Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS rx over-population

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Lamphere

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: GPS rx over-population Reply with quote

It seems like every time you turn around, you need GPS location input to make something work.
First it was for moving map EFIS - OK - had a small hockey puck blu-tooth GPS receiver - worked great.

Then ADSB comes along - need a WAAS GPS. Went the uAvionix SKYFYX-EXT/echoUAT route. Was actually able to get the GPS info off of the WIFI the echoUAT setup. Runs the adsb AND the Foreflight app running on the iPad.

Sweet.

This year I hope to finish the build on the Wittman Buttercup I have been building. Because of where I fly, it will have adsb plus a new 406Mhz ELT - which is supposed to have GPS position input!

I’m not familiar with RS232 usage (that’s used between the uAvionix GPS receiver and the echoUAT) but it would be nice to share/use that data-stream instead of adding yet another GPS receiver.

Is that possible? What about tapping into the WIFI GPS position data being generated by the echoUAT?
I know, I’m probably way out to lunch on this - but it seems there ought to be a better way.

What say you?

Dave Lamphere
Wittman Tailwind N365DL
Wittman Buttercup N365ED

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
art(at)zemon.name

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: GPS rx over-population Reply with quote

Dave,
I am pretty sure that the ELTs all want GPS input via an RS-232 line, not WiFi. (Except for the few ELTs that have internal GPS receivers.)
In my plane, I just spliced into the RS-232 line running from the GPS to the transponder (GPS TX pin to the transponder RX pin). I ran that line to the ELT RX pin. 
As a computer guy, who always thought of RS-232 as bi-directional communication, this seemed weird. I had to wrap my head around the notion that RS-232 is being used to broadcast information (kind of like an FM radio station) so it works just fine to hook one device's TX pin to the RX pins on several devices.
    -- Art Z.
On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:11 AM David and Elaine Lamphere <dalamphere(at)comcast.net (dalamphere(at)comcast.net)> wrote:

Quote:
This year I hope to finish the build on the Wittman Buttercup I have been building. Because of where I fly, it will have adsb plus a new 406Mhz ELT - which is supposed to have GPS position input!

I’m not familiar with RS232 usage (that’s used between the uAvionix GPS receiver and the echoUAT) but it would be nice to share/use that data-stream instead of adding yet another GPS receiver.

Is that possible? What about tapping into the WIFI GPS position data being generated by the echoUAT?
I know, I’m probably way out to lunch on this - but it seems there ought to be a better way.

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/Love the stranger for you yourselves were strangers in Egypt. Deut. 10:19

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: GPS rx over-population Reply with quote

As Art says, you should be able to send the position data from the SkyFX-EXT to both the echo UAT and the ELT by splicing into the GY wire. Check your ELT to make sure it will take NMEA protocol and 115200 baud input.

Of course, the cheapest and easiest solution is not to have GPS position going to your ELT. Seems silly to have that capability and not use it but I've seen lots of installs done this way.
On Mon, Jan 6, 2020, 05:43 Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)> wrote:

Quote:
Dave,
I am pretty sure that the ELTs all want GPS input via an RS-232 line, not WiFi. (Except for the few ELTs that have internal GPS receivers.)
In my plane, I just spliced into the RS-232 line running from the GPS to the transponder (GPS TX pin to the transponder RX pin). I ran that line to the ELT RX pin. 
As a computer guy, who always thought of RS-232 as bi-directional communication, this seemed weird. I had to wrap my head around the notion that RS-232 is being used to broadcast information (kind of like an FM radio station) so it works just fine to hook one device's TX pin to the RX pins on several devices.
    -- Art Z.
On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:11 AM David and Elaine Lamphere <dalamphere(at)comcast.net (dalamphere(at)comcast.net)> wrote:

Quote:

--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/Love the stranger for you yourselves were strangers in Egypt. Deut. 10:19

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: GPS rx over-population Reply with quote

Interesting note on what Sebastien said. I didn't have a GPS signal going to my ELT. When I had the off field landing, the ELT reported the last GPS location that it had received. . . about 40 miles from where I was.

On Monday, January 6, 2020, 12:44:32 PM EST, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com> wrote:

As Art says, you should be able to send the position data from the SkyFX-EXT to both the echo UAT and the ELT by splicing into the GY wire. Check your ELT to make sure it will take NMEA protocol and 115200 baud input.
Of course, the cheapest and easiest solution is not to have GPS position going to your ELT. Seems silly to have that capability and not use it but I've seen lots of installs done this way.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020, 05:43 Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name (art(at)zemon.name)> wrote:
Quote:
Dave,

-- Art Z.

Quote:
This year I hope to finish the build on the Wittman Buttercup I have been building. Because of where I fly, it will have adsb plus a new 406Mhz ELT - which is supposed to have GPS position input! I’m not familiar with RS232 usage (that’s used between the uAvionix GPS receiver and the echoUAT) but it would be nice to share/use that data-stream instead of adding yet another GPS receiver. Is that possible? What about tapping into the WIFI GPS position data being generated by the echoUAT? I know, I’m probably way out to lunch on this - but it seems there ought to be a better way.

-- https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/Love the stranger for you yourselves were strangers in Egypt. Deut. 10:19

cluros(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: GPS rx over-population Reply with quote

Wow. I had no idea that was possible. What make ELT please?

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020, 09:59 Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net (echristley(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:

Interesting note on what Sebastien said.  I didn't have a GPS signal going to my ELT.  When I had the off field landing, the ELT reported the last GPS location that it had received. . . about 40 miles from where I was. 

On Monday, January 6, 2020, 12:44:32 PM EST, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Dave,

-- Art Z.

Quote:
This year I hope to finish the build on the Wittman Buttercup I have been building. Because of where I fly, it will have adsb plus a new 406Mhz ELT - which is supposed to have GPS position input! I’m not familiar with RS232 usage (that’s used between the uAvionix GPS receiver and the echoUAT) but it would be nice to share/use that data-stream instead of adding yet another GPS receiver. Is that possible? What about tapping into the WIFI GPS position data being generated by the echoUAT? I know, I’m probably way out to lunch on this - but it seems there ought to be a better way.

-- https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/Love the stranger for you yourselves were strangers in Egypt. Deut. 10:19

yellowduckduo(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: GPS rx over-population Reply with quote

The "relatively" economical ACK E-04 accepts gps position and uses
aircraft power to keep the current position in memory and ready to
transmit it immediately upon activation.  I'm amazed by how many owners
with that unit don't bother to run two wires from their "portable" gps
that sits on the panel and is plugged into aircraft panel anyway. 
Waiting several minutes for a 406 elt to attempt to acquire a position
after activation is giving up a lot of the benefit of a 406 unit.
Ken

On 06/01/2020 1:06 PM, Sebastien wrote:
Quote:

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020, 09:59 Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net
<mailto:echristley(at)att.net>> wrote:

Interesting note on what Sebastien said.  I didn't have a GPS
signal going to my ELT.  When I had the off field landing, the ELT
reported the last GPS location that it had received. . . about 40
miles from where I was.

On Monday, January 6, 2020, 12:44:32 PM EST, Sebastien
<cluros(at)gmail.com <mailto:cluros(at)gmail.com>> wrote:
As Art says, you should be able to send the position data from the
SkyFX-EXT to both the echo UAT and the ELT by splicing into the GY
wire. Check your ELT to make sure it will take NMEA protocol and
115200 baud input.

Of course, the cheapest and easiest solution is not to have GPS
position going to your ELT. Seems silly to have that capability
and not use it but I've seen lots of installs done this way.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020, 05:43 Art Zemon <art(at)zemon.name
<mailto:art(at)zemon.name>> wrote:

Dave,

I am pretty sure that the ELTs all want GPS input via an
RS-232 line, not WiFi. (Except for the few ELTs that have
internal GPS receivers.)

In my plane, I just spliced into the RS-232 line running from
the GPS to the transponder (GPS TX pin to the transponder RX
pin). I ran that line to the ELT RX pin.

As a computer guy, who always thought of RS-232 as
bi-directional communication, this seemed weird. I had to wrap
my head around the notion that RS-232 is being used to
broadcast information (kind of like an FM radio station) so it
works just fine to hook one device's TX pin to the RX pins on
several devices.

-- Art Z.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:11 AM David and Elaine Lamphere
<dalamphere(at)comcast.net <mailto:dalamphere(at)comcast.net>> wrote:

This year I hope to finish the build on the Wittman
Buttercup I have been building. Because of where I fly, it
will have adsb plus a new 406Mhz ELT - which is supposed
to have GPS position input!

I’m not familiar with RS232 usage (that’s used between the
uAvionix GPS receiver and the echoUAT) but it would be
nice to share/use that data-stream instead of adding yet
another GPS receiver.

Is that possible? What about tapping into the WIFI GPS
position data being generated by the echoUAT?
I know, I’m probably way out to lunch on this - but it
seems there ought to be a better way.
--
https://CheerfulCurmudgeon.com/

/Love the stranger for you yourselves were strangers in Egypt.
/Deut. 10:19

David Lamphere

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: GPS rx over-population Reply with quote

A follow-up:
Looks like I’m back to “square-1” as the ELT’s I have looked into only handle RS232 max rates of 9600 - definitely slower than the 115200 rate from the SkyFX-EXT GPS connected to the echoUAT. (that I wanted to use for adsb)

Dave

jwrjrjwrjr(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: GPS rx over-population Reply with quote

https://www.advantech.com/products/9b61869b-9881-49a5-ae89-43f1437c14d1/bb-232brc/mod_de20c037-35f8-4c4e-9141-2edfb6034228

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:30 PM David and Elaine Lamphere <dalamphere(at)comcast.net (dalamphere(at)comcast.net)> wrote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: David and Elaine Lamphere <dalamphere(at)comcast.net (dalamphere(at)comcast.net)>

A follow-up:
Looks like I’m back to “square-1” as the ELT’s I have looked into only handle RS232 max rates of 9600 - definitely slower than the 115200 rate from the SkyFX-EXT GPS connected to the echoUAT. (that I wanted to use for adsb)

Dave
===========
br> fts!)
r> > rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
===========
-
Electric-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

john(at)tipton.me.uk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: GPS rx over-population Reply with quote

That baud rate does seem excessive, the equipment I’m fitting seems to have a common rate of 9600

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

Quote:
On 7 Jan 2020, at 12:38 am, David and Elaine Lamphere <dalamphere(at)comcast.net> wrote:

A follow-up:

Dave

echristley(at)att.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: GPS rx over-population Reply with quote

As Ken pointed out, it was the ACK.

On Monday, January 6, 2020, 1:09:50 PM EST, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020, 09:59 Ernest Christley <echristley(at)att.net (echristley(at)att.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Interesting note on what Sebastien said. I didn't have a GPS signal going to my ELT. When I had the off field landing, the ELT reported the last GPS location that it had received. . . about 40 miles from where I was.

On Monday, January 6, 2020, 12:44:32 PM EST, Sebastien <cluros(at)gmail.com (cluros(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Dave,

-- Art Z.

Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: