Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radio noise when transmitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markdonahue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Radio noise when transmitting Reply with quote

I have an RV 9A aircraft with a 60 amp Plane Power alternator and an Icom IC-200 radio. I recently installed ADSB (echo UAT/FYX-EXT) with associated antennae at recommended spacing on the plane’s belly. My recent symptoms are a high whine in the headset when transmitting on the radio. I hear incoming radio transmissions clearly. I checked disconnecting the alternator by opening the field circuit breaker and the sound during transmitting goes away.
This issue may be more noticeable while on the ground. When announcing “ready for take-off” I get a response from fellow pilots in the pattern that they hear a high whine in the transmission. However when at 3000 ft altitude and 5 miles from the field during a radio check, the sound in my head set is diminished and the response from fellow pilots is “loud and clear”. The fact that this occurred after the ADSB installation may be unrelated. I don’t remember this problem immediately after that installation, so this may be a canard. Any advice on how to trouble shoot this and recommended fixes that I could attempt.
Thanks to this group. I enjoy and appreciate the knowledge and experience of the members.
Mark Donahue
206 755 1093

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

user9253

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio noise when transmitting Reply with quote

Make sure that the microphone jacks are electrically insulated from the airframe
with dielectric washers. The mic ground wire should be grounded at the radio end only.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

markdonahue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio noise when transmitting Reply with quote

I spoke to Allen (at) Hartsell (owner of Plane Power now) and he thought it could well be a bad diode on the alternator. Suggested testing between the alternator output to ground with a volt meter set to AC voltage. If I get something closer to 1 volt, as opposed to say .08 volt, then that would show a bad diode. Also suggested checking the grounds. I plan to do that. Thanks for the suggestion on the headphone jacks isolation washers. I will check that also.
Mark

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Radio noise when transmitting Reply with quote

Also, try adjusting the volume on your headset, if it has a volume control. I had an issue of a squeal on transmit. I think the headset was picking up the transmitted signal and amplifying it back out. Problem went away when I turned the headset volume down
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Quote:
On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 7:27 PM, user9253
<fransew(at)gmail.com> wrote:

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com (fransew(at)gmail.com)>

Make sure that the microphone jacks are electrically insulated from the airframe

with dielectric washers. The mic ground wire should be grounded at the radio end only.

--------

Joe Gores

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Radio noise when transmitting Reply with quote

At 01:39 PM 3/16/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
I have an RV 9A aircraft with a 60 amp Plane Power alternator and an Icom IC-200 radio. I recently installed ADSB (echo UAT/FYX-EXT) with associated antennae at recommended spacing on the plane’s belly. My recent symptoms are a high whine in the headset when transmitting on the radio. I hear incoming radio transmissions clearly. I checked disconnecting the alternator by opening the field circuit breaker and the sound during transmitting goes away.
This issue may be more noticeable while on the ground. When announcing “ready for take-off” I get a response from fellow pilots in the pattern that they hear a high whine in the transmission. However when at 3000 ft altitude and 5 miles from the field during a radio check, the sound in my head set is diminished and the response from fellow pilots is “loud and clear”. The fact that this occurred after the ADSB installation may be unrelated. I don’t remember this problem immediately after that installation, so this may be a canard. Any advice on how to trouble shoot this and recommended fixes that I could attempt.
Thanks to this group. I enjoy and appreciate the knowledge and experience of the members.
Mark Donahue
206 755 1093

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "user9253" <fransew(at)gmail.com>

--------
Joe Gores

Joe's suggestion is a good one. Alternator whine
is almost always conducted into transmitted audio
by a ground loop caused by mounting the microphone
jack to airframe without and insulating washer.

https://tinyurl.com/t4kveee

A possible reason for the noise going away while
airborne: Alternator currents flowing on the
airframe are greatest when alternator loads are
heavy. Just after start, the battery is being
recharged which adds to noise source. After
a few minutes recharge, airframe currents
are reduced.

If you already have these washers, then the
hypothesis is moot. Diode failures are rare.
Let us know what you discover.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: