Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kolb air airworthiness directive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlieoneseven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Kolb air airworthiness directive Reply with quote

I noticed a link on the Kolb home page today leading to this.
https://kolbaircraft.com/FirestarAD.htm

Has anyone installed this?
My plane has a metal bracket welded to the frame and bolt in the general area this new part completely covers it.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

7106C9ED-33D7-457E-A6A8-8821574C6EF9.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.38 KB
 Viewed:  5503 Time(s)

7106C9ED-33D7-457E-A6A8-8821574C6EF9.jpeg

Charlieoneseven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Kolb air airworthiness directive Reply with quote

My brace.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

19E907E8-D8C0-413E-8FE4-F72ECBF1010E.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.87 MB
 Viewed:  5495 Time(s)

19E907E8-D8C0-413E-8FE4-F72ECBF1010E.jpeg

wakataka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kolb air airworthiness directive Reply with quote

I just received the parts and am in the process of installing them. The parts do the same job as that welded brace on your plane, so you should be good, assuming that both bellcranks have a similar brace as in the photo. Your brace is at least as strong as the the ones provided in the kit from Kolb.

My plane has no braces attached to the end of the bellcrank pivot bolts. I can see how the bolt or the weld could be weakened over time due to the repeated bending loads from the bellcrank.

The kit from Kolb includes two braces and the pop rivets needed to attach them to the root tube. The rivet holes are not drilled in the braces. One of the braces needed to be modified with a rotary file in order to fit on my 1985 Firestar. On my airframe, there's a little piece of tubing that secures the fuel tank welded about 3/4" away from the aileron bell crank. The new bracket needs to be filed down by at least 1/4" in order to clear the fuel tank brace tube. I think I can make the Kolb bracket work. If not, I guess I'll weld on a bracket like yours.

I applaud Kolb for taking the initiative to identify and engineer a fix for this problem.

Mark Twain
jhauck36(at)outlook.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Kolb air airworthiness directive Reply with quote

I was concerned when I got my FS kit, late 1985 or early 86, to discover the butt welded pivot bolt on the aileron bell crank with no bracing. I designed a strap brace to stabilize that pivot bolt. Looked a lot like what Kolb came up with at a later date. Never had a problem with it.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

--

gdhelton(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Kolb air airworthiness directive Reply with quote

I did this modification about four years ago on my original Firestar. The only thing you might have change is the castle nuts. I had to go to half castles because the welded studs( bolts ) were just a bit short. This is a must do mod. for anyone who hasn’t done it yet.
Are you back home, John?
George H.
Firestar 1986, Hirth 2702
14GDH
Mesick, Michigan
gdhelton(at)gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone

[quote] On Aug 13, 2019, at 8:21 AM, John Hauck <jhauck36(at)outlook.com> wrote:

I was concerned when I got my FS kit, late 1985 or early 86, to discover the butt welded pivot bolt on the aileron bell crank with no bracing. I designed a strap brace to stabilize that pivot bolt. Looked a lot like what Kolb came up with at a later date. Never had a problem with it.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

--

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105 KB
 Viewed:  5362 Time(s)

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.03 KB
 Viewed:  5362 Time(s)

image2.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: