Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tailplane freeplay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarnish7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Tailplane freeplay Reply with quote

Question for you experienced and knowledgeable guys. I noticed vertical freeplay in the tailplanes of my XS Mono, Standing at the tip of the left tailplane facing the fin, I can lift the tip about 12 mm and when it stops moving there's a small but definite "clonk". Mods 58 (trim tab drive pins) 62 (tailplane torque tube pins and 70 (mass balance arm) have not been embodied.

I took the torque tube out - fun job, that - and the good news is that the bellcrank (TP9) and tailplane drive plates (TP5) are a good tight fit with no play and on TP 9 and tightly fitted pins. The plastic sleeves are a loose fit on TP9 but there's negligible sideways free play on the assembly when installed, so they're correctly positioned laterally. The vertical freeplay I noticed appears to be coming from the fit between the TP5 drive plate and the TP11 bearing bonded to the fuselage with the left side showing a bit more freedom than the right side.

So, the exam question is, what's an acceptable level of vertical freeplay arising from a less than perfect fit between TP5 and TP 11?

The aircraft's done about 300 hours total time since build in 2003. I didn't build it, I bought it much later.

Any feedback would be valuable, thanks.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

n7188u

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tailplane freeplay Reply with quote

Look at this posting

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?t=16770574&highlight=play

My tail plane is also a clunker and I have zero hours on my plane. I got good replies on my post just like yours. If I recall correctly, as long as the play is not on the pitch control (torque) axis it should be ok but what is unknown to me is at what point it is too much. I was advised to move on as it is and keep an eye on it which I’m doing.

In my case, the bearings are ok but the bearing surface in the pitch tube on one side is a few thou smaller causing noticeable play at the stab tip. I measured everything and have the data but it’s been a while and at this point I really don’t even think about it although annoying it is.

Chris

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ptag.dev(at)talktalk.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Tailplane freeplay Reply with quote

Hi! When I bonded in my bushings I embodied grease nipples and in the event of any slack appearing a shot of grease removes any such concerns.
Regards
Bob Harrison.

--

tarnish7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tailplane freeplay Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies guys, much appreciated. I'm happy that the torque tube integrity is fine (and while I have it out I'll embody the mods) and there's no flutter of control resonance risk with that freeplay so I can understand Chris' advice to leave it and keep an eye on it, but I'd still like to know what constitutes "acceptable" - I still don't like something that "clonks" when I wobble it!

Keith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: