Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External socket to charge the airplane batteries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: External socket to charge the airplane batteries Reply with quote

On 1/19/2020 12:46 PM, Carlos Trigo wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
Guys

In my RV-10 both batteries (main Batt - Odissey PC-925, and Aux Batt - Odissey PC-680) are in the back, inside the tail cone, behind the baggage compartment.
This is a difficult place to reach, in the completed airplane, to connect the clamps of a battery charger/maintainer.

Therefore I am going to install an external socket like this

Quote:

in the airplane skin, to be easy to connect the charger from the outside.

I am thinking in connecting both batteries to this socket through a SPDT switch, to be able to select which battery to be charged.

Now the questions:
1 - which is the current flowing through this socket when charging?
2 - consequently, which gauge of wires should be used (#1Cool?
3 - should I use any fuse in this circuit? If yes, which A?
4 - is there any possibility to charge both batteries at the same time? If yes, which is the smart way to achieve that?

Thanks in advance
Carlos

Charge current will be determined by the state of discharge of the battery, and limited by the capacity of the charger. A depleted battery connected to a 12A charger could easily draw the entire 12A available from the charger. Hook it to a 50A charger and....

Wire gauge should be determined by the voltage drop and heat rise you're willing to tolerate, within the limits of the wire/insulation.

I'd treat fusing the same way the alternator B lead is treated: size the wire for the max charger size, and fuse at the battery end to protect it from the battery.

Don't forget the risk of someone attempting to jump-start the plane using that connector. Your call on how you avoid that risk.

Switches/relays could connect both batteries for charging, but realistically, how often will you need to do that? A healthy SLA battery retains over 90% of its energy for many months without any charging whatsoever. You can learn a lot about (lack of) bench charging needs by reading Odyssey's technical docs.

Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: