Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spam Spoof from Matronics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Spam Spoof from Matronics Reply with quote

Not sure how many of you received a message from me that looks like the attachment. I normally send my emails from Gmail, but this one I sent from the digest so that I would get it on the correct subject line, and get a warning from GMail that it might be a spoof. Not sure whether the problem  Matronics virus detector or with Gmail having a problem with Matronics setting. If I am the only one getting these then it is Gmail have problem with Matronics.
--
The older I get, the less tolerant I am of those who are intolerant of others.

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

kolb_warning.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.63 KB
 Viewed:  3186 Time(s)

kolb_warning.JPG

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Spam Spoof from Matronics Reply with quote

On 8/18/2020 9:46 AM, Larry Cottrell wrote:

Quote:
Not sure how many of you received a message from me that looks like the attachment. I normally send my emails from Gmail, but this one I sent from the digest so that I would get it on the correct subject line, and get a warning from GMail that it might be a spoof. Not sure whether the problem  Matronics virus detector or with Gmail having a problem with Matronics setting. If I am the only one getting these then it is Gmail have problem with Matronics.

--

If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

I've never gotten that warning on any of your emails. If you're using Windows and Chrome, you can verify that the message is from Gmail by hovering your mouse pointer over either the 'report spam' or the 'looks safe' buttons, and in the lower left of your screen, you should see a popup that shows the actual web address that the hyperlink would take you to.

Assuming that it really is Gmail, then just clicking the 'looks safe' hyperlink might solve the problem. I'd bet that it's just a conflict between the way Matronics handles re-sending emails, and the way Gmail compares return address shown to actual origin.

Charlie
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Spam Spoof from Matronics Reply with quote

Well actually not. I have clicked  "looks Safe" every time I get one of these, and it has not helped. I also hovered over every thing in the message and nothing pops up or changes. I guess it is jut happening with me, and I can live with that.
Larry
On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 9:39 AM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

--

I've never gotten that warning on any of your emails. If you're using Windows and Chrome, you can verify that the message is from Gmail by hovering your mouse pointer over either the 'report spam' or the 'looks safe' buttons, and in the lower left of your screen, you should see a popup that shows the actual web address that the hyperlink would take you to.

Assuming that it really is Gmail, then just clicking the 'looks safe' hyperlink might solve the problem. I'd bet that it's just a conflict between the way Matronics handles re-sending emails, and the way Gmail compares return address shown to actual origin.

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_8559280795795133119_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

--

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Spam Spoof from Matronics Reply with quote

For the popup: you can see one in this image:
[img]cid:part1.2A41B07A.DFAB556A(at)gmail.com[/img]

My mouse pointer (which doesn't show up in the screenshot) was hovering over the word 'here' in the last sentence, and at the bottom left of the image, you can see in the gray tinted bar, 'www.spacex.com/launches'. That's the destination the hyperlink 'here' takes you to.

I'm using Win7 & Chrome. If you're using an i-device, it might act differently.

I suspect that the best thing to do is, as you say, to 'live with it'. Since it doesn't seem to be causing any issues with the rest of us, it probably makes sense to 'pick your windmills'.

Charlie

On 8/18/2020 10:45 AM, Larry Cottrell wrote:

Quote:
Well actually not. I have clicked  "looks Safe" every time I get one of these, and it has not helped. I also hovered over every thing in the message and nothing pops up or changes. I guess it is jut happening with me, and I can live with that.
Larry

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 9:39 AM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

--

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_8559280795795133119_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

--

gcoaaokbknlaiemf.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  216.33 KB
 Viewed:  3186 Time(s)

gcoaaokbknlaiemf.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: