what oil??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
flywithme

Joined: 27 Apr 2016
Location: oklahoma

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: what oil?? Reply with quote

I am new to the Rotax engine. I have a 447 points ignition engine on my Firefly. what oil do you fellow Kolbers use in your Engines? why?

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
stuart(at)harnerfarm.net
Guest

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: what oil?? Reply with quote

Mine is a 447 with electronic single ignition.

Amzoil Super Saber Professional 100:1 mix ratio. Recommended by the shop
foreman at LEAF in Wisconsin.

Phil Lockwood (Lockwood Aviation) recommends Pennzoil 2 stroke air cooled
oil. Go figure.

They both recommend using Stabil fuel stabilizer to help keep the gas fresh
longer. I use this too.

Only 20 hours on mine so far. All OK. Carbon buildup is minimal. Just
replaced the plugs coming out of storage for the winter. Looked good but why
put them in for a lousy 5 hours before the recommended replacement?

I would look into upgrading the ignition system if at all possible.

Your engine must have some years on it. Hope it was stored properly.

--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Back to top
Richard Pike

Location: Blountville, Tennessee

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: what oil?? Reply with quote

Started using Phillips Injex for 2-stroke engines back in 1983, used it ever since. Got 700+ hours out of a Rotax 277, still running good when I sold it, no problems, on it's 2nd piston and original crank. Used it in several 503's, 532's, 582's and still using it. Burns cleaner than Pennzoil. Tried Pennzoil one summer, covered the tail with oily soot. Plugs looked the same, cylinder walls looked the same, just made the airplane nasty. Phillips doesn't do that.

Have had a few times when I had to clean the carbon off some rings, but never had a seizure or a bearing failure. Underside of the cylinder head is always clean, exhaust ports don't clog up. Run my engines around 1100 degrees EGT or as close to it as possible.
Worth what ya paid for it.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

_________________
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

Forgiving is tough, being forgiven is wonderful, and God's grace really is amazing.
Bill Long

Joined: 06 Apr 2010

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: what oil?? Reply with quote

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Richard Pike" <thegreybaron(at)charter.net>

--------
Richard Pike
Kolb MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)
Kingsport, TN 3TN0

Would you consider yourself to be a good person?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWcDXT6pH7A

_-= Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ,
_-= Photoshare, and much much more:
_-=
_-=   --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
_-=
_-============================================================
_-=               - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
_-= Same great content also available via the Web Forums!
_-=
_-=   --> http://forums.matronics.com
_-=
_-============================================================
_-=              - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
_-= Add some info to the Matronics Email List Wiki!
_-=   --> http://wiki.matronics.com
_-============================================================
_-=             - List Contribution Web Site -
_-=  Thank you for your generous support!
_-=                              -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
_-=   --> http://www.matronics.com/contribution

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Bill Long

Joined: 06 Apr 2010

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: what oil?? Reply with quote

Amsoil Interceptor best fuel milage and no dirty tail.

[...]

20141106_160625_resized.jpg
 Filesize:  1.25 MB
 Viewed:  5787 Time(s)

20141106_160625_resized.jpg

flywithme

Joined: 27 Apr 2016
Location: oklahoma

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: what oil?? Reply with quote

upgrading the ignition is something on my "to do" list. will the slectronic ignition fit on all of the 447 models? i have found a used complete set up that came off of an 8 bolt block. i am not sure what block i have?

stuart(at)harnerfarm.net wrote:
Mine is a 447 with electronic single ignition.

Amzoil Super Saber Professional 100:1 mix ratio. Recommended by the shop
foreman at LEAF in Wisconsin.

Phil Lockwood (Lockwood Aviation) recommends Pennzoil 2 stroke air cooled
oil. Go figure.

They both recommend using Stabil fuel stabilizer to help keep the gas fresh
longer. I use this too.

Only 20 hours on mine so far. All OK. Carbon buildup is minimal. Just
replaced the plugs coming out of storage for the winter. Looked good but why
put them in for a lousy 5 hours before the recommended replacement?

I would look into upgrading the ignition system if at all possible.

Your engine must have some years on it. Hope it was stored properly.

--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours