Europa-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 06/08/19

creightonious

Joined: 10 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Europa-List Digest: 3 Msgs - 06/08/19 Reply with quote

Fred,
While I concur that in order to accommodate the 1 light pilot, full fuel, heavy bag-bay loading (which was my airplane’s condition), a forward CG is necessary, I caution that stick back on the ground and landing tailwheel first is the thing which will keep you out of trouble.
Also, remember the Europa’s ailerons are very powerful and you must never start a takeoff with full aileron into the crosswind. In this condition, right at liftoff, the upwind wing will stall and the airplane will snap 30deg.
It is hard to unlearn the hard-won taildragger skills, but trust the outriggers and use a finger-width of aileron.
Keep the tailwheel on the ground.
Creighton Smith. A009

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jun 9, 2019, at 02:35, Europa-List Digest Server <europa-list(at)matronics.com> wrote:

*

Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive

Today's complete Europa-List Digest can also be found in either of the
two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted
in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
of the Europa-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
such as Notepad or with a web browser.

HTML Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter 19-06-08&Archive=Europa

Text Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter 19-06-08&Archive=Europa

EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive

Europa-List Digest Archive
---
Total Messages Posted Sat 06/08/19: 3

Today's Message Index:
----------------------

1. 11:01 AM - Mono ground handling (Fred Klein)
2. 01:05 PM - Re: Mono ground handling (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk)
3. 01:46 PM - Re: Mono ground handling (Fred Klein)

________________________________ Message 1 _____________________________________

Time: 11:01:13 AM PST US
From: Fred Klein <freddythek10(at)gmail.com>
Subject: Mono ground handling

Mono Gents,

Im looking for recommendations regarding location of C of G and its affect on ground
handling, particularly during landing roll out on a hard surface runway
in the hands of an experienced taildragger pilot, soon to become a newbie mono-driver.

Im fully aware of the content of Section 6 - Weight and Balance, of the Owners
manualincluding, of course, the recommendation for the restricted C of G envelope
for first flight.

My principal question is: Within that restricted envelope, what has been learned
about whether the optimum C of G location would favor the forward limit?or the
aft limit?

Comments most appreciated,

Fred

________________________________ Message 2 _____________________________________

Time: 01:05:03 PM PST US
From: davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk
Subject: Re: Mono ground handling

Fred, For me the important thing is that your c of g should allow any
realistic loading without putting the c of g out of limits, that is with
one v light pilot and full fuel and luggage and also heavy pilots and
little fuel and luggage. That requires a fairly forward c of g, which
for me worked out at 58.83". I believe but have no proof that a forward
c of g will also help ground stability by minimising the tendency for
the tail to keep swinging outwards once a turn is started. I achieved my
'ideal' c of g by adding 3 lbs of lead bolted in front of the stern
post.

Best of luck, David Joyce, GXSDJ

> On 2019-06-08 19:00, Fred Klein wrote:
>

> Mono Gents,
>
> I'm looking for recommendations regarding location of C of G and its affect on
ground handling, particularly during landing roll out on a hard surface runway
in the hands of an experienced taildragger pilot, soon to become a newbie mono-driver.

> I'm fully aware of the content of Section 6 - Weight and Balance, of the Owner's
manual...including, of course, the recommendation for the restricted C of
G envelope for first flight.

> My principal question is: Within that restricted envelope, what has been learned
about whether the optimum C of G location would favor the forward limit...?...or
the aft limit...?...

> Comments most appreciated,
>
> Fred

Links:
------
[1] http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
[2] http://forums.matronics.com
[3] http://wiki.matronics.com
[4] http://www.matronics.com/contribution

________________________________ Message 3 _____________________________________

Time: 01:46:39 PM PST US
From: Fred Klein <freddythek10(at)gmail.com>

Great feedback David...thanks mucho!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 8, 2019, at 1:04 PM, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk wrote:
>
> Fred, For me the important thing is that your c of g should allow any real
istic loading without putting the c of g out of limits, that is with one v l
ight pilot and full fuel and luggage and also heavy pilots and little fuel a
nd luggage. That requires a fairly forward c of g, which for me worked out a
t 58.83=9D. I believe but have no proof that a forward c of g will als
o help ground stability by minimising the tendency for the tail to keep swin
ging outwards once a turn is started. I achieved my =98ideal=99 c
of g by adding 3 lbs of lead bolted in front of the stern post.

> Best of luck, David Joyce, GXSDJ
>

>> On 2019-06-08 19:00, Fred Klein wrote:
>>

>> Mono Gents,
>>
>> I'm looking for recommendations regarding location of C of G and its affe
ct on ground handling, particularly during landing roll out on a hard surfac
e runway in the hands of an experienced taildragger pilot, soon to become a n
ewbie mono-driver.

>> I'm fully aware of the content of Section 6 - Weight and Balance, of the O
wner's manual...including, of course, the recommendation for the restricted C
of G envelope for first flight.

>> My principal question is: Within that restricted envelope, what has been l
earned about whether the optimum C of G location would favor the forward lim
it...?...or the aft limit...?...

>> Comments most appreciated,
>>
>> Fred
>>

>> ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List