Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Approved for spins?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Approved for spins? Reply with quote

I realize the Europa has been tested for and has good spin recovery characteristics.
Some Europa's in the US have been placarded with "intentional spins prohibited". Is this an arbitrary restriction? Is there an official Europa Aircraft document which restricts spins or any other  'aerobatic' manuver (I realize snap rolls would be a bad idea)? I have not yet found anything on the co's website.

Here in Canada spins are to be demonstrated by the instructor as part of our PPL (we used to be tested on them too, but that has been removed from the syllabus), and one can obtain training in one's own homebuilt. So thus my question about spins.
Many thanks,
Pete
#A239 xs (still parts)
#120 classic (new owner)

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Burrilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Approved for spins? Reply with quote

For the Owners Manual page 5-14

Spinning
Intentional spinning is prohibited.
Enough said.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On 27 Sep 2019, at 17:35, Peter Zutrauen <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:

I realize the Europa has been tested for and has good spin recovery characteristics.

Some Europa's in the US have been placarded with "intentional spins prohibited". Is this an arbitrary restriction? Is there an official Europa Aircraft document which restricts spins or any other 'aerobatic' manuver (I realize snap rolls would be a bad idea)? I have not yet found anything on the co's website.

Here in Canada spins are to be demonstrated by the instructor as part of our PPL (we used to be tested on them too, but that has been removed from the syllabus), and one can obtain training in one's own homebuilt. So thus my question about spins.

Many thanks,
Pete
#A239 xs (still parts)
#120 classic (new owner)

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Approved for spins? Reply with quote

Thx. Hmmmmm...i wonder why, since the design is so well spin proven and even proudly shouted from the treetops in the original europa promotion video?

Seems to be quite the waste.

Cheers and thx.

Quote:
On Sep 28, 2019, at 11:48 AM, Alan Burrill <alanb(at)dpy01.co.uk> wrote:

For the Owners Manual page 5-14

Spinning

Enough said.

Alan

Sent from my iPad

> On 27 Sep 2019, at 17:35, Peter Zutrauen <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:
>
> I realize the Europa has been tested for and has good spin recovery characteristics.
>
> Some Europa's in the US have been placarded with "intentional spins prohibited". Is this an arbitrary restriction? Is there an official Europa Aircraft document which restricts spins or any other 'aerobatic' manuver (I realize snap rolls would be a bad idea)? I have not yet found anything on the co's website.
>
> Here in Canada spins are to be demonstrated by the instructor as part of our PPL (we used to be tested on them too, but that has been removed from the syllabus), and one can obtain training in one's own homebuilt. So thus my question about spins.
>
> Many thanks,
> Pete
> #A239 xs (still parts)
> #120 classic (new owner)

AirEupora

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Approved for spins? Reply with quote

Spinning

Both the proof-of-concept (P.O.C..) aircraft G-YURO and the kit prototype G-ELSA have been extensively spin tested, up to 12 turns, and found to have excellent spin recovery with standard spin recovery techniques. Both aircraft were also found to recover satisfactorily from fully developed spins by removing both hands and feet from the controls depending on trim setting.

However, due to builder differences, individual kit aircraft may not exhibit the same spin characteristics as our prototypes. The prototype aircraft have a developed spin rate (after 3 turns) of approximately 180° per second with a 60° nose down attitude.

If a spin is inadvertently entered;

• Close the throttle.
• Retract flaps if deployed

• Full rudder against direction of spin.
• Slight pause.
• Stick forward to neutral.
• Centralise rudder as spin stops.
• Recover from dive to a climbing attitude, applying power as the nose passes above the horizon.

peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Approved for spins? Reply with quote

Cool thx, i did read that after i dug out the POH from the goodie pile that came with 120.

Cheers and thx,
Pete

Ps - in canada aerobatic maneuvers once demonstrated are legal...wise or not.

Quote:
On Sep 28, 2019, at 1:35 PM, AirEupora <AirEupora(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Spinning

Both the proof-of-concept (P.O.C..) aircraft G-YURO and the kit prototype G-ELSA have been extensively spin tested, up to 12 turns, and found to have excellent spin recovery with standard spin recovery techniques. Both aircraft were also found to recover satisfactorily from fully developed spins by removing both hands and feet from the controls depending on trim setting.

However, due to builder differences, individual kit aircraft may not exhibit the same spin characteristics as our prototypes. The prototype aircraft have a developed spin rate (after 3 turns) of approximately 180° per second with a 60° nose down attitude.

If a spin is inadvertently entered;

• Close the throttle.
• Retract flaps if deployed

• Full rudder against direction of spin.
• Slight pause.
• Stick forward to neutral.
• Centralise rudder as spin stops.
• Recover from dive to a climbing attitude, applying power as the nose passes above the horizon.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=491502#491502

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: