Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cold starting savvy, Housai... advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draftsjust417(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: cold starting savvy, Housai... advice? Reply with quote

Ok Housai drivers, I need your advice, re:  starts in cold weather.

My CJ6 is as stock as they come (minus the oil dilution system), and for the first time in years she does NOT want to start in this Seattle chill (~40-deg F OAT) .
I've thoroughly cleaned each of the 18 spark plugs, it's def getting fuel, I'm trying an electric pre-heater (E-Z Heat pad), prime 5x, and (besides once last week) she just doesn't want to "catch" and run... altho it runs great, once going.

Is this just the curse of cold wx ops?
Short of moving south, any advice?
Any other heaters y'all can recommend?
Thanks all-   
Justin
N280NC

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
byronmfox(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: cold starting savvy, Housai... advice? Reply with quote

From Aircraft Spruce purchase E-Z Heat pads and glue them to your oil tank and oil sump as directed.

We did so several years ago, with great success. Now when the forecast falls below 50 degrees, a timer switches on the pads several hours before takeoff. Engines starts first time, every time.

Blitz Fox415-307-2405

Quote:
On Nov 30, 2019, at 10:31 AM, Justin Drafts <draftsjust417(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Ok Housai drivers, I need your advice, re: starts in cold weather.

My CJ6 is as stock as they come (minus the oil dilution system), and for the first time in years she does NOT want to start in this Seattle chill (~40-deg F OAT) .
I've thoroughly cleaned each of the 18 spark plugs, it's def getting fuel, I'm trying an electric pre-heater (E-Z Heat pad), prime 5x, and (besides once last week) she just doesn't want to "catch" and run... altho it runs great, once going.

Thanks all-
Justin
N280NC

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

draftsjust417(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: cold starting savvy, Housai... advice? Reply with quote

Ah, good advice on TWO E-Z pads, thanks.Apparently didn't have my 1 pad (on the sump) plugged in nearly long enough for yesterday's frustrating, air wasting attempt.
Seems a 2nd pad a wise investment. 
Anyone had success with hot air blowers?
Justin

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019, 10:52 AM Byron Fox <byronmfox(at)gmail.com (byronmfox(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
From Aircraft Spruce purchase E-Z Heat pads and glue them to your oil tank and oil sump as directed. 

We did so several years ago, with great success. Now when the forecast falls below 50 degrees, a timer switches on the pads several hours before takeoff. Engines starts first time, every time.

Blitz Fox415-307-2405

Quote:
On Nov 30, 2019, at 10:31 AM, Justin Drafts <draftsjust417(at)gmail.com (draftsjust417(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Ok Housai drivers, I need your advice, re:  starts in cold weather.

Thanks all-   
Justin
N280NC

stephen.hayne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: cold starting savvy, Housai... advice? Reply with quote

draftsjust417(at)gmail.co wrote:
Ah, good advice on TWO E-Z pads, thanks.
Apparently didn't have my 1 pad (on the sump) plugged in nearly long enough for yesterday's frustrating, air wasting attempt.

I have an oil tank heater, but didn't put pads on my sump or oil cooler - I was trying to minimize cords. And, I was uncertain whether the magnesium sump was OK to put a heating pad on, likewise the gearbox housing.

Hi Blitz - can you tell me how you run your cords?

However, I do run a 1000W electric blower heater up flexible ducting onto the oil cooler and sometimes move it to the engine area as well - 20 minutes up the cooler and 30 minutes on the engine.

And, I prime 7 shots, (or 3 shots, then get out and pull 2 blades, then 4 shots, if I feel like getting out of the cockpit) leaving the primer up for another shot as it catches. Seems to work well here in Colorado.

http://selfsynchronize.com/hayne/plane/cj6.asp
AlaskaChang801

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: cold starting savvy, Housai... advice? Reply with quote

[quote="draftsjust417(at)gmail.co"]Ah, good advice on TWO E-Z pads, thanks.Apparently didn't have my 1 pad (on the sump) plugged in nearly long enough for yesterday's frustrating, air wasting attempt.
Justin
Hey Justin, sounds like you're back Stateside. Glad to hear first off.
Secondly, Although I'm not in the extreme cold air like you are, it's still in the low 30-40s in SC. I use a kersosene tank heater to pre heat my engine compartment and in turn the sump and oil tank. I fabricated a blower vent from standard home ducting so that I can direct the warm air into the engine compartment. I have it at about 70-80* and let it run for about 20-30 mins and it has the engine compartment warmed up nice. As for the start, I give 3 shots of primer, pull the prop thru about 5 blades and then 3-5 shots of primer again and 2 strokes of the throttle and then leave it cracked and hit the start button. Usually catches and fires up every time.

JL2A

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: cold starting savvy, Housai... advice? Reply with quote

lots of prime on a stationary engine leads to a lot of liquid fuel in the lower cylinders. Have heard of a few destroyed HS6 'static' priming. I can't see how pulling blades through by hand has much effect on fuel distribution.

In cold weather I'd say most of the fuel getting sprayed into the supercharger case from the primer is remaining liquid and pooling in the lower cylinders. This way you have 3 cylinders way too rich to start, spark plugs literally drowned in fuel, and the remaining 6 way too lean.

While we don't experience the cold temps of the OP, try just 1 prime, hit start while simultaneously priming until it fires.

Logic here is that the supercharger impeller is spinning at maybe a couple hundred RPM while fuel is sprayed onto it, flinging it around to give a more uniform mixture delivered to *most* of the cylinders.

Drastically reduces the risk of hydraulic lock due over priming, and you don't have to keep getting in and out of the cockpit!

pjashura

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: cold starting savvy, Housai... advice? Reply with quote

I always prime my Yak this way: After getting fuel pressure with the handle to the left, I only prime (with the handle to the right) until resistance is felt (primer is full of fuel). Then I hit the start button and give it one or two shots while it is cranking. It always starts right away!
PJ

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Dec 20, 2019, at 18:44, JL2A <info(at)flyingwarbirds.com.au.matronics.com> wrote:

lots of prime on a stationary engine leads to a lot of liquid fuel in the lower cylinders. Have heard of a few destroyed HS6 'static' priming. I can't see how pulling blades through by hand has much effect on fuel distribution.

In cold weather I'd say most of the fuel getting sprayed into the supercharger case from the primer is remaining liquid and pooling in the lower cylinders. This way you have 3 cylinders way too rich to start, spark plugs literally drowned in fuel, and the remaining 6 way too lean.

While we don't experience the cold temps of the OP, try just 1 prime, hit start while simultaneously priming until it fires.

Logic here is that the supercharger impeller is spinning at maybe a couple hundred RPM while fuel is sprayed onto it, flinging it around to give a more uniform mixture delivered to *most* of the cylinders.

Drastically reduces the risk of hydraulic lock due over priming, and you don't have to keep getting in and out of the cockpit!

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=493912#493912

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: