portable oscilloscope recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: portable oscilloscope recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been troubleshooting a serial port issue, & fired up the old
Telequipment scope for the 1st time in about a decade. Spent more time
bringing it out of hibernation than actually using it, and it occurred
to me that at today's prices, an el-cheapo solid state scope might make
sense to have next to the digital meters (or maybe, in place of...).

Anyone here tried any of the sub-$100 models, or even the sub-$50
versions? Obviously not looking for lab grade here, just something
mainly to detect signal presence/absence.

Thanks,

Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
wgreenley

Location: Dowagiac, MI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: portable oscilloscope recommendations? Reply with quote

I have use the pokit meter from  https://pokitmeter.com/ Multimeter, single channel scope and data logger, uses your phone as a display.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 9:00 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>

Hi,

I've been troubleshooting a serial port issue, & fired up the old
Telequipment scope for the 1st time in about a decade. Spent more time
bringing it out of hibernation than actually using it, and it occurred
to me that at today's prices, an el-cheapo solid state scope might make
sense to have next to the digital meters (or maybe, in place of...).

Anyone here tried any of the sub-$100 models, or even the sub-$50
versions? Obviously not looking for lab grade here, just something
mainly to detect signal presence/absence.

Thanks,

Charlie
===========
br> fts!)
r> > rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
art(at)zemon.name
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: portable oscilloscope recommendations? Reply with quote

Charlie,
When I was debugging a serial port issue, my son borrowed a logic analyzer from his office and we connected it via USB to his laptop. When clipped to the TX and RX pins, it was able to decode and display the ASCII characters being transmitted. Much more useful than a simple oscilloscope would have been. See if you can find one of these logic analyzers that hooks up to a laptop.
    -- Art Z.

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/Sooner meet a bereaved she-bear than a fool with his nonsense.   Proverbs 17:12

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Eric Page

Joined: 15 Feb 2017

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: portable oscilloscope recommendations? Reply with quote

If you truly just want to see the presence or absence of a signal, one of the cheap 1-channel Chinese scopes work pretty well. I have one of these...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/163807642144

...and it's surprisingly decent for basic troubleshooting away from your bench. It's low-bandwidth and probably isn't very accurate, but it works to see if there's activity or not.

If you want to decode a serial bus to see what's happening, this is a decent option at low cost:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/123355594893

Or, if you want even cheaper, there's this option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/383085783631

Eric

P.S. All three links are to the lowest cost U.S. seller. All are available cheaper from China if you want to wait a few weeks.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: portable oscilloscope recommendations? Reply with quote

Hmmm... good thought. I might consider two instruments, instead of just one. A scope would have a wider application, though.

Thanks for the idea.

Charlie

On 2/5/2020 8:34 PM, Art Zemon wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: portable oscilloscope recommendations? Reply with quote

Hmmm....I was more focused on a self contained instrument, but that path might actually be a better idea. I'll did through the site to evaluate.

Thanks!

Charlie

On 2/5/2020 8:31 PM, William Greenley wrote:

[...]

matronics(at)rtist.nl
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: portable oscilloscope recommendations? Reply with quote

That's the Rolls Royce option. Does it make sense to hunt for a logic analyzer when it will likely be sitting idle for the next decade? A simple multimeter with scope option is a lot cheaper and will get more use.

Rob

On 2/6/2020 4:32 AM, Charlie England wrote:

[...]

dj_theis

Joined: 28 Aug 2017
Location: Minnesota

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: portable oscilloscope recommendations? Reply with quote

Quote:
>Anyone here tried any of the sub-$100 models, or even the sub-$50
>versions? Obviously not looking for lab grade here, just something
>mainly to detect signal presence/absence.

A very capable hangar neighbor of mine showed me this unit that connects to a PC.
https://www.picotech.com/products/oscilloscope

The base level unit (~$80) is quite capable and can log the the waveform and continuously convert the waveform to ASCII characters. I think this is similar (or the same) as what Art Z. described.

The manufacturer offers some very high end scopes and claims to extend their quality and performance through their entire line.
I’ve not purchased one (yet) as my legacy big box scopes are still working but for convenience and added functionality I’m looking forward for an excuse to purchasing one.

Dan Theis

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

_________________
Dan Theis
Scratch building Sonex #1362
Still working on the Revmaster Alternator improvement
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: portable oscilloscope recommendations? Reply with quote

In general, I'd agree, but a toe in the web waters found that not everything has been tariffed out of existence (yet). The 1st example I found:
https://smile.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Analyzer-Ferrite-Channel-Arduino/dp/B077LSG5P2/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1A07VX9T9OILX&keywords=logic+analyzer&qid=1580995620&sprefix=ogic+anal%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTzVFVUlIUVlGWlIyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTI2NzYyMjEzSU9FVFVPUjBLVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTc0MDg3M1E5VzlKVUk4RlBZTiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

That would be less expensive than a new set of voltmeter probes. Smile And it seems to have the somewhat weird sounding advantage of *not* having batteries, since I've managed to damage several rarely used instruments by forgetting about the installed batteries.
Charlie
On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 1:20 AM Rob Turk <matronics(at)rtist.nl (matronics(at)rtist.nl)> wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: portable oscilloscope recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the link. That does look interesting, but until I get around to setting up an actual electronics bench again, my desire is for something I can easily take to the work area, like a hand-held VOM. I do have the Telequipment and also a 10 NHz Tectronics analog scope for bench work, but balancing one of them on the wing of the a/c for troubleshooting isn't fun.
Charlie
On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 7:39 AM dj_theis <djtheis58(at)gmail.com (djtheis58(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "dj_theis" <djtheis58(at)gmail.com (djtheis58(at)gmail.com)>

Quote:
>Anyone here tried any of the sub-$100 models, or even the sub-$50
>versions? Obviously not looking for lab grade here, just something
>mainly to detect signal presence/absence.

A very capable hangar neighbor of mine showed me this unit that connects to a PC.
https://www.picotech.com/products/oscilloscope

The base level unit (~$80) is quite capable and can log the the waveform and continuously convert the waveform to ASCII characters.  I think this is similar (or the same) as what Art Z. described.

The manufacturer offers some very high end scopes and claims to extend their quality and performance through their entire line.

I’ve not purchased one (yet) as my legacy big box scopes are still working but for convenience and added functionality I’m looking forward for an excuse to purchasing one.

Dan Theis

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
matronics(at)rtist.nl
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: portable oscilloscope recommendations? Reply with quote

Be careful though. This appears to be an Arduino with some software. Cute but not up to the task for real RS-232. The inputs are standard TTL and will fry if you attach RS-232 level signals to it. You'd have to add a level shifter (MAX232 or something like it), or a limiter of some sorts.

On 2/6/2020 2:42 PM, Charlie England wrote:

[...]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: portable oscilloscope recommendations? Reply with quote

Good point, but I just linked that item to show how stupid cheap decent test gear is getting. The 30V 10A fully adjustable voltage *and* current limiting supply I bought recently for ~$60 would have cost me at least $300 30 years ago, *in 1990 dollars*. It's almost like they're paying you to take the stuff.

On 2/6/2020 11:30 AM, Rob Turk wrote:

[...]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours