Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magnetic heading sensor (ZH-4)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draftsjust417(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Magnetic heading sensor (ZH-4) Reply with quote

Ok, in this season of electrical gremlins for me, I have a fresh issue that's just come up...
My magnetic heading indicator (p/n ZH-4) in the fwd cockpit has always read 
flawlessly when compared w/ wet compass, and it's snapped to attention 
when I depress the small "Synch" button above it. My mag heading sensor 
unit (p/n GHC-2) is back in the empennage.  
Lately it's been reading 30- 45 deg off from the wet compass.
Fixing a loose wire in the synch switch hasn't improved it's accuracy.
Otherwise I haven't touched anything. 
Other ideas for adjusting or correcting the issue?
Are there adjustments on the sensor in the tail?
Inputs, experiences, and advice welcome!
Thanks-
Justin Drafts
N280NC

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Magnetic heading sensor (ZH-4) Reply with quote

Excellent background & info, much appreciated Walt!

Not having looked at the GHC-2 in years, I presume there's a straightforward way to check/service the fluid?
(Will also clean all the cannon plugs.)   -Justin
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:59 AM Walter Lannon <wlannon(at)shaw.ca (wlannon(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:

Quote:
Hi Justin;

The Gyro stabilized magnetic compass system in the CJ is a complex “gyrosyn” system most of which I am certainly not qualified to give any guidance on with one possible exception.

The primary unit (GHC-2) unlike more modern systems is in fact a very large and very accurate WET magnetic compass.  It’s output is fed through the stabilizing gyro which corrects turning errors, etc.  before display on the cockpit indicator.  It looks, not surprisingly, like a WW2 era British unit.  As such it does require some periodic maintenance.

Your problem of course may be electrical in nature in, or between, any one of the three units.  But it could also be a purely magnetic compass problem like loss of fluid or fluid contamination over the years.  I have known people to top-up or re-fill a compass with petroleum solvent (Varsol, Stoddard, etc.) since it looks and smells like compass fluid.  It is also loaded with bacteria that over time can gum up a compass. 
Compass fluid is basically kerosene, triple distilled to kill the bugs.   Don’t use anything else.

Unlike your standby compass this one takes a lot of fluid!

Cheers;
Walt

Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 2:38 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com (yak-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Magnetic heading sensor (ZH-4)

Ok, in this season of electrical gremlins for me, I have a fresh  issue that's just come up...

My magnetic heading indicator (p/n ZH-4) in the fwd cockpit has always read

Thanks-
Justin Drafts
N280NC

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com
[url=#m_920027706031010472_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Clouddog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Magnetic heading sensor (ZH-4) Reply with quote

I have the exact same issue. Tried cleaning the plugs and not much help. The other day it was back to normal for one flight and now 40-60 degrees off again.  Not that I use it much but I like everything working correctly in my airplane. I will continue to explore the system and share with you if I have a miraculous discovery. 

Greg "Clouddog " Wrobel 
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, 00:42 Justin Drafts <draftsjust417(at)gmail.com (draftsjust417(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Not having looked at the GHC-2 in years, I presume there's a straightforward way to check/service the fluid?
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:59 AM Walter Lannon <wlannon(at)shaw.ca (wlannon(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:

Quote:
Hi Justin;

The Gyro stabilized magnetic compass system in the CJ is a complex “gyrosyn” system most of which I am certainly not qualified to give any guidance on with one possible exception.

The primary unit (GHC-2) unlike more modern systems is in fact a very large and very accurate WET magnetic compass.  It’s output is fed through the stabilizing gyro which corrects turning errors, etc.  before display on the cockpit indicator.  It looks, not surprisingly, like a WW2 era British unit.  As such it does require some periodic maintenance.

Your problem of course may be electrical in nature in, or between, any one of the three units.  But it could also be a purely magnetic compass problem like loss of fluid or fluid contamination over the years.  I have known people to top-up or re-fill a compass with petroleum solvent (Varsol, Stoddard, etc.) since it looks and smells like compass fluid.  It is also loaded with bacteria that over time can gum up a compass. 
Compass fluid is basically kerosene, triple distilled to kill the bugs.   Don’t use anything else.

Cheers;
Walt

Ok, in this season of electrical gremlins for me, I have a fresh  issue that's just come up...

Thanks-
Justin Drafts
N280NC

www.avast.com
[url=#m_9143583552633769015_m_920027706031010472_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

n13472(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Magnetic heading sensor (ZH-4) Reply with quote

Remember that there is two vacuum tubes in the slaving amplifier. And they
wear out with use / age.

Tom Elliott
CJ-6A NX63727
777 Quartz Ave
PMB 7004
Sandy Valley NV.
Cell 541-297-5497
N13472(at)AOL.COM

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Greg Wrobel
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 7:45 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Magnetic heading sensor (ZH-4)

I have the exact same issue. Tried cleaning the plugs and not much help. The other day it was back to normal for one flight and now 40-60 degrees off again. Not that I use it much but I like everything working correctly in my airplane. I will continue to explore the system and share with you if I have a miraculous discovery.

Greg "Clouddog " Wrobel

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, 00:42 Justin Drafts <draftsjust417(at)gmail.com (draftsjust417(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

(Will also clean all the cannon plugs.) -Justin

Quote:

Hi Justin;

The primary unit (GHC-2) unlike more modern systems is in fact a very large and very accurate WET magnetic compass. It’s output is fed through the stabilizing gyro which corrects turning errors, etc. before display on the cockpit indicator. It looks, not surprisingly, like a WW2 era British unit. As such it does require some periodic maintenance.

Your problem of course may be electrical in nature in, or between, any one of the three units. But it could also be a purely magnetic compass problem like loss of fluid or fluid contamination over the years. I have known people to top-up or re-fill a compass with petroleum solvent (Varsol, Stoddard, etc.) since it looks and smells like compass fluid. It is also loaded with bacteria that over time can gum up a compass.

Compass fluid is basically kerosene, triple distilled to kill the bugs. Don’t use anything else.

Cheers;

Walt

Ok, in this season of electrical gremlins for me, I have a fresh
issue that's just come up...

Thanks-

Justin Drafts

N280NC

www.avast.com

richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Magnetic heading sensor (ZH-4) Reply with quote

I apologise for asking what might seem to be a silly question, but is there any reason not to navigate with a simple, traditional compass?

Why make life more complicated than is absolutely necessary?

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Rhodds Farm, Lyonshall, Hereford, HR5 3LW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
e-mail: richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)
www.russianaeros.com
WORLD LEADERS IN RUSSIAN SPORTING AIRCRAFT & ENGINES
In partnership with Aerometal Kft, Hungary.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Greg Wrobel
Sent: 29 April 2020 15:45

I have the exact same issue. Tried cleaning the plugs and not much help. The other day it was back to normal for one flight and now 40-60 degrees off again. Not that I use it much but I like everything working correctly in my airplane. I will continue to explore the system and share with you if I have a miraculous discovery.

Greg "Clouddog " Wrobel

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Justin;

The primary unit (GHC-2) unlike more modern systems is in fact a very large and very accurate WET magnetic compass. It’s output is fed through the stabilizing gyro which corrects turning errors, etc. before display on the cockpit indicator. It looks, not surprisingly, like a WW2 era British unit. As such it does require some periodic maintenance.

Your problem of course may be electrical in nature in, or between, any one of the three units. But it could also be a purely magnetic compass problem like loss of fluid or fluid contamination over the years. I have known people to top-up or re-fill a compass with petroleum solvent (Varsol, Stoddard, etc.) since it looks and smells like compass fluid. It is also loaded with bacteria that over time can gum up a compass.

Compass fluid is basically kerosene, triple distilled to kill the bugs. Don’t use anything else.

Cheers;

Walt

Thanks-

Justin Drafts

N280NC

[img]cid:~WRD0002.jpg[/img]
www.avast.com

~WRD0002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  823 Bytes
 Viewed:  4457 Time(s)

~WRD0002.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Magnetic heading sensor (ZH-4) Reply with quote

Ditto, good point Tom, thanks!J
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 10:50 PM Walter Lannon <wlannon(at)shaw.ca (wlannon(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:

Quote:
Good point Tom.

I had forgotten about the amplifier.

Walt

Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 8:37 AM
Subject: RE: Re: Magnetic heading sensor (ZH-4)

Remember that there is two vacuum tubes in the slaving amplifier. And they
wear out with use / age.

Tom Elliott
CJ-6A NX63727
777 Quartz Ave
PMB 7004
Sandy Valley NV.
Cell 541-297-5497
N13472(at)AOL.COM (N13472(at)AOL.COM)

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Greg Wrobel
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 7:45 AM

I have the exact same issue. Tried cleaning the plugs and not much help. The other day it was back to normal for one flight and now 40-60 degrees off again.  Not that I use it much but I like everything working correctly in my airplane. I will continue to explore the system and share with you if I have a miraculous discovery.

Greg "Clouddog " Wrobel

Quote:

(Will also clean all the cannon plugs.)   -Justin

Quote:

Hi Justin;

Cheers;

Walt

Thanks-

Justin Drafts

N280NC

www.avast.com

hess737(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Magnetic heading sensor (ZH-4) Reply with quote

There you go being all logical...

Richard HessC 404-964-4885
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2020, at 2:25 PM, Richard Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com> wrote:

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I apologise for asking what might seem to be a silly question, but is there any reason not to navigate with a simple, traditional compass?

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Tel: +44 (0)1544 340120 Fax: +44 (0)1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Greg Wrobel

Greg "Clouddog " Wrobel

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Justin;

Cheers;

Walt

Subject: Yak-List: Re: Magnetic heading sensor (ZH-4)

Thanks-

Justin Drafts

N280NC

<~WRD0002.jpg>

www.avast.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Magnetic heading sensor (ZH-4) Reply with quote

Nope, nothing wrong at all with the tried & true wet compass...The ex-aero engineer (=perfectionist ) in me just likes to keep existing systems on the plane in decent working order.
There are definitely much better ways to navigate, ie a variety of affordable GPS's,  but I'm a nostalgic purist...
Justin
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, 11:32 AM Richard Goode <richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com (richard.goode(at)russianaeros.com)> wrote:

Quote:

RICHARD GOODE AEROBATICS
Tel:  +44 (0)1544 340120   Fax:  +44 (0)1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Greg Wrobel

Greg "Clouddog " Wrobel 

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Justin;

Cheers;

Walt

Thanks-

Justin Drafts

N280NC

[img]cid:~WRD0002.jpg[/img]
www.avast.com

~WRD0002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  823 Bytes
 Viewed:  4456 Time(s)

~WRD0002.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: