Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono ground handling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freddythek10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Mono ground handling Reply with quote

Mono Gents,

I’m looking for recommendations regarding location of C of G and its affect on ground handling, particularly during landing roll out on a hard surface runway in the hands of an experienced taildragger pilot, soon to become a newbie mono-driver.

I’m fully aware of the content of Section 6 - Weight and Balance, of the Owner’s manual…including, of course, the recommendation for the restricted C of G envelope for first flight.

My principal question is: Within that restricted envelope, what has been learned about whether the optimum C of G location would favor the forward limit…?…or the aft limit…?…

Comments most appreciated,

Fred

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
davidjoyce(at)doctors.org

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Mono ground handling Reply with quote

Fred, For me the important thing is that your c of g should allow any realistic loading without putting the c of g out of limits, that is with one v light pilot and full fuel and luggage and also heavy pilots and little fuel and luggage. That requires a fairly forward c of g, which for me worked out at 58.83”. I believe but have no proof that a forward c of g will also help ground stability by minimising the tendency for the tail to keep swinging outwards once a turn is started. I achieved my ‘ideal’ c of g by adding 3 lbs of lead bolted in front of the stern post.
Best of luck, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2019-06-08 19:00, Fred Klein wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Fred Klein <freddythek10(at)gmail.com (freddythek10(at)gmail.com)>

Mono Gents,

I'm looking for recommendations regarding location of C of G and its affect on ground handling, particularly during landing roll out on a hard surface runway in the hands of an experienced taildragger pilot, soon to become a newbie mono-driver.

I'm fully aware of the content of Section 6 - Weight and Balance, of the Owner's manual...including, of course, the recommendation for the restricted C of G envelope for first flight.

My principal question is: Within that restricted envelope, what has been learned about whether the optimum C of G location would favor the forward limit...?...or the aft limit...?...

Fred

ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ics.com
.com
.matronics.com/contribution

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Mono ground handling Reply with quote

Great feedback David...thanks mucho!

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 8, 2019, at 1:04 PM, davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk (davidjoyce(at)doctors.org.uk) wrote:
Quote:

Fred, For me the important thing is that your c of g should allow any realistic loading without putting the c of g out of limits, that is with one v light pilot and full fuel and luggage and also heavy pilots and little fuel and luggage. That requires a fairly forward c of g, which for me worked out at 58.83”. I believe but have no proof that a forward c of g will also help ground stability by minimising the tendency for the tail to keep swinging outwards once a turn is started. I achieved my ‘ideal’ c of g by adding 3 lbs of lead bolted in front of the stern post.
Best of luck, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2019-06-08 19:00, Fred Klein wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Fred Klein <freddythek10(at)gmail.com (freddythek10(at)gmail.com)>

Mono Gents,

I'm looking for recommendations regarding location of C of G and its affect on ground handling, particularly during landing roll out on a hard surface runway in the hands of an experienced taildragger pilot, soon to become a newbie mono-driver.

I'm fully aware of the content of Section 6 - Weight and Balance, of the Owner's manual...including, of course, the recommendation for the restricted C of G envelope for first flight.

My principal question is: Within that restricted envelope, what has been learned about whether the optimum C of G location would favor the forward limit..?...or the aft limit...?...

Fred

ttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
ics.com
.com
.matronics.com/contribution

Remi Guerner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mono ground handling Reply with quote

Fred,
I fully agree with David's response. My XS mono c of g is at 57.56 and that works fine. It allows to carry full fuel, including the long range tank, with lots of bags. As I am a lightweight pilot, I need a really big passenger to exceed the forward limit with low fuel and no bags.
Of course the aircraft is more stable in the air with a forward c of g. Regarding the effect of C of G on ground handling, it is a little bit easier with forward c of g.
Regards
Remi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Mono ground handling Reply with quote

Remi & Creighton…thank you very much for your insights and comments…very helpful,
Fred
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2019, at 12:19 AM, Remi Guerner <air.guerner(at)orange.fr (air.guerner(at)orange.fr)> wrote:
Of course the aircraft is more stable in the air with a forward c of g. Regarding the effect of C of G on ground handling, it is a little bit easier with forward c of g.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: