Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demand for a new Mono or convert it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graeme bird

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Demand for a new Mono or convert it? Reply with quote

I have taken over this mono kit from someone who has fallen ill but I am wondering if there is a demand for it when finished as I have one already!

I am not far off finishing but ideally I'd find someone who wants it; and maybe would be interested coming along side for the commissioning/final inspections etc.

Would I be better making it conventional tail dragger (is there a UK solution, I recall seeing some impressive carbon fibre at a show)?
Or would the investment in the tri-gear conversion be sensible? (I can still feel the horrendous wheel shimmy from my old Rallye and dont want to go there again!).

My mono is absolutely ideal for my strip and flying I am more than pleased with it - there is nothing i'd rather be flying, but there seem to be only so many old boys buying these things (or any aircraft).

I could also consider selling shares in it at Eaton Bray Beds so i can maintain it etc.

Or I could moth ball it in my hangar roof space and wait till someone prangs theirs and is looking for another - bit of a waste.

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

Kit2 G-PATS - (kesterton) Mono Classic 912 warpdrive
Kit 1 G-UMPY - Mono Classic/XS 912S, Woodcomp G(@)gdbmk.co.uk
JonathanMilbank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Demand for a new Mono or convert it? Reply with quote

After flying mine for over 600 hours as a mono before converting it to tri-gear, plus knowing a couple of people who've actively been looking for tri- Europas, I've no doubt that the chances of selling a mono at all and also getting a fair price are much poorer than selling a tri-gear.

However it's difficult to know whether you'd recoup the cost of the tri-gear conversion kit, even without considering the investment of time and labour.

As for conventional tail dragger kits, is there anyone still producing them for Europas; not that I've heard of for many years?

Nose wheel shimmy in Europas is easily dealt with by smearing the friction disc and bearings with NYE damping grease. I've used it for years after dear Neville recommended it to me and it makes nose wheel steering progressive and smooth, avoiding potential "notchiness" due to stiction caused by a dry friction disc when making turns.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Hitchflight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Demand for a new Mono or convert it? Reply with quote

Hi Graeme

The demand is there. It’s just a question of price and education.

https://www.theeuropaclub.org/the-club/sales-and-spares-member-adverts
Six sold from the website in the last months.

The carbon fibre taildragger is the Callisto version. Sadly the builder, Nigel Graham is still in hospital at the moment so hasn’t been responding to email for some time. We continue to wish him well.

https://www.theeuropaclub.org/building/undercarriage

Regards

Bob

PS I love my XS Mono.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: