Two LiFePO4 batteries in parallel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
matronics(at)rtist.nl
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Two LiFePO4 batteries in parallel Reply with quote

The AEC has a great section on dual battery use. One revelation to me is
that it's OK to run two batteries in parallel, and I have a question
about this.

A buddy of mine is building a plane with an engine that depends on
electric energy both for ignition and fuel injection. The fuel pumps,
ECU, dual ignition and injectors use about 13A under normal load. In
case of alternator failure this can be reduced to 10A by running on one
set of coils.

We are discussing failure modes and endurance. The plane is very light.
A regular 20-30Ah battery would be too heavy, so we're looking at
LiFePO4 options. For cranking, a 300CCA starter battery would be plenty,
weighing just 1.5kg. But it is rated for 8Ah, so after accounting for
aging and adding other essentials I expect no more than 30 minutes of
flight after the alternator fails.

The second option is a 20Ah LiFePO4 battery. About the same weight, but
not suitable for starting. This should give about an hour, and
considering the area and types of flight that should be enough to find a
safe place to land.

Both batteries have their own internal BMS circuitry, both are
advertized as drop-in replacements for gel batteries. No need to change
charging systems. Or so it says. Together they weight 3kg, which is
still considerably less than a regular battery.

The question is, what risks are there in using these two dis-similar
batteries in parallel?

Thanks!
Rob

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Two LiFePO4 batteries in parallel Reply with quote

On 8/23/2020 2:32 PM, Rob Turk wrote:
[...]

I think that most of the lithium-iron batteries that are big enough for

starting duties will have a series-parallel configuration, so while
parallel isn't ideal, it shouldn't be a show stopper. Biggest danger
with radically different sized batteries in parallel is that a charging
system big enough for the larger one may try to push energy into the
smaller one at an excessive rate. The 'brand X' batteries, even though
they have a supposed BMS, spec a maximum size alternator for each
battery size.

Might be helpful to show the batteries you're considering. What makes
the 20AH version unsuitable for starting? Are the posts too small for
the current?

Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
user9253

Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Location: Riley TWP Michigan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Two LiFePO4 batteries in parallel Reply with quote

A better option is to have a backup alternator if possible.
Just to emphasize what Charlie wrote, the minimum size lithium battery is
determined by the capacity of the alternator.
Buy a different brand battery that will crank the engine.
Better yet, buy an AGM lead acid battery. Yes, it weighs more. But will not
disconnect itself from the electrical system under certain conditions like a
lithium battery will.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Joe Gores
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Two LiFePO4 batteries in parallel Reply with quote

At 02:32 PM 8/23/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Rob Turk <matronics(at)rtist.nl>

The AEC has a great section on dual battery use. One revelation to me is that it's OK to run two batteries in parallel, and I have a question about this.

A buddy of mine is building a plane with an engine that depends on electric energy both for ignition and fuel injection. The fuel pumps, ECU, dual ignition and injectors use about 13A under normal load. In case of alternator failure this can be reduced to 10A by running on one set of coils.

What are your battery-only endurance goals?

Quote:
We are discussing failure modes and endurance. The plane is very light. A regular 20-30Ah battery would be too heavy, so we're looking at LiFePO4 options.

2+ hours?

Quote:
For cranking, a 300CCA starter battery would be plenty, weighing just 1.5kg. But it is rated for 8Ah, so after accounting for aging and adding other essentials I expect no more than 30 minutes of flight after the alternator fails.

What brand and model of battery is this?

Quote:
The second option is a 20Ah LiFePO4 battery. About the same weight, but not suitable for starting. This should give about an hour, and considering the area and types of flight that should be enough to find a safe place to land.

Again. . . what brand/model battery?

Quote:
Both batteries have their own internal BMS circuitry, both are advertized as drop-in replacements for gel batteries. No need to change charging systems. Or so it says. Together they weight 3kg, which is still considerably less than a regular battery.

Why not a single ETX680 at 1.86KG and 12.4AH (supports 10A
at 80% capacity)?

Quote:
The question is, what risks are there in using these two dis-similar batteries in parallel?

Not enough data . . .it might work. Virtually
ALL fat LiFePO4 batteries are ARRAYS of cells
in series/parallel configuration. The TrueBlue
series of TSO batteries are multiple arrays EACH
having it's own BMS.

So what you're suggesting may well be practical
from a electrical performance perspective. But
then you have TWO batteries to monitor. If one
services-out before the other, will you replace
BOTH or just one . . . and worry more about the
older battery.

Methinks it FAR better to install ONE battery
capable of doing the task.

Bob . . .

Bob . . .

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
matronics(at)rtist.nl
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Two LiFePO4 batteries in parallel Reply with quote

Hello Bob and all others who replied, thanks for your thoughts

> [...]
> At 02:32 PM 8/23/2020, you wrote: >> --> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Rob Turk >> <matronics(at)rtist.nl> (matronics(at)rtist.nl) >> >> The AEC has a great section on dual battery use. One revelation to >> me is that it's OK to run two batteries in parallel, and I have a >> question about this. >> >> A buddy of mine is building a plane with an engine that depends on >> electric energy both for ignition and fuel injection. The fuel >> pumps, ECU, dual ignition and injectors use about 13A under normal >> load. In case of alternator failure this can be reduced to 10A by >> running on one set of coils. > > What are your battery-only endurance goals? > >> We are discussing failure modes and endurance. The plane is very >> light. A regular 20-30Ah battery would be too heavy, so we're >> looking at LiFePO4 options. > > 2+ hours? > >> For cranking, a 300CCA starter battery would be plenty, weighing >> just 1.5kg. But it is rated for 8Ah, so after accounting for aging >> and adding other essentials I expect no more than 30 minutes of >> flight after the alternator fails. > > What brand and model of battery is this? > >> The second option is a 20Ah LiFePO4 battery. About the same weight, >> but not suitable for starting. This should give about an hour, and >> considering the area and types of flight that should be enough to >> find a safe place to land. > > Again. . . what brand/model battery? > >> Both batteries have their own internal BMS circuitry, both are >> advertized as drop-in replacements for gel batteries. No need to >> change charging systems. Or so it says. Together they weight 3kg, >> which is still considerably less than a regular battery. > > Why not a single ETX680 at 1.86KG and 12.4AH (supports 10A at 80% > capacity)? > >> The question is, what risks are there in using these two >> dis-similar batteries in parallel? > > Not enough data . . .it might work. Virtually ALL fat LiFePO4 > batteries are ARRAYS of cells in series/parallel configuration. The > TrueBlue series of TSO batteries are multiple arrays EACH having it's > own BMS. > > So what you're suggesting may well be practical from a electrical > performance perspective. But then you have TWO batteries to monitor. > If one services-out before the other, will you replace BOTH or just > one . . . and worry more about the older battery. > > Methinks it FAR better to install ONE battery capable of doing the > task. > > Bob . . . > > Bob . . . >

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

yellowduckduo(at)gmail.co
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Two LiFePO4 batteries in parallel Reply with quote

While not as easy as mounting another battery I've never regretted
fitting a little Permanent Magnet alternator as a second electron
source.  Gives me much more confidence than a second battery for keeping
the engine running. Others have suggested similar but definitely worth
considering.  Total maintenance in 16 years and 900 hrs. has been
replacing a $5. bearing once when it was off the engine anyway for
another reason. OK I did splurge for a new $10. v-belt for it at the
same time.
Ken

Nuckolls, III wrote:
> At 02:32 PM 8/23/2020, you wrote: >>
<matronics(at)rtist.nl> >> >> The AEC has a great section on dual battery
use. One revelation to >> me is that it's OK to run two batteries in
parallel, and I have a >> question about this. >> >> A buddy of mine
is building a plane with an engine that depends on >> electric energy
both for ignition and fuel injection. The fuel >> pumps, ECU, dual
ignition and injectors use about 13A under normal >> load. In case of
alternator failure this can be reduced to 10A by >> running on one set
of coils. > > What are your battery-only endurance goals? > >> We are
discussing failure modes and endurance. The plane is very >> light. A
regular 20-30Ah battery would be too heavy, so we're >> looking at
LiFePO4 options. > > 2+ hours? > >> For cranking, a 300CCA starter
battery would be plenty, weighing >> just 1.5kg. But it is rated for
8Ah, so after accounting for aging >> and adding other essentials I
expect no more than 30 minutes of >> flight after the alternator
fails. > > What brand and model of battery is this? > >> The second
option is a 20Ah LiFePO4 battery. About the same weight, >> but not
suitable for starting. This should give about an hour, and >>
considering the area and types of flight that should be enough to >>
find a safe place to land. > > Again. . . what brand/model battery? >
>> Both batteries have their own internal BMS circuitry, both are >>
advertized as drop-in replacements for gel batteries. No need to >>
change charging systems. Or so it says. Together they weight 3kg, >>
which is still considerably less than a regular battery. > > Why not a
single ETX680 at 1.86KG and 12.4AH (supports 10A at 80% > capacity)? >
>> The question is, what risks are there in using these two >>
dis-similar batteries in parallel? > > Not enough data . . .it might
work. Virtually ALL fat LiFePO4 > batteries are ARRAYS of cells in
series/parallel configuration. The > TrueBlue series of TSO batteries
are multiple arrays EACH having it's > own BMS. > > So what you're
suggesting may well be practical from a electrical > performance
perspective. But then you have TWO batteries to monitor. > If one
services-out before the other, will you replace BOTH or just > one . .
. and worry more about the older battery. > > Methinks it FAR better
to install ONE battery capable of doing the > task. > > Bob . . . > >
Bob . . . >

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Two LiFePO4 batteries in parallel Reply with quote

I took a quick look at the 20AH version, and noticed that its max rated charge current is 20A.

Now, if it's never depleted in the a/c, that might be ok, but what if it is? None of the applications listed on the data sheet are likely to have a 60A-capable alternator pushing electrons. That begs the question: Is it really suitable for a/c use?

That's one of my 'gripes' with the current (pardon the pun) crop of lithium batteries. They talk a good game on battery management, but....

As others have pointed out, a 2nd alternator would probably weigh about the same as the battery, and since you're talking lithium, cost might even be less. Then you have electrons to the point of fuel exhaustion. I'm not IFR rated, but I'm enough of a wimp that if the regs require 45 minutes of reserve fuel, I'd want at least an hour and a half, and I wouldn't want to have to even think about anything else in the plane being exhaustible. Smile

Charlie

On 8/24/2020 1:03 PM, Rob Turk wrote:

> [...]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Two LiFePO4 batteries in parallel Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie,

In this case the 20A max charge is no problem. The standard alternator on this engine (ULPower UL260) is rated at 30A max, and at least 10A of those go to the engine when running single ignition. https://ulpower.com/en/engines/ul260/ul260is

I'll discuss the second alternator option, that might be a better way to go if there's some way to fit one.

Rob

On 8/25/2020 12:46 AM, Charlie England wrote:

Quote:
I took a quick look at the 20AH version, and noticed that its max rated charge current is 20A.

Now, if it's never depleted in the a/c, that might be ok, but what if it is? None of the applications listed on the data sheet are likely to have a 60A-capable alternator pushing electrons. That begs the question: Is it really suitable for a/c use?

That's one of my 'gripes' with the current (pardon the pun) crop of lithium batteries. They talk a good game on battery management, but....

As others have pointed out, a 2nd alternator would probably weigh about the same as the battery, and since you're talking lithium, cost might even be less. Then you have electrons to the point of fuel exhaustion. I'm not IFR rated, but I'm enough of a wimp that if the regs require 45 minutes of reserve fuel, I'd want at least an hour and a half, and I wouldn't want to have to even think about anything else in the plane being exhaustible. Smile

Charlie

On 8/24/2020 1:03 PM, Rob Turk wrote:

Quote:
Hello Bob and all others who replied, thanks for your thoughts

> What are your battery-only endurance goals? 1 hour minimum (at) 12A essential load.
> What brand and model of battery is this? Starter: Landport LFP30: https://www.landportbv.com/nl/producten/accu-lfp30/ Endurance: Landport LFP12-20: https://www.landportbv.com/nl/producten/accu-lfp-v12-020-t3/ Additional reason for this brand: Access to at-cost product as side order from other project > Why not a single ETX680 at 1.86KG and 12.4AH (supports 10A at 80% capacity)? The ETX680 would probably be close enough, if it were available in Europe. Unfortunately shipping Lithium-based batteries from USA is not an option. We need to work with local resources. Thanks, Rob

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours