Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protecting the fat wires
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy C-GRPY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

Hello all! This is my first time posting on this list so I'd like to introduce myself and say hello. I also have a question that I posted on Facebook. It was suggested that I post the query here.

How do you determine which fat wires need circuit protection of some sort? All of the branch circuits off of a bus get a fuse or a breaker, but what about the wires feeding the busses from the contactors? Mr. Nuckolls’ diagrams sometimes have protection for the larger wires but most often not. I read Aeroelectric Connection in the past and I think that he addressed this but I can’t find it. Ausman’s book also only talks specifically about protecting branch circuits. Can anybody school me on this?

Somebody pointed out, and I do remember reading, that the fat wires will ground to airframe and burn a hole rather than burning the wire itself. It seems to me that the airframe is the fuse. Why not just use an ANL?

Thanks
Randy

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Randy C-GRPY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

This is my schematic based on Z-14 adapted for SDS with VPX. I'm looking for guidance on protecting the fat wires and any other suggestions on improvements or noted deficiencies.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

C-GRPY Main Power.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  C-GRPY Main Power.pdf
 Filesize:  277.66 KB
 Downloaded:  301 Time(s)

user9253

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

Is the electrical system safer or less safe with the fat wire protected with an
ANL fuse? Count the ways that fuse can fail. There are two crimps that
connect the ring terminals to fat wires. There are two bolts that connect the
ring terminals to the fuse. The fuse itself can blow. And there are exposed
terminals that can short to ground. So installing an ANL fuse creates about 6
more possible failure modes. Why not just install the fat wire properly so
that it is highly unlikely that it will short out?
Use fuses instead of a VPX.

user9253

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

The ANL fuse on the downstream side of the aux contactor could blow if the aux battery is used to crank the engine.

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

On 1/31/2020 12:36 PM, Randy C-GRPY wrote:
Quote:

Hello all! This is my first time posting on this list so I'd like to introduce myself and say hello. I also have a question that I posted on Facebook. It was suggested that I post the query here.

How do you determine which fat wires need circuit protection of some sort? All of the branch circuits off of a bus get a fuse or a breaker, but what about the wires feeding the busses from the contactors? Mr. Nuckolls’ diagrams sometimes have protection for the larger wires but most often not. I read Aeroelectric Connection in the past and I think that he addressed this but I can’t find it. Ausman’s book also only talks specifically about protecting branch circuits. Can anybody school me on this?

Somebody pointed out, and I do remember reading, that the fat wires will ground to airframe and burn a hole rather than burning the wire itself. It seems to me that the airframe is the fuse. Why not just use an ANL?

Thanks
Randy

As Joe pointed out, you're adding multiple failure points. It's worth

mentioning that it's everyday practice for the primary power feeder to
be protected only by the master contactor, which is (should be) next to
the battery. Tens of thousands of cert. a/c are built that way. Just
about all other wires do have some type of circuit protection.

I tend to agree with Joe about electronic distribution gadgets. The
convenience looks attractive, but some of them have failure modes that
can take the whole plane 'dark', and I'm not aware of any that publish
every detail of their 'innards'. That means you don't know what you
don't know. With a radio or other widget that's a 'black box', you can
install a backup, but making an electronic power distribution system
redundant would be a monumental task.

Charlie

Randy C-GRPY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

user9253 wrote:
The ANL fuse on the downstream side of the aux contactor could blow if the aux battery is used to crank the engine.

Ahhhh.....good point.

The contactors are going to be next to the batteries. With one battery in the tail there would be a large wire running to the firewall. What I am understanding from you is that that wire is protected by the contactor and no further fusing is required.

How about the hot wires from the unswitched side of the contactors feeding the engine bus? Would you protect that close to the battery?

I appreciate your input.
Randy

Randy C-GRPY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

ceengland7(at)gmail.com wrote:
On 1/31/2020 12:36 PM, Randy C-GRPY wrote:
Quote:

ThanksHello all! This is my first time posting on this list so I'd like to introduce myself and say hello. I also have a question that I posted on Facebook. It was suggested that I post the query here.

Randy

As Joe pointed out, you're adding multiple failure points. It's worth

I tend to agree with Joe about electronic distribution gadgets. The
convenience looks attractive, but some of them have failure modes that
can take the whole plane 'dark', and I'm not aware of any that publish
every detail of their 'innards'. That means you don't know what you
don't know. With a radio or other widget that's a 'black box', you can
install a backup, but making an electronic power distribution system
redundant would be a monumental task.

Charlie

I appreciate your input.

The VPX has a pretty good history so far and it serves as more than just a circuit breaker. I personally like it and it seems like a lot of users are choosing it these days. I will rethink it though. If it were to go offline, say by turning the master off, my backup is one switch that will switch to an essential bus that served by the backup alternator. At least that is what I was hoping for with the layout I designed. My panel does have a G5 with its own backup battery that will stay on even if Master and Aux power is turned off.

johnbright

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

Fat wire burns thru elevator cable... one of Bob Nuckols' stories:

"Bottom line is that you're many, many times more likely to have a bad day in the cockpit for reasons far removed from a hard ground fault on your 6AWG bus feeder wire. . . and THAT because you didn't conduct due diligence in its installation.

In the case of the bus feeder, the risks are not so much to the wire as to the thing the wire touches.

Case in point: C90 twin turboprop on short final experiences disconnect of elevator cables. Pilot uses trim commands and power to execute go-around, assesses the condition and successfully lands the airplane with rudder, trim and power.

Pulling up floorboards in the cockpit revealed a 40A protected feeder to the windshield de-ice inverter had been mis-positioned against the elevator control cable during a maintenance operation. Over what had to be many hours of operation, motion of the cable wore through the insulation bringing the cable into contact with the hot wire. The arcing and sparking was of insufficient intensity to come to attention of crew in spite of the fact that it was going on virtually under their feet.

The copper wire was barely damaged. The breaker never popped while the elevator cable eventually eroded through and parted. Compare thermal properties of copper versus steel . . . this explains why the best steel safes have intermediate layers of copper in their construction. It's EASY to burn through steel . . . next to impossible on copper.

This narrative explains the high order probability that even if you DID get your 6AWG feeder faulted to ground, it's most likely to be a soft fault that burns a hole in your airplane while doing little damage to the wire . . . and certainly far short of getting it to smoke and/or open a fuse/breaker.

Adding 'protection' to this pathway doubles the number of joints in the pathway and adds nothing demonstrable in terms of fault response . . . which is why the spam-can builders don't do it either.

... Bob Nuckolls ..."

N1921R links
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

On 1/31/2020 4:03 PM, Randy C-GRPY wrote:
Quote:

user9253 wrote:
> The ANL fuse on the downstream side of the aux contactor could blow if the aux battery is used to crank the engine.

Ahhhh.....good point.

The contactors are going to be next to the batteries. With one battery in the tail there would be a large wire running to the firewall. What I am understanding from you is that that wire is protected by the contactor and no further fusing is required.

How about the hot wires from the unswitched side of the contactors feeding the engine bus? Would you protect that close to the battery?

I appreciate your input.
Randy
My choice is to use a fuselink soldered & heatshrunk onto the battery

end of the wire feeding the engine bus. Fuselinks have been quite common
in the automotive world to protect things like alternator B leads. An
ANL would achieve the same thing, for more money & extra failure points.
Protecting the wire makes good sense; I just wanted the minimum risk of
a 'false positive' circuit interruption.

Charlie

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

At 12:36 PM 1/31/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Randy C-GRPY" <rpulis(at)shaw.ca>

Welcome aboard my friend. This is the intellectual
watering hole for a useful contingent of experienced
and contemplative thinkers.

Quote:
How do you determine which fat wires need circuit protection of some sort? All of the branch circuits off of a bus get a fuse or a breaker, but what about the wires feeding the busses from the contactors? Mr. Nuckolls’ diagrams sometimes have protection for the larger wires but most often not.

I think you're referring to b-lead protection
on alternators . . . this is in recognition of
solid state devices (rectifiers) in alternators
with a known history of faults albeit a very
old one. It's now a exceedingly rate occurrence.
Some cars have fusible links in their alternator
b-leads. I think my Kia mini-van has several
mani-ANL limiters in the battery feeders. But
as a general rule, you're on solid ground with
the z-figures . . . all descendants of a century
of practice in TC aircraft and 30 years
experience here on the List.

Quote:
I read Aeroelectric Connection in the past and I think that he addressed this but I can’t find it. Ausman’s book also only talks specifically about protecting branch circuits. Can anybody school me on this?

It simply adds parts count and cost that affords no
practical value. A quick review of the power distribution
on a couple hundred thousand TC light aircraft will confirm
this design philosophy.

You can add all the ANL devices that you wish, operationally
they will add no risk beyond increased probability of
failure due to un-warranted complexity.

Bob . . .

Randy C-GRPY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. This simplifies things a lot with respect to wiring my aircraft.

What I am understanding is that any of the fat wires, properly sized and installed on the switched side of the contactor feeding the busses will have an exceedingly low likelihood of causing problems and don't need any further protection.

What about the fat wires coming directly from the battery to feed an always hot bus? (The schematic is above) I have such wires for my fuel/ignition system from two batteries. Does the same principle apply of sizing and installing the wire appropriately as being good in and of itself or should those be fused close to the battery?

Thanks!
Randy

Randy C-GRPY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

On 1/31/2020 4:03 PM, Randy C-GRPY wrote:
Quote:

user9253 wrote:
> The ANL fuse on the downstream side of the aux contactor could blow if the aux battery is used to crank the engine.

Ahhhh.....good point.

I'm grateful for your input.
Randy

I appreciate your input.
Randy
My choice is to use a fuselink soldered & heatshrunk onto the battery

end of the wire feeding the engine bus. Fuselinks have been quite common
in the automotive world to protect things like alternator B leads. An
ANL would achieve the same thing, for more money & extra failure points.
Protecting the wire makes good sense; I just wanted the minimum risk of
a 'false positive' circuit interruption.

Charlie

Initially I had those wires going to a breaker which I think would essentially accomplish what you suggest. I liked the idea of actually seeing that there is a problem by witnessing the tripped breaker. A fellow builder who is also an electrical engineer pointed out that if a short occurred somewhere between the breaker and battery in that setup, that there would be no way of turning off the electrons. There are a lot of examples in Bob's diagrams where those hot wires are * as "6 in or less" presumably to guard against just such a scenario. Does that not apply to the long runs supplying the bus which are much much longer than 6"?

I guess you could put the fusible link at the beginning of that run. Will fusible links have the predictable behaviour characteristics that a similarly fuse would have?

I'm grateful for your input

Randy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

At 10:22 AM 2/1/2020, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Randy C-GRPY" <rpulis(at)shaw.ca>

Thanks Bob. This simplifies things a lot with respect to wiring my aircraft.

What I am understanding is that any of the fat wires, properly sized and installed on the switched side of the contactor feeding the busses will have an exceedingly low likelihood of causing problems and don't need any further protection.

Exactly . . .

Quote:
What about the fat wires coming directly from the battery to feed an always hot bus? (The schematic is above) I have such wires for my fuel/ignition system from two batteries. Does the same principle apply of sizing and installing the wire appropriately as being good in and of itself or should those be fused close to the battery?
The z-figures mark such feeders
with an (*) meaning 6" or less . . .
or at least as short as practical.

There is nothing wrong with having
battery bus fuse blocks located
adjacent to battery contactors.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

Quote:

Initially I had those wires going to a breaker which I think would essentially accomplish what you suggest. I liked the idea of actually seeing that there is a problem by witnessing the tripped breaker.

But what would be your FIRST clue? What
event would prompt you to scan the breaker
panel?

Quote:
A fellow builder who is also an electrical engineer pointed out that if a short occurred somewhere between the breaker and battery in that setup, that there would be no way of turning off the electrons. There are a lot of examples in Bob's diagrams where those hot wires are * as "6 in or less" presumably to guard against just such a scenario. Does that not apply to the long runs supplying the bus which are much much longer than 6"?

FAT wires capable of many hundreds of
amps are (1) few in number and (2)
installed with special attention to
low risk for mechanical damage. Less-
than-fat feeders to battery busses are
recommended compliant with design goal (2) by
keeping them short.

Bob . . .

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

On 2/1/2020 10:33 AM, Randy C-GRPY wrote:
Quote:

> On 1/31/2020 4:03 PM, Randy C-GRPY wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>
>> user9253 wrote:
>>> The ANL fuse on the downstream side of the aux contactor could blow if the aux battery is used to crank the engine.
>> Ahhhh.....good point.
>>
>> The contactors are going to be next to the batteries. With one battery in the tail there would be a large wire running to the firewall. What I am understanding from you is that that wire is protected by the contactor and no further fusing is required.
>>
>> How about the hot wires from the unswitched side of the contactors feeding the engine bus? Would you protect that close to the battery?
>>
>> I appreciate your input.
>> Randy
>> My choice is to use a fuselink soldered & heatshrunk onto the battery
>>
> end of the wire feeding the engine bus. Fuselinks have been quite common
> in the automotive world to protect things like alternator B leads. An
> ANL would achieve the same thing, for more money & extra failure points.
> Protecting the wire makes good sense; I just wanted the minimum risk of
> a 'false positive' circuit interruption.
>
> Charlie

Initially I had those wires going to a breaker which I think would essentially accomplish what you suggest. I liked the idea of actually seeing that there is a problem by witnessing the tripped breaker. A fellow builder who is also an electrical engineer pointed out that if a short occurred somewhere between the breaker and battery in that setup, that there would be no way of turning off the electrons. There are a lot of examples in Bob's diagrams where those hot wires are * as "6 in or less" presumably to guard against just such a scenario. Does that not apply to the long runs supplying the bus which are much much longer than 6"?

My understanding of the '6" rule' (like the battery bus, etc) is that

we're keeping the unprotected section of wire quite short, and enduring
that it's in a protected area where it can't be inadvertently brought
into contact with structure or objects that can short out the terminals.
By doing this, we're driving the risk of having a problem with that
unprotected wire to near zero. All wires leaving the bus would be
protected by fuses/breakers.

I'd say that your engineer friend's thoughts were correct. The
conventional alternative would be to place the bus near the battery (6"
rule) and make fused runs to each switch from that bus. My choice for
the engine bus was to mimic the the alternator B lead protection: I
placed a fuse link (you could use an ANL, if desired) at the battery end
of the wire that supplies power to the main ignition switch and
subsequently to the engine bus. The time constant of fuse links & ANLs
are so long that unlike a regular fuse, short-term current spikes from
bringing the bus on line should never fatigue the protection into
failure. The feeder is still protected from catastrophic fault.

My choice exceeds the fairly common practice of limiting always-hot
feeds to around 3 amps. But the feed is only around 30" long, and the
idea is not unprecedented;  many older certified a/c (with smaller
electrical systems) had under-seat or baggage compartment batteries with
an always-hot feeder all the way to the instrument panel mounted high
current master switch (no contactor at the battery).

Charlie

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

Mount 40 amp automotive relays (B&C S8009-1) within 3" of battery positive
posts. Connect 14 AWG between battery positive and relay. This 14 AWG
wire will serve as a fuselink. No fuses needed. Connect the relay output to
the engine bus with 10 AWG. Diodes could be installed per your diagram, but
they are not required. The pilot can control which battery is connected to the
engine bus by turning on one or both relays.

Randy C-GRPY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect wrote:
Quote:

Initially I had those wires going to a breaker which I think would essentially accomplish what you suggest. I liked the idea of actually seeing that there is a problem by witnessing the tripped breaker.

But what would be your FIRST clue? What
event would prompt you to scan the breaker
panel?

Quote:
A fellow builder who is also an electrical engineer pointed out that if a short occurred somewhere between the breaker and battery in that setup, that there would be no way of turning off the electrons. There are a lot of examples in Bob's diagrams where those hot wires are * as "6 in or less" presumably to guard against just such a scenario. Does that not apply to the long runs supplying the bus which are much much longer than 6"?

FAT wires capable of many hundreds of
amps are (1) few in number and (2)
installed with special attention to
low risk for mechanical damage. Less-
than-fat feeders to battery busses are
recommended compliant with design goal (2) by
keeping them short.

Bob . . .

There may not be a clue while in flight other than perhaps periodically scanning the breaker and seeing it popped. It would definitely be obvious during the preflight checklist if done correctly.

Ok. I understand the difference between overweight wire (14AWG) and morbidly obese wire (#2 AWG) and that each has different needs.

If it weren't practical to have the always battery bus immediately adjacent to the battery, is a fusible link or an inline fuse acceptable? Or alternatively, just use the fatter wire?

Randy

Last edited by Randy C-GRPY on Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy C-GRPY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

user9253 wrote:

The diodes were suggested by an electrical engineer and fellow builder to mitigate a risk of high current flowing between the batteries if both feeds were on simultaneously and there for some reason was a significant difference in voltage state between the two batteries. My understanding was that this could result in high current flow and cause problems with the fuses that I initially had on those lines, but am now going to omit based on the previous discussion.

Thanks for the info and the ideas! They are valued.

Randy

user9253

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

There could be low current between two batteries connected in parallel, but high current is very unlikely.

Randy C-GRPY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Protecting the fat wires Reply with quote

user9253 wrote:

Joe, would a contactor within 3” of the battery also be an option? Why the automotive relay?

Randy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: