane, to name just a few.  There are many more out there.  Which one does anybody think would be a honest good candidate as a tandem seat trainer?  Easy access to front cockpit, adequate instrumentation and controls,  good radio communication between the instructor and the student.  I realize some of this is arbitrary,  IE  insturments, radio etc. Anybody have a thought they would like to share.  My gut tells me the marquart charger would be a great candidate.  What are your thoughts?  Thank you for reading,  Clyde

These days, not many would recommend a biplane as a trainer (though a lot of pilots trained in them in the past). Are you hoping to learn to fly in the plane you'll keep long term, or do you have some other motivation?
If I were trying to pick a trainer, it would need to be:
1. rugged enough to handle rough landings, etc
2. docile enough to allow a student to learn in without bending something
3. have adequate power to comfortably lift two full size Americans, without sweating the fence or trees at the end of the runway
A couple in your list might not make the cut. I've ridden in an acrosport, but never landed one, and no experience at all in the Charger, but an old friend (who was about 6' 4" tall & flew an 85HP clipwing Cub) once recommended it, over a Skybolt as 'a nicer airplane'.
For most students, I suspect that a lot of other planes would be better as a basic trainer. Any of the old 'classic' taildraggers would be good candidates; they'll survive misdeeds (within reason) and let the student acquire the basic 'muscle memory' needed to handle a taildragger, which will make transitioning to a biplane that will likely be 'squirellier' on the ground, and will definitely have a higher power-off sink rate.
I learned in a Luscombe 8A. You could probably buy one for half the price of any 2 seat biplane, and sell it for what you paid for it once you have your license. A Luscombe or any of the other planes from that era will teach you focus, and make transitioning to higher performance a/c a lot smoother. My next plane was a Thorp T-18; it was a piece of cake to fly after the Luscombe, even though many consider it a 'hot' a/c.
Perhaps someone with actual time in a Charger will chime in with more detailed (and accurate) info.
Charlie

- The Matronics Homebuilt-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Homebuilt-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Homebuilt-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: