Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists
 
 Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NSI CAP 140 Problem

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mike Kelly



Joined: 09 Jul 2019
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: NSI CAP 140 Problem Reply with quote

Hello All,
I am experiencing a problem with the variable pitch on the Europa.
The pitch has become fixed in the "fine" position.
The slip ring is good and voltages appearing on the slip ring seem ok.
Does anyone have a description/wiring diagram of the system, or can anyone
pass on knowledge of where the problem might be?
Does anyone have a service manual that may help.
A cross section view of the mechanism would be great!
Many thanks in anticipation.


- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

_________________
MK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dg.watts(at)talktalk.net
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: NSI CAP 140 Problem Reply with quote

Mike,

I have sent you a .pdf of the NSI Manual.
If you don’t receive it, let me know and I’ll send it again.

Dave Watts

Quote:
On 10 Jul 2019, at 2:06 pm, Mike Kelly <mike(at)dommi.plus.com> wrote:



Hello All,
I am experiencing a problem with the variable pitch on the Europa.
The pitch has become fixed in the "fine" position.
The slip ring is good and voltages appearing on the slip ring seem ok.
Does anyone have a description/wiring diagram of the system, or can anyone
pass on knowledge of where the problem might be?
Does anyone have a service manual that may help.
A cross section view of the mechanism would be great!
Many thanks in anticipation.

--------
MK




Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=490185#490185











- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Back to top
Mike Kelly



Joined: 09 Jul 2019
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: NSI CAP 140 Problem Reply with quote

Thank you Dave, this will be a great help to us.
Many thanks Very Happy


- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

_________________
MK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
budyerly(at)msn.com
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: NSI CAP 140 Problem Reply with quote

Mike and others with CS props,
If your prop is an Airmaster, the maintenance is in the installation/operators manual. Very clear.
Other props, good luck. Go to your manufacturer or the chat room for a prop no longer in production to get the manuals.

Typically your brushes are worn and no longer make solid contact. If an electric prop cannot be used in manual, normally go to your prop manual and change your brushes if they are worn.

Next is the actual micro switches used. Again, simple to trouble shoot by inspection. Again, the troubleshooting guide is available from the prop manufacturer.

Finally if the prop will not respond in general I always start at the front of the prop, check the motor by disconnecting the leads from the prop, and use a 9-12 volt power source (as per your particular manufactuer) to drive the motor. If the motor works, fine, if not replace it. Most likely the prop manufacturer has an upgraded motor as electric motor and gearbox technology has improved significantly. Follow the leads back through to the brush rings. Pretty simple on an Airmaster, the wires are color coded. Then once the fault is found, it becomes obvious.

For the Airmaster we have documentation on request. Our electrical troubleshooting guide is attached for your review.

As Gary Leinberger (388SG) said tongue in cheek: Im going to write a book on how to troubleshoot by going to the last thing I checked and found the solution. Ill make millions. Seems that is the way it works.

When we build airplanes, we builders have all the manuals on all the systems, we make drawings, photos and document our airplanes. Without these manuals, and the familiarity with them, proper maintenance is difficult to impossible to perform properly.

Best Regards,

Bud Yerly
US Airmaster Dealer
Custom Flight Creations, Inc.



Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Mike Kelly (mike(at)dommi.plus.com)
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 9:11 AM
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: NSI CAP 140 Problem


--> Europa-List message posted by: "Mike Kelly" <mike(at)dommi.plus.com>

Hello All,
I am experiencing a problem with the variable pitch on the Europa.
The pitch has become fixed in the "fine" position.
The slip ring is good and voltages appearing on the slip ring seem ok.
Does anyone have a description/wiring diagram of the system, or can anyone
pass on knowledge of where the problem might be?
Does anyone have a service manual that may help.
A cross section view of the mechanism would be great!
Many thanks in anticipation.

--------
MK




Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=490185#490185






===========
st Email Forum -
pa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p; -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========


- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List



Fault_finding_AP332_electrical.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Fault_finding_AP332_electrical.pdf
 Filesize:  241.19 KB
 Downloaded:  27 Time(s)

Back to top
Mike Kelly



Joined: 09 Jul 2019
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: NSI CAP 140 Problem Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Bud. Mr. Green

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

_________________
MK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mike Kelly



Joined: 09 Jul 2019
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: NSI CAP 140 Problem Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for helping.
What we found is that 4 very small screws had sheared off the end of the
gear train housing, allowing the motor & gearbox assembly to rotate and snap the supply wires to the motor.

Now we are faced with the task of removing these small screws from the gear housing and making good again.

Will let you know when we are back up and running again. Confused


- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

_________________
MK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: NSI CAP 140 Problem Reply with quote

What caused them is to shear, and what can be done to prevent recurrence?
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2019, at 3:28 AM, Mike Kelly <mike(at)dommi.plus.com> wrote:



Thanks everyone for helping.
What we found is that 4 very small screws had sheared off the end of the
gear train housing, allowing the motor & gearbox assembly to rotate and snap the supply wires to the motor.

Now we are faced with the task of removing these small screws from the gear housing and making good again.

Will let you know when we are back up and running again. Confused

--------
MK




Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=490417#490417











- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Back to top
kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: NSI CAP 140 Problem Reply with quote

A few years ago I replaced an NSI propeller with an Airmaster.

Subsequent to the exchange, I dismantled the NSI hub to see how it was constructed. I was surprised to find that small screws on the end of the planetary gearbox assembly were all loose to the extent they would have fallen out except for the fact the gearbox was encapsulated in a housing.

On making this discovery, I was surprised the prop had not exhibited any mechanical problems while pitch changing but I suspect it was only a matter of time.

I am guessing these are the same screws that Mike had shear in his hub ??

I’m not sure if any locking agent was employed but if I was going to use the hub again I would certainly use Loctite or similar on the threads of those screws.

Regards
Kingsley in Oz

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On 19 Jul 2019, at 11:22 pm, Pete <peterz(at)zutrasoft.com> wrote:



What caused them is to shear, and what can be done to prevent recurrence?


> On Jul 19, 2019, at 3:28 AM, Mike Kelly <mike(at)dommi.plus.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Thanks everyone for helping.
> What we found is that 4 very small screws had sheared off the end of the
> gear train housing, allowing the motor & gearbox assembly to rotate and snap the supply wires to the motor.
>
> Now we are faced with the task of removing these small screws from the gear housing and making good again.
>
> Will let you know when we are back up and running again. Confused
>
> --------
> MK
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=490417#490417






- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -
 

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group