Europa-List: Re: A Video to Change Basic Concepts

duanefamly(at)aol.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Europa-List: Re: A Video to Change Basic Concepts Reply with quote

Hey Rick, Marking the 1.404 X stall speed line on the AS indicator I believe can give a good visual if you look at it during maneuvers and in the pattern. I installed an AOA during my build and have found  it to be very valuable. I very much agree with you in the FAA’s lack of attention to actual stalls during flight training. I think that one point made in the video was teaching the proper â€śreaction” being automatic to hearing the stall warner. I think getting pilots away from being surprised and delaying their response could save many lives.
Mike Duane

Sent from Windows Mail

From: Rick Stockton (AirEupora(at)sbcglobal.net)
Sent: â€ŽSunday‎, ‎September‎ ‎22‎, ‎2019 ‎9‎:‎36‎ ‎AM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)

--> Europa-List message posted by: "AirEupora" <AirEupora(at)sbcglobal.net>

Duane, not a bad video.  After teaching for the last sixty years the FAA has dumb down the ACS to the point I had to write a letter to the FAA, but it did no good.  Stalls are still killing people.  When you watch this video he is trying to get pilot to go to a safe airspeed, which I have no problem with.  Some GA pilot never practice stalls and when it does happen they don't believe it and delay the recover.  The Cessna' are hard to get into a spin, but once they in it.  You can let go and it will recover itself if rigged correctly.  My Europa would stall at 44 knots and break straight down.  On the power on stalled it was very difficult to get a good stall as it would start turning to the left and stay right on the edge of the stall.  Never span it as the book said not to.

Having a quick reference line on the airspeed is a good Ideal, but I had an MGL EFIS installed and not sure how I could mark it..
The best thing on the market is an AOA (Angle of Attach).  I first saw this in action back in Korea.  Back seating in a F-4.  The pilot flew the whole pattern with the AOA at 14 degrees.  The tone was just on and he showed me the indicator was in the yellow range.

The MGL had a AOA and it worked very nicely during flight maneuvers.  In the traffic pattern I'd fly at 85 knots then slow to put flaps out.  I'd get a tone and an indication on the screen of my attitude.   As I came in for landing the tone would get high and the indicator would go red as I approached a stall.

I have ten airplane on my flight line and it cost 3k just to install an certify AOA.  What the guy in the video is doing is setting a safe speed on the airspeed indicator.
A lot of the newer aircraft are coming from the factor with an AOA.

_-= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,
_-= Photoshare, and much much more:
_-=
_-=   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
_-=
_-============================================================
_-=               - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
_-= Same great content also available via the Web Forums!
_-=
_-=   --> http://forums.matronics.com
_-=
_-=              - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
_-= Add some info to the Matronics Email List Wiki!
_-=   --> http://wiki.matronics.com
_-=             - List Contribution Web Site -
_-=  Thank you for your generous support!
_-=                              -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
_-=   --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution