Wing Root Fairing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
Kelly McMullen

Joined: 16 Apr 2008
Location: Sun Lakes AZ

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Wing Root Fairing Reply with quote

Perhaps I am missing something in the plans. Section 44 on wing attach has you fit the wing root fairing top and bottom to the fuselage. I recall doing a lot of filing to make this fit, although I don't see any mention now in the plans for having to do that. My question is, I see nothing calling for U-channel or other weather strip. rubber between the wing root fairing  and the fuselage. Even with careful fitting you pretty much have to have at least 16" gap. It seems like it might be worth enlarging the gap a little to put some for of rubber there to get an actual seal. What have all y'all done with that?
Kelly
40866
Flying since 2016, getting close to paint shop

Quote:
Sent from my TRS-80 Model 100

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

_________________
Kelly McMullen
A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor
KCHD
rleffler

Joined: 05 Nov 2006

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Wing Root Fairing Reply with quote

Filed to about a 1/16” gap. Be sure to allow for paint thickness, so my 1/16” gap was probably closer to 1/8” before paint.

Although I do know others that installed a rubber seal too.

Get Outlook for iOS

[...]

Bob Leffler
N410BL - Phase I
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler
Lenny Iszak

Joined: 23 Mar 2008

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Wing Root Fairing Reply with quote

I used a rubber j strip fromSpruce. Photo attached.

[img]cid:FFCAC626-578F-4DB8-B9CA-B6FFDA39D14A-L0-001[/img]

Lenny

Quote:
On May 24, 2020, at 8:35 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

image0.jpeg
 Filesize:  744.15 KB
 Viewed:  6163 Time(s)

image0.jpeg

_________________
Lenny Iszak
Palm City, FL
2014 RV-10, N311LZ - 500 hrs
kearney

Joined: 20 Sep 2008

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Wing Root Fairing Reply with quote

Kelly

I used edge guard from an auto body shop on both my -10s. Works very nicely.
Cheers
Les

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 24, 2020, at 7:29 PM, Lenard Iszak <lenard(at)rapiddecision.com> wrote:

[...]

rjones560xl@gmail.com

Joined: 29 Jul 2015
Location: Las Vegas, NV

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Wing Root Fairing Reply with quote

You can’t put any rubber there. The fairing lays tight against the surface underneath. There is no room for any kind of seal.

Robert Jones

Quote:
On May 24, 2020, at 5:32 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Robert J Jones
702-521-1840
philperry9

Joined: 23 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Wing Root Fairing Reply with quote

I opened it up to about 1/8th inch or so, then installed some U shaped rubber on the wing root fairing. It seals up tight and looks nice.

No issues making it work - easy to do.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On May 24, 2020, at 9:06 PM, Robert Jones <rjones560xl(at)gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours