Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ELT ANTENNA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: ELT ANTENNA Reply with quote

Where is a good place to locate the ELT antenna?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar
mike(at)vision499.com (ike(at)vision499.com)
Home: +1 250-999-8121
Mike cell: +1 250-885-0554
1-1100 Tulip Ave, Victoria, BC, V8Z 0A2

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Robert Reed

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: ELT ANTENNA Reply with quote

My first thought was in the damn trash can but I will resist giving my honest opinion. The ELT antenna was more trouble than all of the other antenna combined.

The obvious intent of all the ELT antennas seems to be mounting on the top of the fuselage towards the rear but for those of us building a wood or glass airplane the preferred location would be in the interior of the rear fuselage. That was my preferred location.
The interior mount poses several issues including a large ground plane size, a rather tall antenna and an connector that extends well below the mount and ground plane. Not sure which KIS you are building but the TR-4 has the added issue of rudder cables running down the middle of the rear fuselage area.
My solution was to use a shelf of fiberglass and aluminum angle frame to mount the ground plane and antenna. The frame is mounted across the rear fuselage just above the rudder cables and high enough to make cable connections without crimping the coax cable. The top of the antenna does hit the inside top but bends back without any problems.
Oh yes, I must add that it works quite well even from inside the hanger. When I had finished the installation and got ready for my inspection, I tried to arm the ELT and accidentally activated it. About ten minutes later I received a phone call. I was inside a closed metal hangar.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

On May 30, 2019, at 8:41 PM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar

www.avast.com
[url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

GalinHdz

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject: ELT ANTENNA Reply with quote

My solution is similar to Bob's but I attached it to the back part of the rear bulkhead. The bulkhead has a large hole, covered by a KIS Cruiser sign, for access to the rear seat belt shoulder harness connection during maintenance. This makes it simple to access the coax cable plug on the ELT antenna whenever I need to take the bulkhead off. I use a 90degree BNC connector to make easy accessing the plug.

I know it works since I also accidentally activated the ELT inside my hangar and within minutes got a call from the Air Force Search & Rescue center with the exact Lat/Lon of my position.
On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 9:42 PM <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar
mike(at)vision499.com (ike(at)vision499.com)[u][/u]

www.avast.com
[url=#m_-5583703127639950565_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

wschertz343(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: ELT ANTENNA Reply with quote

My solution was to mount the antenna behind the baggage bulkhead, mounted to the floor of the fuselage. It was on a bracket that elevated it enough to use a right angle connector, and the ground plane was 6 radial copper tape segments bonded to the fuselage. The one issue I had was that with the original positioning of the ELT itself, it would activate when I keyed the microphone. I had to move the box to find a location where the interference did not occur.Bill Schertz
On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 5:45 AM Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
My solution is similar to Bob's but I attached it to the back part of the rear bulkhead. The bulkhead has a large hole, covered by a KIS Cruiser sign, for access to the rear seat belt shoulder harness connection during maintenance. This makes it simple to access the coax cable plug on the ELT antenna whenever I need to take the bulkhead off. I use a 90degree BNC connector to make easy accessing the plug.

I know it works since I also accidentally activated the ELT inside my hangar and within minutes got a call from the Air Force Search & Rescue center with the exact Lat/Lon of my position.
On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 9:42 PM <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar

www.avast.com
[url=#m_-3351245362549239253_m_-5583703127639950565_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: ELT ANTENNA Reply with quote

That’s where I ended up putting my transponder and ADSB antenna. One on each side with 12 inch square ground plane bonded to floor. Works well enough to pickup local traffic on Dynon while setting inside the hangar.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

On May 31, 2019, at 8:27 AM, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
My solution was to mount the antenna behind the baggage bulkhead, mounted to the floor of the fuselage. It was on a bracket that elevated it enough to use a right angle connector, and the ground plane was 6 radial copper tape segments bonded to the fuselage. The one issue I had was that with the original positioning of the ELT itself, it would activate when I keyed the microphone. I had to move the box to find a location where the interference did not occur.Bill Schertz
On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 5:45 AM Galin Hernandez <galinhdz(at)gmail.com (galinhdz(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar

www.avast.com
[url=#m_-3351245362549239253_m_-5583703127639950565_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

mike(at)vision499.com

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: ELT ANTENNA Reply with quote

Thanks to all with the help.

How do you join the separate strips of copper tape so that they conduct?

Just had a phone call from somebody who also had a problem with triggering his ELT but in his case it was the transponder and he had to put an attenuator on the transponder output

Off to the hangar now to see what I can do there

Thanks again

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com> On Behalf Of Robert Reed
Sent: May 31, 2019 8:00 AM
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: ELT ANTENNA

That’s where I ended up putting my transponder and ADSB antenna. One on each side with 12 inch square ground plane bonded to floor. Works well enough to pickup local traffic on Dynon while setting inside the hangar.

Bob Reed

Sent from my iPhone
On May 31, 2019, at 8:27 AM, William Schertz <wschertz343(at)gmail.com (wschertz343(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

My solution was to mount the antenna behind the baggage bulkhead, mounted to the floor of the fuselage. It was on a bracket that elevated it enough to use a right angle connector, and the ground plane was 6 radial copper tape segments bonded to the fuselage. The one issue I had was that with the original positioning of the ELT itself, it would activate when I keyed the microphone. I had to move the box to find a location where the interference did not occur.
Bill Schertz

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar

www.avast.com

Robert Reed

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: ELT ANTENNA Reply with quote

I used very thin aluminum strips about one inch wide and a center disk of the same material. I riveted each of the strips to the center disk and fiberglass sheet. Used multi meter to confirm continuity.

I would have done similar if I had used copper tape. You can either remove the sticky from the tape or mate the top to the center. Pop rivets will ensure the contact and a quick check with multi meter will validate.

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

On May 31, 2019, at 11:23 AM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Quote:
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

Just had a phone call from somebody who also had a problem with triggering his ELT but in his case it was the transponder and he had to put an attenuator on the transponder output

Thanks again

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Robert Reed
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: KIS-List: ELT ANTENNA

Bob Reed

Sent from my iPhone
Quote:

My solution was to mount the antenna behind the baggage bulkhead, mounted to the floor of the fuselage. It was on a bracket that elevated it enough to use a right angle connector, and the ground plane was 6 radial copper tape segments bonded to the fuselage. The one issue I had was that with the original positioning of the ELT itself, it would activate when I keyed the microphone. I had to move the box to find a location where the interference did not occur.
Bill Schertz

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar

www.avast.com

GalinHdz

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: ELT ANTENNA Reply with quote

I used copper tape attached to the aluminum angle frame for the ground plane. It works great.

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 2:14 PM Robert Reed <robertr237(at)att.net (robertr237(at)att.net)> wrote:

Quote:
I used very thin aluminum strips about one inch wide and a center disk of the same material. I riveted each of the strips to the center disk and fiberglass sheet. Used multi meter to confirm continuity. 

I would have done similar if I had used copper tape. You can either remove the sticky from the tape or mate the top to the center. Pop rivets will ensure the contact and a quick check with multi meter will validate. 

Bob Reed
Sent from my iPhone

On May 31, 2019, at 11:23 AM, <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> <mike(at)vision499.com (mike(at)vision499.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Thanks again

Mike

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com) <owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com)> On Behalf Of Robert Reed
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: ELT ANTENNA

That’s where I ended up putting my transponder and ADSB antenna. One on each side with 12 inch square ground plane bonded to floor.  Works well enough to pickup local traffic on Dynon while setting inside the hangar.  

Bob Reed

Sent from my iPhone
Quote:

Bill Schertz

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Mike

Mike Pienaar

www.avast.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: