Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wing Root Fairing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Wing Root Fairing Reply with quote

Perhaps I am missing something in the plans. Section 44 on wing attach has you fit the wing root fairing top and bottom to the fuselage. I recall doing a lot of filing to make this fit, although I don't see any mention now in the plans for having to do that. My question is, I see nothing calling for U-channel or other weather strip. rubber between the wing root fairing  and the fuselage. Even with careful fitting you pretty much have to have at least 16" gap. It seems like it might be worth enlarging the gap a little to put some for of rubber there to get an actual seal. What have all y'all done with that?
Kelly
Flying since 2016, getting close to paint shop

Quote:
Sent from my TRS-80 Model 100

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

rleffler

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Wing Root Fairing Reply with quote

Filed to about a 1/16” gap. Be sure to allow for paint thickness, so my 1/16” gap was probably closer to 1/8” before paint.

Although I do know others that installed a rubber seal too.

Get Outlook for iOS

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2020 8:23:45 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Wing Root Fairing

Perhaps I am missing something in the plans. Section 44 on wing attach has you fit the wing root fairing top and bottom to the fuselage. I recall doing a lot of filing to make this fit, although I don't see any mention now in the plans for having to do that. My question is, I see nothing calling for U-channel or other weather strip. rubber between the wing root fairing and the fuselage. Even with careful fitting you pretty much have to have at least 16" gap. It seems like it might be worth enlarging the gap a little to put some for of rubber there to get an actual seal. What have all y'all done with that?
Kelly

Quote:

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Lenny Iszak

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Wing Root Fairing Reply with quote

I used a rubber j strip fromSpruce. Photo attached.

[img]cid:FFCAC626-578F-4DB8-B9CA-B6FFDA39D14A-L0-001[/img]

Lenny

Quote:
On May 24, 2020, at 8:35 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Perhaps I am missing something in the plans. Section 44 on wing attach has you fit the wing root fairing top and bottom to the fuselage. I recall doing a lot of filing to make this fit, although I don't see any mention now in the plans for having to do that. My question is, I see nothing calling for U-channel or other weather strip. rubber between the wing root fairing and the fuselage. Even with careful fitting you pretty much have to have at least 16" gap. It seems like it might be worth enlarging the gap a little to put some for of rubber there to get an actual seal. What have all y'all done with that?
Kelly

Quote:

image0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  744.15 KB
 Viewed:  6163 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

kearney

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Wing Root Fairing Reply with quote

Kelly

I used edge guard from an auto body shop on both my -10s. Works very nicely.
Cheers
Les

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 24, 2020, at 7:29 PM, Lenard Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:

I used a rubber j strip fromSpruce. Photo attached.

<image0.jpeg>

Lenny

Quote:
On May 24, 2020, at 8:35 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Kelly

Quote:

rjones560xl@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Wing Root Fairing Reply with quote

You can’t put any rubber there. The fairing lays tight against the surface underneath. There is no room for any kind of seal.

Robert Jones

Quote:
On May 24, 2020, at 5:32 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Kelly

Quote:

philperry9

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Wing Root Fairing Reply with quote

I opened it up to about 1/8th inch or so, then installed some U shaped rubber on the wing root fairing. It seals up tight and looks nice.

No issues making it work - easy to do.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 24, 2020, at 9:06 PM, Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com> wrote:

You can’t put any rubber there. The fairing lays tight against the surface underneath. There is no room for any kind of seal.

Robert Jones

Quote:
On May 24, 2020, at 5:32 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Kelly

Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: