Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z-14 for electrically dependent engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Z-14 for electrically dependent engine Reply with quote

On 2/2/2020 9:17 AM, Krea Ellis wrote:
Quote:

Again, apologies for having to use email to post to the forum. I’ve registered and reached out to Matt a couple of times, but I still cannot log in and post directly. Most of my emails bounce back too - although it appears someone is receiving them.

Mr. Nuckolls and the others posting - thank you for your continued input on the work we are all attempting for a safe implementation of a redundant and/or reliable electrical system for our electrically dependent engines.

I really appreciate the lack of comments like “just install magnetos or pMags and mechanical fuel injection” somewhat common on other forums.

Here are a couple of points and questions that may have been covered, but I would like to reiterate.

1. At least with SDS on the 6 cylinder installations, providing independent power sources to the fuel pumps, coil packs and ECU’s is very straightforward using the Z-14 architecture. Confirmation of proper operation of each component prior to flight is also easily carried out.
2. As there is no redundancy with the fuel injectors and since they are powered by the airframe, independent, redundant power is more difficult and/or complex. Loss of an injector (or bank of injectors) is easily determined at any time, but difficult to remedy during flight. Good news is that the injectors are very reliable (assuming competent installation).
3. A dual bus fed diode protected engine or injector bus violates the very “pure” separation that exists in Z-14, but as of right now - there are no dual power source alternatives of which I am aware. I am using the term “power source” as a single battery and alternator fed bus.
4. A single bus could be utilized for all injectors, but would provide no alternative in the event of a loss of that one main bus. This would be the simplest approach I believe, but provides less redundancy. Also less potential failure points, but which bus of the two available do you use?

I am working with the folks at SDS on a scheme for providing a passive power path to the injectors with each bank being fed independently and alternate paths (using a more complex arrangement) to switch all injectors to one bus or the other if needed due to the loss of one bus or the other. The downside of this approach will clearly be additional components that will have failure points. The counter to that these components will likely be very similar to those already used and tested by SDS for the injector signal paths. Loss of signal (ground) paths or loss of power is equally problematic in any SDS type installation.

More info to come hopefully later this week from SDS and I continue to lose sleep over this issue. Probably overthinking this and as I have to remind myself - we are not building Part 25 Transport Category Airplanes.

Thank you!

Krea Ellis
Hi Krea,

1st, I have *always* used email for this list/forum. When it started,
there was no forum format; it was purely email exchanges with an archive
of the emails. I realize that it isn't exactly '21st century', but it
can have the advantage of being able to retain a record of important
emails on members' local systems. So if you can post via email, roll
with it.

On your concerns about various engine bus redundancies: FWIW, when I
struggled with designing my alt engine stuff and ran into a seemingly
insurmountable issue/conflict, I eventually would come back to looking
at what's been done for decades in 'traditional' engine systems. I came
to realize that there is a single fuel delivery system, and while there
is a backup fuel pump, almost all traditional installations have failure
modes where *either* pump could fail the entire fuel delivery system.
Only the ignition system is truly redundant (and with the old 'dual mag'
modules, even that can be doubtful).

I finally realized that with reasonable 'best practices' when installing
the engine bus (which is simply a ATC fuse block), there just isn't
anything that can cause the bus itself, in its entirety, to fail. The
only thing that could bring down the entire bus would be the supply to
the bus. A 2nd source of power to the bus remedies that issue. If the
single 10-32 stud feeding the bus is a real concern, the most common ATC
fuse bus is relatively easy to modify to add a 2nd 10-32 stud at the
other end of the bus.

With all my engine 'stuff' on one engine bus, backup is now down to
flipping one, or at most two, switches. Whenever I'm pondering
multi-step, multi-layer troubleshooting in the air, I try to remember
the highly trained multi-person airline crew that flew an airliner into
the ground while running through checklists and flipping breakers. The
biggest thing that bothers me about my alt engine installation is the
more complex switchology and significant operational differences from
the systems I (and everyone else) have spent decades flying.

You're not going to be comfortable with your system until you're
comfortable with it. But it might be worth stepping back and looking
'big picture' for a bit. Checking every detail should happen, but
sometimes our initial premise may need re-evaluation. There are one or
two of my basic premises I'm currently rethinking a bit....

Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Z-14 for electrically dependent engine Reply with quote

Quote:

3. A dual bus fed diode protected engine or injector bus violates the very “pure” separation that exists in Z-14, but as of right now - there are no dual power source alternatives of which I am aware. I am using the term “power source” as a single battery and alternator fed bus.
4. A single bus could be utilized for all injectors, but would provide no alternative in the event of a loss of that one main bus.

How would that happen? EVERY branch feeder in Z-14
is QUAD sourced until some component fails in flight
(an exceedingly rare event). Two distribution
busses (main and aux) remain at least DUAL sourced
and sometimes TRIPLE sourced depending on nature of failure.

Complete loss of power on either bus just doesn't
happen . . . Z-12 (revised) is another solid
option where a single bus is TRIPLE fed and no
less than DUAL fed after loss of a single
component.

Quote:
This would be the simplest approach I believe, but provides less redundancy. Also less potential failure points, but which bus of the two available do you use?

take your pick . . . it doesn't matter.

Quote:
I am working with the folks at SDS on a scheme for providing a passive power path to the injectors with each bank being fed independently and alternate paths (using a more complex arrangement) to switch all injectors to one bus or the other if needed due to the loss of one bus or the other.The downside of this approach will clearly be additional components that will have failure points. The counter to that these components will likely be very similar to those already used and tested by SDS for the injector signal paths. Loss of signal (ground) paths or loss of power is equally problematic in any SDS type installation.

More info to come hopefully later this week from SDS and I continue to lose sleep over this issue. Probably overthinking this and as I have to remind myself - we are not building Part 25 Transport Category Airplanes.

Can you suggest that SDS contact me with a
goal of collaborating on a unified approach
to minimizing risks?

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Z-14 for electrically dependent engine Reply with quote

Quote:

1st, I have *always* used email for this list/forum. When it started, there was no forum format; it was purely email exchanges with an archive of the emails. I realize that it isn't exactly '21st century', but it can have the advantage of being able to retain a record of important emails on members' local systems. So if you can post via email, roll with it.

I have always used the email portal except when
participating away from the office . . . perhaps
on a computer not belonging to me.

Threads are seamless, locally archived and easy
to trim. I have copies of threads going back about
15 years that are easily searched for content.

Bob . . .

Randy C-GRPY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-14 for electrically dependent engine Reply with quote

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
Quote:

4. A single bus could be utilized for all injectors, but would provide no alternative in the event of a loss of that one main bus.

How would that happen? EVERY branch feeder in Z-14
is QUAD sourced until some component fails in flight
(an exceedingly rare event). Two distribution
busses (main and aux) remain at least DUAL sourced
and sometimes TRIPLE sourced depending on nature of failure.

Complete loss of power on either bus just doesn't
happen . . . Z-12 (revised) is another solid
option where a single bus is TRIPLE fed and no
less than DUAL fed after loss of a single
component.

Quote:
This would be the simplest approach I believe, but provides less redundancy. Also less potential failure points, but which bus of the two available do you use?

take your pick . . . it doesn't matter.

Quote:
I am working with the folks at SDS on a scheme for providing a passive power path to the injectors with each bank being fed independently and alternate paths (using a more complex arrangement) to switch all injectors to one bus or the other if needed due to the loss of one bus or the other.The downside of this approach will clearly be additional components that will have failure points. The counter to that these components will likely be very similar to those already used and tested by SDS for the injector signal paths. Loss of signal (ground) paths or loss of power is equally problematic in any SDS type installation.

Can you suggest that SDS contact me with a
goal of collaborating on a unified approach
to minimizing risks?

Bob . . .

I emailed Ross with your generous offer Bob.

Randy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Z-14 for electrically dependent engine Reply with quote

Quote:
I am working with the folks at SDS on a scheme for providing a passive power path to the injectors with each bank being fed independently and alternate paths (using a more complex arrangement) to switch all injectors to one bus or the other if needed due to the loss of one bus or the other.

Poked around on the SDS website for a few minutes and
found this:

Disadvantages of SDS vs. Conventional
Aircraft Engine Systems
The big disadvantage of EFI compared to a carb or mechanical
injection and magnetos is that electrical power is required for
the pump, computer, ignition and injectors. The likelihood of
both the alternator and battery failing simultaneously is
practically zero with standard aircraft maintenance procedures.
Generally, a good battery will allow you to keep essentials powered
for 20-90 minutes after an alternator failure permitting diversion
to another airport. We consider proper gauges and/or warning
lights to indicate an alternator failure to be very important.
We have an ammeter, voltmeter, low voltage warning light and
buzzer now on our RV6A and also added a backup battery in Feb. 2005.

[img]cid:.0[/img][/i][/b]

I don't see anything that argues with the ideas
and architecture philosophies we've been discussing
here over the last week or so.

Their assertions as to component reliability combined
with the block diagram above illustrating everything
running from a 'reliable' bus confirms their
confidence in what's been recommended here on the
List in terms of insuring a supply of DC power.

I think the drawing above could
be 'cleaned up' a tad and may have an error
about the injector selector switch wiring . . .
but I think the spirit and intent of the
SDS is clear and raises no flags at this
time. It also confirms my suggestion that
running the entire SDS system from either
main or aux bus of Z-14 or the main bus
of Z-12 offers a level of redundancy
I think I could sell onto a TC aircraft.

I'm getting ready to hit the asphalt on a trip
to visit family in Cincinatti so I'll be off-line
until Sunday.

Bob . . .

4105cb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.89 KB
 Viewed:  4770 Time(s)

4105cb.jpg

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Z-14 for electrically dependent engine Reply with quote

On 2/4/2020 3:25 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
I am working with the folks at SDS on a scheme for providing a passive power path to the injectors with each bank being fed independently and alternate paths (using a more complex arrangement) to switch all injectors to one bus or the other if needed due to the loss of one bus or the other.

Poked around on the SDS website for a few minutes and
found this:

Disadvantages of SDS vs. Conventional
Aircraft Engine Systems
The big disadvantage of EFI compared to a carb or mechanical
injection and magnetos is that electrical power is required for
the pump, computer, ignition and injectors. The likelihood of
both the alternator and battery failing simultaneously is
practically zero with standard aircraft maintenance procedures.
Generally, a good battery will allow you to keep essentials powered
for 20-90 minutes after an alternator failure permitting diversion
to another airport. We consider proper gauges and/or warning
lights to indicate an alternator failure to be very important.
We have an ammeter, voltmeter, low voltage warning light and
buzzer now on our RV6A and also added a backup battery in Feb. 2005.

[img]cid:part1.957EE1DE.10DEB7F4(at)gmail.com[/img]

I don't see anything that argues with the ideas
and architecture philosophies we've been discussing
here over the last week or so.

Their assertions as to component reliability combined
with the block diagram above illustrating everything
running from a 'reliable' bus confirms their
confidence in what's been recommended here on the
List in terms of insuring a supply of DC power.

I think the drawing above could
be 'cleaned up' a tad and may have an error
about the injector selector switch wiring . . .
but I think the spirit and intent of the
SDS is clear and raises no flags at this
time. It also confirms my suggestion that

I'm getting ready to hit the asphalt on a trip
to visit family in Cincinatti so I'll be off-line
until Sunday.

Bob . . .
To (possibly over-) emphasize, quoting from above:

It also confirms my suggestion that

The injector control scheme, and the fact that the injectors are not redundant (two injectors per cylinder) seems to be what is creating the heartburn. I think I've been saying something similar; all engine stuff on one bus, with controllable redundant sources of power. It is, after all, what SDS recommends.

Charlie

4105cb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.89 KB
 Viewed:  4770 Time(s)

4105cb.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Z-14 for electrically dependent engine Reply with quote

Quote:

The injector control scheme, and the fact that the injectors are not redundant (two injectors per cylinder) seems to be what is creating the heartburn. I think I've been saying something similar; all engine stuff on one bus, with controllable redundant sources of power. It is, after all, what SDS recommends.

Agreed. No 'enhancements' are recommended
or useful.

Bob . . .

adamb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-14 for electrically dependent engine Reply with quote

Quote:

Agreed. No 'enhancements' are recommended
or useful.

Bob . . .

So suppose there's smoke in the cockpit, not sure where it's coming from. A trained response is to shut off the master (both masters in the case of Z14). If the SDS stuff is on either the main or Aux busses and the masters are switched off, the engine shuts off...

I'd rather the SDS components be on the battery busses to prevent this.
This is the primary reason for my plan to power the ECUs, Fuel pumps, and Coils from their respective battery busses (there are 2 of each so one is fed from main battery bus and the other from aux battery bus). And provide a diode OR'ed Injector bus from the battery busses to power the injectors.
Others have taken the approach of feeding all components off of a "Engine bus" redundantly powered from battery busses.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm very uncomfortable not being able to shut off the master switches and keep the engine running.

Adam

user9253

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Z-14 for electrically dependent engine Reply with quote

I agree with you Adam. The pilot should be able to shut off all sources of
electrical power at the source. Putting relays (independent of the battery
contactor) between the batteries and engine bus accomplishes that. In case
of smoke in the cockpit, most pilots would shut off the master switch first,
expecting the engine to keep running. If the smoke gets bad enough, then
electrical power to the engine bus can be shut off along with the fuel valve.

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Z-14 for electrically dependent engine Reply with quote

On 2/4/2020 6:57 PM, adamb wrote:
Quote:

>> The injector control scheme, and the fact that the injectors are not redundant (two injectors per cylinder) seems to be what is creating the heartburn. I think I've been saying something similar; all engine stuff on one bus, with controllable redundant sources of power. It is, after all, what SDS recommends.
> Agreed. No 'enhancements' are recommended
> or useful.
>
>
> Bob . . .

So suppose there's smoke in the cockpit, not sure where it's coming from. A trained response is to shut off the master (both masters in the case of Z14). If the SDS stuff is on either the main or Aux busses and the masters are switched off, the engine shuts off...

I'd rather the SDS components be on the battery busses to prevent this.
This is the primary reason for my plan to power the ECUs, Fuel pumps, and Coils from their respective battery busses (there are 2 of each so one is fed from main battery bus and the other from aux battery bus). And provide a diode OR'ed Injector bus from the battery busses to power the injectors.
Others have taken the approach of feeding all components off of a "Engine bus" redundantly powered from battery busses.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm very uncomfortable not being able to shut off the master switches and keep the engine running.

Adam
That's what I did, though my system is dual alt/single battery. Engine

(all of it) is on one switched 'hot' bus, that can also be fed from the
main a/c bus. Smoke emergency would be just like a traditional
installation; master off & the motor keeps turning.

Charlie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: