Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine mount bolts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graeme bird

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Engine mount bolts Reply with quote

Im just fitting my 912 to LG01 (classic) and am having problems tightening sufficient to get split pins in (I recall my last build had some odd split binx nuts not these). I can get the nuts on but cant find to holes for the pins. Doing the sums there is insufficient length to get to them by a couple of mm.
I need 99.7 max and have cup washers (1.65 x2), spacer 45, LG02 45.6, 4 washers (.84 x 4) and 4.25 nut thickness to get to the nut castellation which all comes to 101.51; 1.81 mm too long? It aint going to go. Maybe I have the wrong spacers (MT03), these were missing and I had to order them.
Any clues appreciated.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

Kit2 G-PATS - (kesterton) Mono Classic 912 warpdrive
Kit 1 G-UMPY - Mono Classic/XS 912S, Woodcomp G(@)gdbmk.co.uk
rowlandcarson(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Engine mount bolts Reply with quote

On 2019-09-06, at 16:06, graeme bird <graeme(at)gdbmk.co.uk> wrote:

Quote:
Im just fitting my 912 to LG01 (classic) and am having problems tightening sufficient to get split pins in (I recall my last build had some odd split binx nuts not these). I can get the nuts on but cant find to holes for the pins. Doing the sums there is insufficient length to get to them by a couple of mm.
I need 99.7 max and have cup washers (1.65 x2), spacer 45, LG02 45.6, 4 washers (.84 x 4) and 4.25 nut thickness to get to the nut castellation which all comes to 101.51; 1.81 mm too long? It aint going to go. Maybe I have the wrong spacers (MT03), these were missing and I had to order them.
Any clues appreciated.

Graeme - I have just re-fitted the engine mount to the LG frame on my XS (not sure if there is a difference in the relevant hardware between Classic & XS).

I found that with everything assembled, the ends of the bolts were barely visible, more or less flush with the cup washers. I could just get the upper nuts started on the bolt threads, but could not on the lower bolts until I squeezed the cup washers slightly with pipe pliers. Once the nuts were started by hand there was no problem in getting them wound in by spanner until the drilled hole in the bolts started to become visible as the nut castellations passed them (had to adjust the bolt orientation so the holes were where they could be seen).

My hardware (as called out on the inventory supplied from the factory) was:

MT01/914 engine mounting frame
AN5-41 Bolt drilled 5/16-24x4-1/8
MT02 cup washer - engine mount
MT03/3 spacer - engine mount
MT04 vibration absorber - engine mount
AN310-5 Nut - castellated 5/16-24

My engine is a 912S - I guess that the mount is the same for 912S & 914, but I don’t know about the plain vanilla 912. Sorry, I don’t feel inclined to dismantle my mount again to measure my parts for comparison with yours Smile

Hope this may be of some help but I guess folk with the Classic/9112 combination would be better placed to give a definitive answer.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

graeme bird

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Engine mount bolts Reply with quote

ah ha, that's it then, the drawing shows AN5-40 which is too short, needs to be AN5-41 that's 1/8th longer. thanks

Kit2 G-PATS - (kesterton) Mono Classic 912 warpdrive
Kit 1 G-UMPY - Mono Classic/XS 912S, Woodcomp G(@)gdbmk.co.uk
rowlandcarson(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Engine mount bolts Reply with quote

On 2019-09-09, at 12:21, graeme bird <graeme(at)gdbmk.co.uk> wrote:

Quote:
ah ha, that's it then, the drawing shows AN5-40 which is too short, needs to be AN5-41 that's 1/8th longer. thanks

Graeme - yes, there seem to be some discrepancies in the manual. The text of chapter 1 of the engine installation manual (page 1-1, issue 2) mentions AN5-41 bolts, but the drawing (page 1-3, issue 3) on the latest PDF I have, still shows AN5-40.

But before I go on, I realise that I completely forgot in my earlier message to mention the 5 washers:

AN960-516L Washer flat thin 5/16

which are fitted to each bolt, and placed in combinations either between the aft cup washer and the LG frame hole or under the nut, to achieve the correct engine thrust angle. So, that washer stack also affects the length of bolt needed.

I’ve had a word with Inspector Pete Jeffers and he recalls an issue with the early arrangements for fitting the rubber (Lord) mounts. His memory (and mine too, now that it has been jogged) is that at some stage the rubber was found to be insufficiently compressed, allowing the engine to flop about excessively. The solution, we think, was to make the tubular spacers (part MT03) a bit shorter, which probably explains why mine had the /03 on the part number - it sounds as though there may have been a couple of tries to get it right!

You need to be sure that you have the right combination of MT03 spacer length and AN5 bolt, so that the Lord mounts are correctly compressed when the nuts are fully tightened, and that the bolts are long enough in the first place to start the nuts on them. The bolts can’t be TOO long, or the drilled holes will be beyond the castellations! We believe that the same combination of hardware is applicable to both XS and Classic - but a word with the factory might be worthwhile to confirm that.

I’d be inclined to check with the factory what length of MT03 they are currently supplying, to see if yours are different.

Hope this is helpful.

in friendship

Rowland

| Rowland Carson ... that's Rowland with a 'w' ...
| <rowlandcarson(at)gmail.com> http://www.rowlandcarson.org.uk
| Skype, Twitter: rowland_carson Facebook: Rowland Carson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: