Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smedley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Cables Reply with quote

Hello all,I made my first post in a long time a few weeks ago, Here's my second. I'm attaching a photo of my Firestar at a field called Rainbows End in New Jersey in 1987. Lets see if it comes out.
My first question to the group. Back in the 90's there was a guy, ( in Arizona I think) that made up cables. Does anyone know if he's still around ?
Thanks,
Ed Bonsell

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Firestar_Rainbows_End_-_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  298.96 KB
 Viewed:  4073 Time(s)

Firestar_Rainbows_End_-_1.jpg

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Cables Reply with quote

I bought the crimping tool and the parts from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty, and made my own. Very easy. And I had a Firestar exactly like that one, and about the same age.

Bill Sullivan
Tarboro, NC

On Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 10:32:22 PM EST, Edward Bonsell <smedley945(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,I made my first post in a long time a few weeks ago, Here's my second. I'm attaching a photo of my Firestar at a field called Rainbows End in New Jersey in 1987. Lets see if it comes out.
My first question to the group. Back in the 90's there was a guy, ( in Arizona I think) that made up cables. Does anyone know if he's still around ?
Thanks,
Ed Bonsell

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Cables Reply with quote

I bought a lever action crimping tool that looks like a bolt cutter from Amazon/ebay (forget which). Only slightly more expensive than the screw action crimper, and *much* faster/easier to use. I bought stainless wire rope in the proper sizes from an online vendor. I copied the old cables by stretching the old ones on a flat surface & driving nails in the thimbles at each end, then copying the length on the new cable. If you have a fairly long table, a nail near one end can serve as the starting point, and a long 1x4 or 2x4 with a nail near one end can be 'telescoped' off the end of the table to stretch out the original cable, then clamped to the table to set the length. Then it's easy to adjust for different length cables.
Charlie
On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 10:46 PM william sullivan <williamtsullivan(at)att.net (williamtsullivan(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
I bought the crimping tool and the parts from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty, and made my own. Very easy. And I had a Firestar exactly like that one, and about the same age.

Bill Sullivan
Tarboro, NC

On Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 10:32:22 PM EST, Edward Bonsell <smedley945(at)gmail.com (smedley945(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

My first question to the group. Back in the 90's there was a guy, ( in Arizona I think) that made up cables. Does anyone know if he's still around ?
Thanks,
Ed Bonsell

rickofudall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Cables Reply with quote

Charlie, I used a couple of straight 2 X 6's and hinged them so they'd fit in my hangar when not in use.  I have one crimping tool I bought in 1974 that does 3/32 and 1/16 and then I bought the CGMP tool so I could do 1/8 and 5/32, too.  Pricey but they last.

Rick
PS bought a couple of checking gages, too so I'd know the were crimped right.  Found that the 5/32 jaw on the CGMP tool made really good battery cables too.
On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 9:14 AM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
I bought a lever action crimping tool that looks like a bolt cutter from Amazon/ebay (forget which). Only slightly more expensive than the screw action crimper, and *much* faster/easier to use. I bought stainless wire rope in the proper sizes from an online vendor. I copied the old cables by stretching the old ones on a flat surface & driving nails in the thimbles at each end, then copying the length on the new cable. If you have a fairly long table, a nail near one end can serve as the starting point, and a long 1x4 or 2x4 with a nail near one end can be 'telescoped' off the end of the table to stretch out the original cable, then clamped to the table to set the length. Then it's easy to adjust for different length cables.
Charlie
On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 10:46 PM william sullivan <williamtsullivan(at)att.net (williamtsullivan(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Bill Sullivan
Tarboro, NC

On Wednesday, March 4, 2020, 10:32:22 PM EST, Edward Bonsell <smedley945(at)gmail.com (smedley945(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Thanks,
Ed Bonsell

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Cables Reply with quote

'Once you go Asian...' Wink
I bought one brand new for less than $60; it came with a gauge. I checked the swaged sleeves against ones done with my neighbor's screw type Nicopress tool that cost roughly the same amount, and they did exactly the same job, according to the gauge. Looks very similar to this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DARE-2154-Splicing-Crimping-Tool-For-Nicopress-Sleeves-Taps-4-Slot/184074983455?epid=671941493&hash=item2adbb9581f%3Am%3AmykE37l7hrwB-G3lR-OZM1g&LH_ItemCondition=3

The one I bought does all sizes up to 1/8", but the vendor had a slightly larger model that would do 3/16 (and maybe 1/4) for about $10 more.

BTW, I had multiple email exchanges with ACS a couple of years ago about their sleeves. At some point in the not-too-distant past, the FAA changed their recommendation on what materials/plating to use on the various wire rope materials (galvanized, stainless, etc), and ACS missed the memo. Might be worth some research before purchasing sleeves from ACS, to be sure they actually updated their info. I ended up finding the right sleeves from another source.

Charlie

On 3/5/2020 4:34 PM, Richard Girard wrote:

Quote:
Charlie, I used a couple of straight 2 X 6's and hinged them so they'd fit in my hangar when not in use.  I have one crimping tool I bought in 1974 that does 3/32 and 1/16 and then I bought the CGMP tool so I could do 1/8 and 5/32, too.  Pricey but they last.

Rick

PS bought a couple of checking gages, too so I'd know the were crimped right.  Found that the 5/32 jaw on the CGMP tool made really good battery cables too.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 9:14 AM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Charlie

Quote:

Bill Sullivan
Tarboro, NC

Hello all, I made my first post in a long time a few weeks ago, Here's my second. I'm attaching a photo of my Firestar at a field called Rainbows End in New Jersey in 1987. Lets see if it comes out.
Thanks,
Ed Bonsell

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: