Bolly Props?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
13brv3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Bolly Props? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used an Australian Bolly prop? They sound really good on paper compared to the Warp Drive, and Warp Drive even sells them in the US. The Bolly and Warp blades can use the same hubs, and they're both solid solid carbon fiber. It just sounds like Bolly made a more efficient blade for the Warp hub.

I have a 66" 3 blade Warp that came with the 912UL I bought, but I'm thinking of trying a 72" 2 blade Bolly.

Thanks,
Rusty

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
jhauck36(at)outlook.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Bolly Props? Reply with quote

Rusty/Kolbers:

You may be mistaken about Warp Drive Inc selling someone else's props. To the best of my knowledge Warp Drive Inc does sells only props they manufacture.

https://www.warpdriveinc.com/

There is another site that sells Warp Drive props, but they are not Warp Drive Inc.

https://www.warpdriveprops.com/

john hauck
mkIII
Edwards AFB, California
--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
williamtsullivan(at)att.n
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Bolly Props? Reply with quote

I see that the second site does sell Bolly props.

Bill Sullivan
Tarboro, NC

On Sunday, October 13, 2019, 4:51:49 PM EDT, John Hauck <jhauck36(at)outlook.com> wrote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: John Hauck <jhauck36(at)outlook.com>

Rusty/Kolbers:

You may be mistaken about Warp Drive Inc selling someone else's props. To the best of my knowledge Warp Drive Inc does sells only props they manufacture.

https://www.warpdriveinc.com/

There is another site that sells Warp Drive props, but they are not Warp Drive Inc.

https://www.warpdriveprops.com/

john hauck
mkIII
Edwards AFB, California
--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
jhauck36(at)outlook.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Bolly Props? Reply with quote

Right, another site sells Bolly and Warp Drive, but Warp Drive Inc, the factory, only sells products they manufacture or indorse, to the best of my knowledge.

jrh

[...]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolly Props? Reply with quote

Hi John,

Yep, you're correct. I was mistaken. I never noticed the difference in the site names.

So aside from the fact that Warp Drive doesn't sell them, has anyone used one?

Rusty
jhauck36(at)outlook.com wrote:
Rusty/Kolbers:

You may be mistaken about Warp Drive Inc selling someone else's props. To the best of my knowledge Warp Drive Inc does sells only props they manufacture.

https://www.warpdriveinc.com/

There is another site that sells Warp Drive props, but they are not Warp Drive Inc.

https://www.warpdriveprops.com/

john hauck
mkIII
Edwards AFB, California
--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
johngilpin

Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Location: 004

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Bolly Props? Reply with quote

Gday,
Bolly props are really popular here in Australia for good reasons. They are a very efficient and well-made prop. But they aren't solid carbon fiber like the Warp Drive. I can verify that from a recent prop strike by a friend..... But I like that construction because they are much lighter than a Warp Drive which makes for smoother running. Still plenty strong enough for flight ops. And for a ground strike I'd prefer a prop that shattered and protected the gearbox....
I did very thorough prop comparison tests on a bunch of different makes some years ago and these are the results:
https://www.stolspeed.com/nid/46
JG

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
13brv3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bolly Props? Reply with quote

Nice job on the review. I read that in my initial searching. It's odd that with all the different prop types, the measured performance was so similar.

I guess the Bolly is "solid" but not all CF. It looks like they have some sort of micro-balloon core, which is probably a compromise between hollow (or foam) core, and solid CF like Warp. The light weight is nice, but their really peformance benefit is probably smoother operation, and lower noise.

I'll almost certainly just stick with the 3 blade Warp I have for now, and maybe try something else later.

Thanks,
Rusty

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours