Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FWF fuel line fittings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freddythek10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: FWF fuel line fittings Reply with quote

I’m reminded of the value of this list after contacting Ron Pagoris who had not posted for a long time…and I want to thank him for bringing to my attention the subject of the use of aluminum fuel line fittings in the engine compartment.
Further research on the subject generated this response from Bud which he willingly shares with our list:

Quote:
Fred,
I do not have problems with aluminum AN fittings. I do have problems with FWF techniques:

AN fittings or even steel flare fittings need some sort of fastening to prevent loosening, which is common. I see some of the fittings you use have a safety wire hole. Use it. They do loosen, especially on fuel injection lines. Hence the automotive and marine industry is going to special fittings. Oil fittings get safety wiring also.

I also have problems with any hard line going to an engine, from a firewall. That is a broken fitting waiting to happen. The engine to fuselage fitting should always be a flexible line of course. If the line is steel braded or firm rubber, its flare fitting will tend to loosen with age without some sort of fastener fixing them such as safety wire or crimp anti spin connector. Reason, over time the shake of the engine and the firm rubber or braded line will shake until the flare fitting begins to loosen. We had this problem on jet engines. Safety wire flare fittings in some way. If the flare fitting has no safety wire hole, I use a Breeze clamp bent to fit on a fitting (like on the oil tank fittings on the Rotax) rather than drilling the nut edge. Once I have the Breeze clamp fitted, I safety wire the Breeze clamp screw so it won’t loosen, then safety wire the clamp to a fixed point to assure the fitting stays tight.

That said, I tend to use push on or barb fittings screwed into an NPT fitting for oil and fuel with specified clamps so the fitting won’t loosen. However, Aluminum NPT fittings can crack if not supported properly, maybe that is why your inspector prefers brass, which bends, or steel which is much stronger. He may have been concerned about the 90 degree fitting coming off the fuel line manifold for bending. I can’t say. What I can see in the photo looks like a safe fitting if it is suitable for the fuel or oil temp and pressure requirements of the engine manufactuer.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

[img]cid:885B7E0C-3679-48C1-8A6C-13B3C18635D1[/img]

While I will continue with my aluminum fittings, I will most certainly ensure that they are properly safety-wired! Thanks Ron & Bud!

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

DSCN8253.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.61 KB
 Viewed:  2342 Time(s)

DSCN8253.jpeg

m(at)grassfam.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: FWF fuel line fittings Reply with quote

Hello Fred,

You might want to have a look at the tightening specifications from the manufacturer of those fittings. It is interesting that they advise against torque and use number of flats instead. See pages 21 and 22 of https://www.parker.com/literature/Tube%20Fittings%20Division/Assembly_Installation.pdf
Be safe
A266
Michael Grass

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 15, 2019, at 3:10 PM, Fred Klein <freddythek10(at)gmail.com (freddythek10(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I’m reminded of the value of this list after contacting Ron Pagoris who had not posted for a long time…and I want to thank him for bringing to my attention the subject of the use of aluminum fuel line fittings in the engine compartment.
Further research on the subject generated this response from Bud which he willingly shares with our list:

Quote:
Fred,
I do not have problems with aluminum AN fittings. I do have problems with FWF techniques:

AN fittings or even steel flare fittings need some sort of fastening to prevent loosening, which is common. I see some of the fittings you use have a safety wire hole. Use it. They do loosen, especially on fuel injection lines. Hence the automotive and marine industry is going to special fittings. Oil fittings get safety wiring also.

I also have problems with any hard line going to an engine, from a firewall. That is a broken fitting waiting to happen. The engine to fuselage fitting should always be a flexible line of course. If the line is steel braded or firm rubber, its flare fitting will tend to loosen with age without some sort of fastener fixing them such as safety wire or crimp anti spin connector. Reason, over time the shake of the engine and the firm rubber or braded line will shake until the flare fitting begins to loosen. We had this problem on jet engines. Safety wire flare fittings in some way.  If the flare fitting has no safety wire hole, I use a Breeze clamp bent to fit on a fitting (like on the oil tank fittings on the Rotax) rather than drilling the nut edge. Once I have the Breeze clamp fitted, I safety wire the Breeze clamp screw so it won’t loosen, then safety wire the clamp to a fixed point to assure the fitting stays tight.

That said, I tend to use push on or barb fittings screwed into an NPT fitting for oil and fuel with specified clamps so the fitting won’t loosen. However, Aluminum NPT fittings can crack if not supported properly, maybe that is why your inspector prefers brass, which bends, or steel which is much stronger. He may have been concerned about the 90 degree fitting coming off the fuel line manifold for bending. I can’t say. What I can see in the photo looks like a safe fitting if it is suitable for the fuel or oil temp and pressure requirements of the engine manufactuer.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly

<DSCN8253.jpeg>

While I will continue with my aluminum fittings, I will most certainly ensure that they are properly safety-wired! Thanks Ron & Bud!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

freddythek10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: FWF fuel line fittings Reply with quote

Michael…thanks for the link…it does, as far as I can tell, address only issues relating to fittings for rigid fuel lines…something which I avoided…F.
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2019, at 5:03 AM, Michael Grass <m(at)grassfam.com (m(at)grassfam.com)> wrote:
You might want to have a look at the tightening specifications from the manufacturer of those fittings. It is interesting that they advise against torque and use number of flats instead. See pages 21 and 22 of https://www.parker.com/literature/Tube%20Fittings%20Division/Assembly_Installation.pdf

Be safe

A266
Michael Grass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: