What is the cylinder torque value for the nuts at the base.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
hill(at)doctor-hill.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: What is the cylinder torque value for the nuts at the base. Reply with quote

According to Jill, the cylinder hold down nuts are 304 - 330 In.-Lbs. with a M10 thread size.

Had some of the base nuts go loose on cylinder #9 last summer. Made a real mess.

Warren Hill
N464TW
Mesa, AZ

Quote:
On Jun 17, 2019, at 1:54 PM, motoadve <motoadve(at)racsa.co.cr> wrote:

Had a big oil leak, too big to keep flying, used some dye, and it showed it was coming from the base of cyl #4 , we checked tightness of the nuts and are loose.
Glad I did not ignored this oil leak.

Does anyone know the torque value needed for the nuts at the base of the cylinder?

--------
www.Backcountry182.com
Cessna 182 P
CJ -6

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
dsavarese0812(at)bellsout
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: What is the cylinder torque value for the nuts at the base. Reply with quote

304-330 in/lbs or 25-28 ft/lbs.
Dennis

--> Yak-List message posted by: "motoadve" <motoadve(at)racsa.co.cr (motoadve(at)racsa.co.cr)>

-= --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-L; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -

htt= - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIiki.matronics.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics=======================
</; &nb --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Back to top
wlannon(at)shaw.ca
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: What is the cylinder torque value for the nuts at the base. Reply with quote

This is actually a very serious problem, with the HS6A engine in particularly.

The HS6A is unique to the series in that the crankcase is shot-peened in the cylinder mounting flange area. This process is used to inhibit crack development in highly stressed areas by effectively increasing the surface area.

Strangely enough the process is not used on the M14P crankcase even though the operational temperature and stresses are, in all probability, considerably
higher. This leads one to suspect that the Chinese alum. alloy manufacturing and heat treating processes may leave something to be desired.

A few years ago a gentleman from Namibia posted a photo of a cracked HS6A crankcase where the crack surfaces were displaced from each other by something like 10 mm. A sure sign of enormous internal stress relieved by the crack. Hopefully that was a one-time occurrence.

In any case shot peening is used and with it comes a new problem.

The cylinder hold down studs are possibly the highest cyclically loaded threaded fasteners on the engine. They need to be stretched on installation to a point within their elastic limit where the operational tensile loading is absorbed without further stretching. Torqueing is a quick and dirty method of establishing that point.

By design shot peening produces a rough surface. Whether too rough for the seating surface of the cylinder flange I don’t, at this point, really know though I suspect not. The factory obviously is concerned and “corrects” this with a paper shim. This of course over time disintegrates leaving you with a loose cylinder and possibly studs stretched beyond the elastic limit, cracked or broken and a cylinder about to depart.

Notes on torque: The factory wrench for this job, Chinese or Russian, provides absolutely no means to measure the torque value. I weld a nut in the appropriate location. See attached pic.
I use a LUBRICATED 300 to 320 in./lb. torque.

Walt

</; target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution" http://www.matronics.com/contribution

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

2018-04-28_004.JPG
 Filesize:  2.05 MB
 Viewed:  4400 Time(s)

2018-04-28_004.JPG

Back to top
woodja51

Joined: 13 May 2015
Location: MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the cylinder torque value for the nuts at the b Reply with quote

I bought an electronic torque wrench that beeps when you get close to and the again when at the correct torque. And used the Chinese spanner with it attached. I took my nuts up on paper gaskets ( there are aluminium ones there it seems as standard ?) to 35 ‘ lbs which is closer to the values on the m14 I think. They should always be wet/ lubed for torque setting I believe. I might have slightly over torqued them but would rather be a little in the high side. Matt

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
woodja51

Joined: 13 May 2015
Location: MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the cylinder torque value for the nuts at the b Reply with quote

Following on from what a poster sent about nut torque/ wet or dry.

It would appear that failure to lubricate / oil nuts when applying torque can lead to about half the torque simply being used to break thread / friction etc?

28 foot lbs on a dry nut might result in only half that value actually being applied to create clamping forces. I know these nuts are only acting in tensionso might not be 100% applicable ( as the YouTube video concerned plates in building steel etc.. but worth consideration and might be why M14P?nuts torqued this way might come loose ? Just a thought. M

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours