Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airplane Tug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GalinHdz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

With a full tank of fuel it is difficult to push the airplane in to the hangar without help. Additionally, the airplane wash racks/fuel pumps are a good distance from our hangar and requires towing the airplane on active taxiways. So, I bought a 1994 Montgomery Wards riding mower, rebuilt it and made it into an airplane tug. Here is a link to our web page with photos of what I did.
www.puertoricoflyer.com

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
GalinHdz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

Here is what the mower should look like and what it looks like now. 

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 8:37 PM Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
With a full tank of fuel it is difficult to push the airplane in to the hangar without help. Additionally, the airplane wash racks/fuel pumps are a good distance from our hangar and requires towing the airplane on active taxiways. So, I bought a 1994 Montgomery Wards riding mower, rebuilt it and made it into an airplane tug. Here is a link to our web page with photos of what I did.
www.puertoricoflyer.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

!Original_Tug_-_Sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  371.66 KB
 Viewed:  8902 Time(s)

!Original_Tug_-_Sm.jpg

Lawnmower_Tug_2_-_Sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  876.09 KB
 Viewed:  8902 Time(s)

Lawnmower_Tug_2_-_Sm.jpg

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

And for some strange reason my plane gets heavier and harder to push back into the hangar with each year. I am trying to adapt a Jazzy Scooter for use as a tug. Just haven’t found the time.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Mar 12, 2020, at 7:36 PM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

www.puertoricoflyer.com

=================================== =================================== =================================== =================================== =================================== ===================================

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

Looks great.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Mar 12, 2020, at 7:47 PM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 8:37 PM Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
www.puertoricoflyer.com

<!Original Tug - Sm.jpg>
<Lawnmower Tug 2 - Sm.jpg>

wschertz343(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

I used a battery powered winch at the back of the hanger, with a remote control to run it while it pulled the plane into the hanger (uphill) and I steered from the front. ~ $70 at Harbor Freight

Wouldn't solve the "going to the gas pump".
Nice work Galin
On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 7:31 PM Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Looks great. 

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Mar 12, 2020, at 7:47 PM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
www.puertoricoflyer.com

<!Original Tug - Sm.jpg>

GalinHdz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

And now I have the only "classic" airplane tug at the airport. It is quite the spectacle when I drive it around with a drink in the coozy holder and the beacon flashing away. Even I have to chuckle.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 9:41 PM William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I used a battery powered winch at the back of the hanger, with a remote control to run it while it pulled the plane into the hanger (uphill) and I steered from the front. ~ $70 at Harbor Freight

Wouldn't solve the "going to the gas pump".
Nice work Galin
On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 7:31 PM Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Looks great. 

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Mar 12, 2020, at 7:47 PM, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
www.puertoricoflyer.com

<!Original Tug - Sm.jpg>

ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

Good Job!

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Galin Hernandez
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2020 5:45 PM
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Airplane Tug

Quote:

www.puertoricoflyer.com

GalinHdz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

Now with dual exhaust pipes. maybe some chrome rims for the "hot rod" image. Wink

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 11:59 PM Tim Yoder <ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com (ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Good Job!

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Galin Hernandez
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2020 5:45 PM
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)

Quote:

www.puertoricoflyer.com

Dual_Exhaust_-_Sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  434.53 KB
 Viewed:  8887 Time(s)

Dual_Exhaust_-_Sm.jpg

mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

Hi Galin

Looked at the pictures on your website, great job and well done, good idea

Keep well

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Galin Hernandez
Sent: March 12, 2020 5:34 PM
Subject: Airplane Tug

www.puertoricoflyer.com
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

GalinHdz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

I have been working on pushing the plane into the hangar with the tug. It is a WHOLE LOT harder to do than I thought. Guess it gonna be a while before I get anywhere good at doing it.

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 11:25 PM <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Hi Galin

Keep well

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Galin Hernandez

www.puertoricoflyer.com

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_3933408715612839662_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Plane_and_Tug_-_Sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  385.69 KB
 Viewed:  8858 Time(s)

Plane_and_Tug_-_Sm.jpg

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

Galin,
I can appreciate the issue more than you realize. I have tried to use the Jazzy Wheelchair that I have on a several occasions but ONLY when there is nobody else around. Using a joy stick control with 360 degree movement and trying to push the plane back reminded me of the old Keystone Cops routines. I could never figure out which way to move the joy stick to get the desired results. Took several times longer than just pushing it back by hand which is always fun since I can't see where I am going when trying to push it back. I have to bend down and push back to get the leverage which also makes it impossible to see where the tail is going.
Oh the burdens we must bear....as my wife reminds me every time I mention it.
Bob Reed

On Sunday, March 15, 2020, 11:19:30 PM CDT, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com> wrote:

I have been working on pushing the plane into the hangar with the tug. It is a WHOLE LOT harder to do than I thought. Guess it gonna be a while before I get anywhere good at doing it.
On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 11:25 PM <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Hi Galin

Keep well

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Galin HernandezSent: March 12, 2020 5:34 PMTo: kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)Subject: Airplane Tug

www.puertoricoflyer.com
Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#m_3933408715612839662_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

I have helped a friend move his aircraft with a tug. A lot more difficult than it seems. Much like driving in reverse with a trailer.
Keep well

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Robert Reed
Sent: March 16, 2020 8:02 AM

Galin,

I can appreciate the issue more than you realize. I have tried to use the Jazzy Wheelchair that I have on a several occasions but ONLY when there is nobody else around. Using a joy stick control with 360 degree movement and trying to push the plane back reminded me of the old Keystone Cops routines. I could never figure out which way to move the joy stick to get the desired results. Took several times longer than just pushing it back by hand which is always fun since I can't see where I am going when trying to push it back. I have to bend down and push back to get the leverage which also makes it impossible to see where the tail is going.

Bob Reed

On Sunday, March 15, 2020, 11:19:30 PM CDT, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Hi Galin

Keep well

Mike

www.puertoricoflyer.com

Virus-free. www.avast.com

GalinHdz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Airplane Tug Reply with quote

My son-in-law (Chinook Helicopter Mechanic with the Army NG) told me how to push an aircraft with a tug. He told me I was probably over thinking the whole process.

He told me do not think or look at anything but the tail of the aircraft. If you want the tail to go left, you turn to the left. If you want the tail to go right, you turn to the right. If you think about it or look at anything else you won't be able to do it.

So I tried it and it worked like magic. I got the airplane in the hangar on my 1st try. YAAAAAYYYYY!!!

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 3:14 PM <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:

Quote:

I have helped a friend move his aircraft with a tug. A lot more difficult than it seems. Much like driving in reverse with a trailer.
Keep well

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Robert Reed
Sent: March 16, 2020 8:02 AM

Galin,

I can appreciate the issue more than you realize.  I have tried to use the Jazzy Wheelchair that I have on a several occasions but ONLY when there is nobody else around.  Using a joy stick control with 360 degree movement and trying to push the plane back reminded me of the old Keystone Cops routines.  I could never figure out which way to move the joy stick to get the desired results.  Took several times longer than just pushing it back by hand which is always fun since I can't see where I am going when trying to push it back.  I have to bend down and push back to get the leverage which also makes it impossible to see where the tail is going.  

Bob Reed

On Sunday, March 15, 2020, 11:19:30 PM CDT, Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Hi Galin

Keep well

Mike

www.puertoricoflyer.com

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: