Airplane Tug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
GalinHdz

Joined: 08 Nov 2017

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

With a full tank of fuel it is difficult to push the airplane in to the hangar without help. Additionally, the airplane wash racks/fuel pumps are a good distance from our hangar and requires towing the airplane on active taxiways. So, I bought a 1994 Montgomery Wards riding mower, rebuilt it and made it into an airplane tug. Here is a link to our web page with photos of what I did.
www.puertoricoflyer.com

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
GalinHdz

Joined: 08 Nov 2017

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

Here is what the mower should look like and what it looks like now.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 8:37 PM Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
With a full tank of fuel it is difficult to push the airplane in to the hangar without help. Additionally, the airplane wash racks/fuel pumps are a good distance from our hangar and requires towing the airplane on active taxiways. So, I bought a 1994 Montgomery Wards riding mower, rebuilt it and made it into an airplane tug. Here is a link to our web page with photos of what I did.
www.puertoricoflyer.com

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List

!Original_Tug_-_Sm.jpg
 Filesize:  371.66 KB
 Viewed:  8902 Time(s)

!Original_Tug_-_Sm.jpg

Lawnmower_Tug_2_-_Sm.jpg
 Filesize:  876.09 KB
 Viewed:  8902 Time(s)

Lawnmower_Tug_2_-_Sm.jpg

Robert Reed

Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Location: Dallas/Ft.Worth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

And for some strange reason my plane gets heavier and harder to push back into the hangar with each year. I am trying to adapt a Jazzy Scooter for use as a tug. Just haven’t found the time.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:

=================================== =================================== =================================== =================================== =================================== ===================================

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Robert Reed

Joined: 22 Oct 2009
Location: Dallas/Ft.Worth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

Looks great.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Mar 12, 2020, at 7:47 PM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Here is what the mower should look like and what it looks like now.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 8:37 PM Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
With a full tank of fuel it is difficult to push the airplane in to the hangar without help. Additionally, the airplane wash racks/fuel pumps are a good distance from our hangar and requires towing the airplane on active taxiways. So, I bought a 1994 Montgomery Wards riding mower, rebuilt it and made it into an airplane tug. Here is a link to our web page with photos of what I did.
www.puertoricoflyer.com

<!Original Tug - Sm.jpg>
<Lawnmower Tug 2 - Sm.jpg>

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
wschertz343(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

I used a battery powered winch at the back of the hanger, with a remote control to run it while it pulled the plane into the hanger (uphill) and I steered from the front. ~ $70 at Harbor Freight

Wouldn't solve the "going to the gas pump".
Nice work Galin
On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 7:31 PM Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Looks great.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Mar 12, 2020, at 7:47 PM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Here is what the mower should look like and what it looks like now.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 8:37 PM Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
With a full tank of fuel it is difficult to push the airplane in to the hangar without help. Additionally, the airplane wash racks/fuel pumps are a good distance from our hangar and requires towing the airplane on active taxiways. So, I bought a 1994 Montgomery Wards riding mower, rebuilt it and made it into an airplane tug. Here is a link to our web page with photos of what I did.
www.puertoricoflyer.com

<!Original Tug - Sm.jpg>
<Lawnmower Tug 2 - Sm.jpg>

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Back to top
GalinHdz

Joined: 08 Nov 2017

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

And now I have the only "classic" airplane tug at the airport. It is quite the spectacle when I drive it around with a drink in the coozy holder and the beacon flashing away. Even I have to chuckle.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 9:41 PM William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

[...]

ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com
Guest

Here is what the mower should look like and what it looks like now.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 8:37 PM Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

With a full tank of fuel it is difficult to push the airplane in to the hangar without help. Additionally, the airplane wash racks/fuel pumps are a good distance from our hangar and requires towing the airplane on active taxiways. So, I bought a 1994 Montgomery Wards riding mower, rebuilt it and made it into an airplane tug. Here is a link to our web page with photos of what I did.

www.puertoricoflyer.com

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Back to top
GalinHdz

Joined: 08 Nov 2017

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

Now with dual exhaust pipes. maybe some chrome rims for the "hot rod" image. Wink

Here is what the mower should look like and what it looks like now.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 8:37 PM Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

With a full tank of fuel it is difficult to push the airplane in to the hangar without help. Additionally, the airplane wash racks/fuel pumps are a good distance from our hangar and requires towing the airplane on active taxiways. So, I bought a 1994 Montgomery Wards riding mower, rebuilt it and made it into an airplane tug. Here is a link to our web page with photos of what I did.

www.puertoricoflyer.com

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List

Dual_Exhaust_-_Sm.jpg
 Filesize:  434.53 KB
 Viewed:  8887 Time(s)

Dual_Exhaust_-_Sm.jpg

mike(at)vision499.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

Hi Galin

Looked at the pictures on your website, great job and well done, good idea

Keep well

Mike