Yak-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 05/02/20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
bultaco956(at)yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Yak-List Digest: 4 Msgs - 05/02/20 Reply with quote

Larry: I had a shimmy problem in my CJ that bugged me for quite some time. I had the CJ for almost 10 years before it cropped up. It started out as an occasional nuisance and one day it shook bad and did break the splined shaft. OH dampener but still a transient nuisance problem on takeoff and under braking. Over a period of time changed nose tire, balanced nose wheel, changed nose tire again and reversed direction of wheel - that finally fixed it. I believe my root cause was the tendency of the Desser tires to go out of round if left to sit for an extended time particularly if the tire becomes oil contaminated and/or low on pressure. I am more careful caring for my nose tire tire now. BTW there was no doubt the shaft broke the day it let go. Doug has the parts, I did source thin stainless washers elsewhere to shim scissors per PLA MM. Hope this helps.
Jay Wells
1985 CJ6A

On Sunday, May 3, 2020, 05:19:39 AM EDT, Yak-List Digest Server <yak-list(at)matronics.com> wrote:

*

=========================

Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive

=========================

Today's complete Yak-List Digest can also be found in either of the

two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted

in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes

and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version

of the Yak-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor

such as Notepad or with a web browser.

HTML Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter=2020-05-02&Archive=Yak

Text Version:

  http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter=2020-05-02&Archive=Yak

=======================

EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive

=======================

Yak-List Digest Archive

    ---

  Total Messages Posted Sat 05/02/20: 4

Today's Message Index:

----------------------

  1. 05:50 AM - Shimmy vibration? (motoadve)

2. 07:36 AM - Re: Shimmy vibration? (Larry Pine)

3. 10:55 AM - Re: Shimmy vibration? (doug sapp)

4. 03:40 PM - Re: Shimmy vibration? (motoadve)

________________________________ Message 1 _____________________________________

Time: 05:50:16 AM PST US

Subject: Shimmy vibration?

From: "motoadve" <larry(at)motoadventuring.com (larry(at)motoadventuring.com)>

It had happened twice, once landing on grass strip that transitions to pavement,

the nose wheel got back in the air a bit and when it touched down, got lots

of vibration, whole plane shaking.

Second time I did a landing and bounced, (short field and wanted to be down before

I should , had too much energy) when it touched down again lots of vibration,

whole plane shaking.

Both times I thought I had a flat tire.

Take offs , no vibration , and regular landings no vibration, seems to be the nose

wheel does not likes to come back up in the air because the second time it

touches down generates a lot of vibration.

Any ideas what causes this (apart from lousy landing ) Smile

--------

www.Backcountry182.com

Cessna 182 P

CJ -6

________________________________ Message 2  _____________________________________

Time: 07:36:04 AM PST US

From: Larry Pine <threein60(at)yahoo.com (threein60(at)yahoo.com)>

Subject: Re: Shimmy vibration?

Service shimmy dampener=C2-

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, May 2, 2020, 05:59, motoadve <larry(at)motoadventuring.com (larry(at)motoadventuring.com)> wrote

:

It had happened twice, once landing on grass strip that transitions to pave

ment, the nose wheel got back in the air a bit and when it touched down, go

t lots of vibration, whole plane shaking.

Second time I did a landing and bounced, (short field and wanted to be down

before I should , had too much energy) when it touched down again lots of

vibration, whole plane shaking.

Both times I thought I had a flat tire.

Take offs , no vibration , and regular landings no vibration, seems to be t

he nose wheel does not likes to come back up in the air because the second

time it touches down generates a lot of vibration.

Any ideas what causes this (apart from lousy landing ) Smile

--------

www.Backcountry182.com

Cessna 182 P

CJ -6

S -

WIKI -

-

=C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- =C2- -Matt Dralle, List Admin.

________________________________ Message 3 _____________________________________

Time: 10:55:27 AM PST US

From: doug sapp <dougsappllc(at)gmail.com (dougsappllc(at)gmail.com)>

Could be several things:

Linkage worn

Scissors worn

Splined shaft (in damper) sheared

Damper needs overhauled

My guess is that the splined shaft is sheared. I have o/h kits and new

splined shafts if you discover you need them.

Best,

Doug

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 5:53 AM motoadve <larry(at)motoadventuring.com (larry(at)motoadventuring.com)> wrote:

It had happened twice, once landing on grass strip that transitions to

Quote:
[...]

________________________________ Message 4  _____________________________________

Time: 03:40:07 PM PST US

From: "motoadve" <larry(at)motoadventuring.com (larry(at)motoadventuring.com)>

Thanks Doug, good to hear from you, will keep you posted.

--------

www.Backcountry182.com

Cessna 182 P

CJ -6

_/Navigator?Yak-List" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.matronic= - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS= --> http://forums.matronics.com

hnbsp; -Matt Dralle, List Admin.

http://www.matronics.com/contribution</=====================

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours