engine cowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pietenpol-List
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
cdawson5854(at)shaw.ca
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: engine cowl Reply with quote

Cardboard pattern for aluminum cowl.

Clif

Bill; "When I die I want to be cremated."
Willy; "Why?"
Bill; "It'll be my last chance at a smokin' body."

- The Matronics Pietenpol-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List

COWL_2.JPG
 Filesize:  114.54 KB
 Viewed:  1221 Time(s)

COWL_2.JPG

COWL_3.JPG
 Filesize:  106.57 KB
 Viewed:  1221 Time(s)

COWL_3.JPG

COWL_4.JPG
 Filesize:  113.31 KB
 Viewed:  1221 Time(s)

COWL_4.JPG

COWL_5.JPG
 Filesize:  113.54 KB
 Viewed:  1221 Time(s)

COWL_5.JPG

COWL_6.JPG
 Filesize:  107.98 KB
 Viewed:  1221 Time(s)

COWL_6.JPG

COWL_7.JPG
 Filesize:  101.21 KB
 Viewed:  1221 Time(s)

COWL_7.JPG

COWL_8.JPG
 Filesize:  89.31 KB
 Viewed:  1221 Time(s)

COWL_8.JPG

Back to top
jack(at)textors.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: engine cowl Reply with quote

Very nice Cliff!

Jack Textor
Sent from my iPad

On Mar 30, 2019, at 2:26 AM, Clif Dawson <cdawson5854(at)shaw.ca (cdawson5854(at)shaw.ca)> wrote:
Quote:
Cardboard pattern for aluminum cowl.

Clif

Bill; "When I die I want to be cremated."
Willy; "Why?"
Bill; "It'll be my last chance at a smokin' body."

<COWL 2.JPG>
<COWL 3.JPG>
<COWL 4.JPG>
<COWL 5.JPG>
<COWL 6.JPG>
<COWL 7.JPG>
<COWL 8.JPG>

- The Matronics Pietenpol-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List
Back to top
jboatri(at)emory.edu
Guest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: engine cowl Reply with quote

Looking good!

--
Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD, FARVO
Professor of Ophthalmology

From: <owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of Clif Dawson <cdawson5854(at)shaw.ca>
Date: Saturday, March 30, 2019 at 3:31 AM
To: "pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com" <pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Fw: engine cowl

Cardboard pattern for aluminum cowl.

Clif

Bill; "When I die I want to be cremated."

Willy; "Why?"

Bill; "It'll be my last chance at a smokin' body."

prohibited.

- The Matronics Pietenpol-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List
Back to top
taildrags

Joined: 29 Dec 2009
Location: Medford, OR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: engine cowl Reply with quote

Clif; I really like the way it looks with the colored stock that you used. I've made mockups using poster board and cardboard, but they look cheesy compared to yours.

So where do you plan to install a heat muff for carb heat, and what about your oil filler cap/dipstick? Where will that shoot out?

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR

- The Matronics Pietenpol-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List

_________________
Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"
A75 power, 72x36 Culver prop
Back to top
cdawson5854(at)shaw.ca
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: engine cowl Reply with quote

Well, the card stock ( matt board ) was a cheesy bright red so
I took the same paint as will be on the real thing and sprayed it.
( bloody cheater!Smile ). I've got two 4 by 8 sheets of free aluminum.
Guess what? It's 2/3d's the thickness I need. Sad Oh well.

So, I've been struggling with the muff. I think it will be
the same pipe material welded to the inside a rear cylinder
pipe right up under the cylinder, more or less hidden.

The filler is up behind the right rear cylinder so a little
door will have to go there.

Clif
"Boy that was a smooth landing, now everyone get ready for the speed bump!"

Quote:

Clif; I really like the way it looks with the colored stock that you used.
I've made mockups using poster board and cardboard, but they look cheesy
compared to yours.

So where do you plan to install a heat muff for carb heat, and what about
your oil filler cap/dipstick? Where will that shoot out?

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR

- The Matronics Pietenpol-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List
Back to top
danoliver

Joined: 01 Mar 2016
Location: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: engine cowl Reply with quote

Very nice!
I couldn't help but notice your wheels. If you don't mind me asking what are they and what if any modifications did you do?

- The Matronics Pietenpol-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List

_________________
Dan O
Back to top
cdawson5854(at)shaw.ca
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: engine cowl Reply with quote

OK, they're Suzuki 19" wheels. Pic one is the original wheel. The next pic
is the inner side flange machine off, the hole milled out to be large enough
to accept the 1" flange bearing I made. The next is the hub extension I
made to increase the distance between inner and outer bearings. The next
shows the inner face of same with cutout for the wheel flange. The final
pic is the finished wheel on the 1 1/2" axle shaft.
Because my lathe/mill isn't big enough to turn the hub flange off and bore
the bearing hole, that had to be done with the milling part of the combo.
Like your own Uncle Abe said, " Give me six hours to chop down a tree
and I will spend the first four sharpening the ax."
So I spent a LOT of time setting up that mill. Twice! Smile

Clif
"I don't want to go to heaven. None of my friends are there."
Oscar Wilde

Quote:
Very nice!
I couldn't help but notice your wheels. If you don't mind me asking what
are they and what if any modifications did you do?

--------
Dan O

Read this topic online here:

---
https://www.avg.com

- The Matronics Pietenpol-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-List

wheel.JPG
 Filesize:  105.05 KB
 Viewed:  1078 Time(s)

wheel.JPG

Wheel5.JPG
 Filesize:  65.7 KB
 Viewed:  1078 Time(s)

Wheel5.JPG

hub3.JPG
 Filesize:  99.89 KB
 Viewed:  1078 Time(s)

hub3.JPG

hub4.JPG
 Filesize:  94.43 KB
 Viewed:  1078 Time(s)

hub4.JPG

Wheel1.JPG
 Filesize:  126.46 KB
 Viewed:  1078 Time(s)

Wheel1.JPG

Back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pietenpol-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum