912 radiator?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
13brv3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

Greetings,

Is everyone paying $500 for the official Rotax radiator, or are there other popular options? There are a number of Ebay radiators in the $210 range that mention the 912, and they appear to be the right size, but none of them list the inlet and outlet diameter. One seller did state that his was 25mm inlet, and 30mm outlet, but I believe they should both be 25mm/1".

Aluminum radiators aren't exactly rocket science, and I'm tempted to give one of those a try, but it's frustrating that I haven't been able to get inlet and outlet sizes for any of the others that are listed. I get the impression there are only about 2-3 different radiators for all the dozens of listings, and maybe only a couple sellers, each with a few different aliases.

Thanks,
Rusty

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ceengland7(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

On 8/20/2019 11:40 AM, 13brv3 wrote:
[...]

Why not just find an ebay special motorcycle rad for a 100+hp bike? Or

check a cycle salvage yard, if there's one near you. Drag certainly
isn't as big an issue as it was with the -3, so if you 'go big' (and
thin) & feed it with a sheet metal wedge diffuser, you pretty much know
it'll work. You can get silicone size adapters from/to almost any common
diameter now, so fitting size shouldn't be too much of an issue. If you
want to go with an auto rad, IIRC, a stock Honda Civic rad is about an
inch thick (might be a bit thicker) & has ~1" fittings.

Charlie

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
rriley351(at)gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

I have some 582 radiators and engine and prop I nop longer have a use forChuck Riley 559-493-0338
RCR Light Aircraft former Titan dealer
On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 11:04 AM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>

On 8/20/2019 11:40 AM, 13brv3 wrote:
> --> Kolb-List message posted by: "13brv3" <13brv3(at)gmail.com (13brv3(at)gmail.com)>
>
> Greetings,
>
> Is everyone paying $500 for the official Rotax radiator, or are there other popular options?  There are a number of Ebay radiators in the $210 range that mention the 912, and they appear to be the right size, but none of them list the inlet and outlet diameter.  One seller did state that his was 25mm inlet, and 30mm outlet, but I believe they should both be 25mm/1".
>
> Aluminum radiators aren't exactly rocket science, and I'm tempted to give one of those a try, but it's frustrating that I haven't been able to get inlet and outlet sizes for any of the others that are listed.  I get the impression there are only about 2-3 different radiators for all the dozens of listings, and maybe only a couple sellers, each with a few different aliases.
>
> Thanks,
> Rusty
Why not just find an ebay special motorcycle rad for a 100+hp bike? Or
check a cycle salvage yard, if there's one near you. Drag certainly
isn't as big an issue as it was with the -3, so if you 'go big' (and
thin) & feed it with a sheet metal wedge diffuser, you pretty much know
it'll work. You can get silicone size adapters from/to almost any common
diameter now, so fitting size shouldn't be too much of an issue. If you
want to go with an auto rad, IIRC, a stock Honda Civic rad is about an
inch thick (might be a bit thicker) & has ~1" fittings.

Charlie

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--

Chuck Riley
RCR Light Aircraft

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
13brv3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

ceengland7(at)gmail.com wrote:

If you
want to go with an auto rad, IIRC, a stock Honda Civic rad is about an
inch thick (might be a bit thicker) & has ~1" fittings.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

The Civic is about double the size of the stock 912 rad, and just a little thicker. Seems like the two normal outlet sizes are 28mm and 32mm. They sure are cheap Smile There are probably other common small car and motorcycle rads that would work as well, but I'd spend an eternity trying to sort through them. If anyone knows of another auto rad that is close to the right size, and with 1" outlets, that will make the search easier.

I'm pretty sure I can make one of the Ebay 912 rads work, but it would sure be nice if I could get the sellers to answer a question. I'll mount the engine later this week with any luck, then start getting serious about a radiator when I see my mounting options.

Thanks,
Rusty

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ajones(at)dfn.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

Discontinue

On Aug 20, 2019, at 1:21 PM, Rudolph Riley <rriley351(at)gmail.com (rriley351(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I have some 582 radiators and engine and prop I nop longer have a use forChuck Riley 559-493-0338
RCR Light Aircraft former Titan dealer
On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 11:04 AM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com) >

On 8/20/2019 11:40 AM, 13brv3 wrote:
> --> Kolb-List message posted by: "13brv3" <13brv3(at)gmail.com (13brv3(at)gmail.com)>
>
> Greetings,
>
> Is everyone paying $500 for the official Rotax radiator, or are there other popular options? There are a number of Ebay radiators in the $210 range that mention the 912, and they appear to be the right size, but none of them list the inlet and outlet diameter. One seller did state that his was 25mm inlet, and 30mm outlet, but I believe they should both be 25mm/1".
>
> Aluminum radiators aren't exactly rocket science, and I'm tempted to give one of those a try, but it's frustrating that I haven't been able to get inlet and outlet sizes for any of the others that are listed. I get the impression there are only about 2-3 different radiators for all the dozens of listings, and maybe only a couple sellers, each with a few different aliases.
>
> Thanks,
> Rusty
Why not just find an ebay special motorcycle rad for a 100+hp bike? Or
check a cycle salvage yard, if there's one near you. Drag certainly
isn't as big an issue as it was with the -3, so if you 'go big' (and
thin) & feed it with a sheet metal wedge diffuser, you pretty much know
it'll work. You can get silicone size adapters from/to almost any common
diameter now, so fitting size shouldn't be too much of an issue. If you
want to go with an auto rad, IIRC, a stock Honda Civic rad is about an
inch thick (might be a bit thicker) & has ~1" fittings.

Charlie

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--

Chuck Riley
RCR Light Aircraft
Office : 559-224-8841
Cell: 559-493-0338

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
Richard Pike

Location: Blountville, Tennessee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

And Bob's yur uncle. I grabbed a used bike radiator for my MKIII/582 years ago for $70 and it has done me very well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Parts-Replacement-Engine-Cooling-Radiator-For-Honda-CBR600RR-2003-06/173297685160?fits=Make%3AHonda&epid=4007796152&hash=item285958d2a8:g:BNoAAOSwIVxdR-pB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Aluminium-Replacement-Engine-Cooling-Radiator-for-Honda-VTR250-97-07/183743581775?hash=item2ac7f88e4f:g:2AIAAOSw-QBcLHCI

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Parts-Engine-Cooling-Radiator-for-Honda-CBR600RR-07-15-CBR600RA-09-15/173760040889?fits=Make%3AHonda&epid=24028443614&hash=item2874e7cfb9:g:IuUAAOSwy5xdQWM8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Honda-CB1000-94-95-Motorcycle-Parts-Aluminum-Cooler-Engine-Cooling-Radiator/183653486876?epid=19028435603&hash=item2ac299d11c:g:hKoAAOSwXWZdSUaX

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
baberdk

Location: East Moline, Il

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

30 mm means it's made in Austria and imported. That is 1 1/8 in American. A standard 1" heater hose will be snug.

Respectfully,
Dennis Baber
Cape Coral, Fl
baberdk(at)gmail.com (baberdk(at)gmail.com)
305-814-7218
Stay Curious

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

30 mm means it's made in Austria and imported. That is 1 1/8 in American. A standard 1" heater hose will be snug

Closer to
1  3/16
Quote:

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
13brv3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

Thanks, I looked at some bike radiators last night, and had never seen curved radiators before. In the mean time, I've all but confirmed that this radiator is very similar to the $500 Rotax unit, with 25mm inlet and outlet, so I think I'll give it a try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aircraft-Drone-Rotax-912-914-Viking-Suzuki-Aeromomentum-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR/273379324254?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thanks. I think I'm all set.
Rusty

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
jhauck36(at)outlook.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

1" = 25.4 mm

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

30 mm means it's made in Austria and imported. That is 1 1/8 in American. A standard 1" heater hose will be snug

Closer to

1 3/16
Quote:

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
jhauck36(at)outlook.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

Are you running a 912UL or 9112ULS?

80 hp 912 requires very little cooling. I used to bypass my engine oil cooler completely in the winter in Alabama, summer in Northern Canada and Alaska.

912ULS was just the opposite. Took a lot of cooling to keep it happy.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
13brv3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

Interesting about the difference. Mine is an 80hp UL. I'm starting with the small oil cooler, and was trying to stick with pretty much the standard radiator size. I'm just a bit north of you in TN.

Rusty

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
jhauck36(at)outlook.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

Higher compression ratio.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
rickofudall

Joined: 19 Sep 2009
Location: Udall, KS, USA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: 912 radiator? Reply with quote

Check out the radiator from the Honda 1100 Magna. I used it with my 582 and put it on another. Both worked perfectly.  If you're putting the 912 on a Mk 3 or a Kolbra it's one to look at.

Rick.
On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 1:04 PM Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)>

On 8/20/2019 11:40 AM, 13brv3 wrote:
> --> Kolb-List message posted by: "13brv3" <13brv3(at)gmail.com (13brv3(at)gmail.com)>
>
> Greetings,
>
> Is everyone paying $500 for the official Rotax radiator, or are there other popular options?  There are a number of Ebay radiators in the $210 range that mention the 912, and they appear to be the right size, but none of them list the inlet and outlet diameter.  One seller did state that his was 25mm inlet, and 30mm outlet, but I believe they should both be 25mm/1".
>
> Aluminum radiators aren't exactly rocket science, and I'm tempted to give one of those a try, but it's frustrating that I haven't been able to get inlet and outlet sizes for any of the others that are listed.  I get the impression there are only about 2-3 different radiators for all the dozens of listings, and maybe only a couple sellers, each with a few different aliases.
>
> Thanks,
> Rusty
Why not just find an ebay special motorcycle rad for a 100+hp bike? Or
check a cycle salvage yard, if there's one near you. Drag certainly
isn't as big an issue as it was with the -3, so if you 'go big' (and
thin) & feed it with a sheet metal wedge diffuser, you pretty much know
it'll work. You can get silicone size adapters from/to almost any common
diameter now, so fitting size shouldn't be too much of an issue. If you
want to go with an auto rad, IIRC, a stock Honda Civic rad is about an
inch thick (might be a bit thicker) & has ~1" fittings.

Charlie

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
“Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”   Groucho Marx

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

The smallest miracle right in front of you is enough to make you happy....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours