Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SL-15 Audio Output

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: SL-15 Audio Output Reply with quote

On 12/30/2019 4:56 PM, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com) wrote:

Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Happy New Years Eve Greetings!!!
I was hoping for advice on how to fix a low audio problem I am having with the audio input to the SL-15 in my airplane.
Specifically, I connect my smart phone to the 1/8 inch audio input jack of my SL-15 and I can just barely hear my crazy [party affiliation redacted] political talk show that is playing from my telephone. The audio is indeed playing however the volume is reallyreally low. Even though my wife is super happy with this setup I would like to fix if for those really rare times when I allow her to play her media we can actually hear it over the continuous loud droning in the cabin (the airplane itself is very quiet).
If I unplug the cable connecting my phone to the ships audio input jack and then insert my earbud headphones into the phone my political talk show volume comes in loud, obnoxious, and opinionated as I expect so I have confirmed that the phone output audio is working. I can hear the aircraft radio as expected.
I have soldered up the audio jack as depicted in the wire harness diagram below and I am using a four conductor patch cable to connect the phone to the ships input jack. Could this be the problem as I am mix matching stereo and mono connectors?
Here is a wire diagram of the SL-15 bottom connector.
Any help (as usual) would be most appreciated!!!
Hi Bill,

I see two possibilities. One is that you wired it correctly, but the audio panel is expecting a much higher level than the phone's headphone jack is capable of providing. (This is a strong probability.) Look at the audio panel's specs to see what level it wants on the music input, and then look at the phone's specs to see the max output from the headphone jack. If you need help translating dB to volts, etc, shoot us a followup email.

Another possibility is, as you mentioned, a miswired cable. You said you used a 4 wire cable. Note that there are only 3 possibilities at the audio panel. If the cable has a 4 terminal plug at the audio panel, it's entirely possible that the right channel pin in the audio panel connector could be hitting both the R ring and the ground ring. You may need something with the 4 conductor plug on one end, and a 3 conductor plug at the audio panel. Unfortunately, a quick stroll through 'the google' didn't turn one up...

Charlie

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
loboflyer(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: SL-15 Audio Output Reply with quote

Bill:
As a point of reference, my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy series) needs to be cranked to max output volume when hooked to my car audio line input for reasonable speaker volume.  That includes clicking the "yeah, I meant it to be that loud" box.  Do you have the phone volume maxed?

You say 4-conductor.  How is that wired from the phone?  I'd try a 3-conductor patch cable.  Here's a forum post elsewhere that gives some clues to wiring.  Apple vs. everyone else means that the microphone and ground are reversed between systems.
(apologies if images aren't appearing... link should be good).  By plugging in a 3-conductor cable you should be telling the phone to ignore the microphone.
[img]cid:ii_k4tacfj94[/img]

From the SL-15 install manual:

"The audio signal at the entertainment input must be a minimum of 500mV P-P per channel for optimum music performance."  (Max is 1V P-P).
[img]cid:ii_k4t8x6t90[/img]
I think the SL-15 input impedance is 510 ohms (unsure if this applies to the entertainment inputs.  Line level is typically 10's of k ohms.  
[img]cid:ii_k4t9hh211[/img]

You don't say what phone you're using, but Ken Rockwell has measured the iPhone 6S's headphone output and says it puts out 0.979V at 600 ohms (and I see no reason why it wouldn't be representative of the general phone population):
Quote:
600Ω: 0.979 V RMS (at) 0.0012% THD.
At 600 ohms, 0.979 Vrms is 2.77Vpk-pk, so a phone should have no issue (over-) driving the input.
-Jeff-

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 6:44 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
On 12/30/2019 4:56 PM, billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com (billhuntersemail(at)gmail.com) wrote:

Quote:

I was hoping for advice on how to fix a low audio problem I am having with the audio input to the SL-15 in my airplane.
Specifically, I connect my “smart” phone to the 1/8 inch audio input jack of my SL-15 and I can just barely hear my crazy [party affiliation redacted] political talk show that is playing from my telephone.  The audio is indeed playing however the volume is really…really low.  Even though my wife is super happy with this setup I would like to fix if for those really rare times when I allow her to play her media we can actually hear it over the continuous loud droning in the cabin (the airplane itself is very quiet).
If I unplug the cable connecting my phone to the ships audio input jack and then insert my earbud headphones into the phone my political talk show volume comes in loud, obnoxious, and opinionated as I expect so I have confirmed that the phone output audio is working.  I can hear the aircraft radio as expected.
I have soldered up the audio jack as depicted in the wire harness diagram below and I am using a four conductor patch cable to connect the phone to the ships input jack.  Could this be the problem as I am mix matching stereo and mono connectors?
Hi Bill,

I see two possibilities. One is that you wired it correctly, but the audio panel is expecting a much higher level than the phone's headphone jack is capable of providing. (This is a strong probability.) Look at the audio panel's specs to see what level it wants on the music input, and then look at the phone's specs to see the max output from the headphone jack. If you need help translating dB to volts, etc, shoot us a followup email.

Another possibility is, as you mentioned, a miswired cable. You said you used a 4 wire cable. Note that there are only 3 possibilities at the audio panel. If the cable has a 4 terminal plug at the audio panel, it's entirely possible that the right channel pin in the audio panel connector could be hitting both the R ring and the ground ring. You may need something with the 4 conductor plug on one end, and a 3 conductor plug at the audio panel. Unfortunately, a quick stroll through 'the google' didn't turn one up...

Charlie

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.72 KB
 Viewed:  1763 Time(s)

image.png

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.73 KB

image.png

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.47 KB

image.png

billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: SL-15 Audio Output Reply with quote

Hi all, 

Sorry for the late reply however life seems to get in the way.

I am about to leave on a 3 week trip so I will research this stuff whilst gone. 
One thing for sure is I will buy a 3 conductor patch cord and try it out when I get back. 
My cell phone is an LG Android type phone and it's the typical plug that has a microphone and stereo earbuds. It works fine in our GMC Yukon for the aux input (when at full volume... after pressing the olde yes I know that loud volume can damage my hearing button... blah... blah... blah) so I imagine it has plenty of zaps to run the zapp's to run the SL 15... yes I tried full volume on the phone. 

Thanks!!!! 

Bill Hunter

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019, 20:15 Jeff B. <loboflyer(at)gmail.com (loboflyer(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Bill:
As a point of reference, my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy series) needs to be cranked to max output volume when hooked to my car audio line input for reasonable speaker volume.  That includes clicking the "yeah, I meant it to be that loud" box.  Do you have the phone volume maxed?

You say 4-conductor.  How is that wired from the phone?  I'd try a 3-conductor patch cable.  Here's a forum post elsewhere that gives some clues to wiring.  Apple vs. everyone else means that the microphone and ground are reversed between systems.
(apologies if images aren't appearing... link should be good).  By plugging in a 3-conductor cable you should be telling the phone to ignore the microphone.
[img]cid:ii_k4tacfj94[/img]

From the SL-15 install manual:

"The audio signal at the entertainment input must be a minimum of 500mV P-P per channel for optimum music performance."  (Max is 1V P-P).
[img]cid:ii_k4t8x6t90[/img]
I think the SL-15 input impedance is 510 ohms (unsure if this applies to the entertainment inputs.  Line level is typically 10's of k ohms.  
[img]cid:ii_k4t9hh211[/img]

You don't say what phone you're using, but Ken Rockwell has measured the iPhone 6S's headphone output and says it puts out 0.979V at 600 ohms (and I see no reason why it wouldn't be representative of the general phone population):
Quote:
600Ω: 0.979 V RMS (at) 0.0012% THD.
At 600 ohms, 0.979 Vrms is 2.77Vpk-pk, so a phone should have no issue (over-) driving the input.
-Jeff-

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 6:44 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Specifically, I connect my “smart” phone to the 1/8 inch audio input jack of my SL-15 and I can just barely hear my crazy [party affiliation redacted] political talk show that is playing from my telephone.  The audio is indeed playing however the volume is really…really low.  Even though my wife is super happy with this setup I would like to fix if for those really rare times when I allow her to play her media we can actually hear it over the continuous loud droning in the cabin (the airplane itself is very quiet).
If I unplug the cable connecting my phone to the ships audio input jack and then insert my earbud headphones into the phone my political talk show volume comes in loud, obnoxious, and opinionated as I expect so I have confirmed that the phone output audio is working.  I can hear the aircraft radio as expected.
I have soldered up the audio jack as depicted in the wire harness diagram below and I am using a four conductor patch cable to connect the phone to the ships input jack.  Could this be the problem as I am mix matching stereo and mono connectors?
Hi Bill,

Charlie

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.72 KB
 Viewed:  1755 Time(s)

image.png

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.73 KB

image.png

image.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.47 KB

image.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: