EFIS D-10 Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
dean.psiropoulos(at)veriz
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: EFIS D-10 Question Reply with quote

I know this should go to Dynon but I have a question on mounting the remote
compass module. The instructions say to mount this module as close to the
orientation of the D-10 unit as possible. Given that on an RV-6 the
instrument panel is tilted almost 10 degrees forward, wouldn't it make more
sense and be more accurate to mount it on the longeron line (which happens
to be the horizontal line of flight in cruise)? Why does Dynon say to mount
the compass at the same angle of tilt? Have you RV-6 drivers who've used
the remote Dynon compass mounted it with the tilt? Thanks.

Dean Psiropoulos
RV-6A N197DM
Wiring and wiring.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
khorton01(at)rogers.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: EFIS D-10 Question Reply with quote

On 23 Oct 2006, at 24:47, DEAN PSIROPOULOS wrote:

Quote:

<dean.psiropoulos(at)verizon.net>

I know this should go to Dynon but I have a question on mounting
the remote
compass module. The instructions say to mount this module as close
to the
orientation of the D-10 unit as possible. Given that on an RV-6 the
instrument panel is tilted almost 10 degrees forward, wouldn't it
make more
sense and be more accurate to mount it on the longeron line (which
happens
to be the horizontal line of flight in cruise)? Why does Dynon say
to mount
the compass at the same angle of tilt? Have you RV-6 drivers
who've used
the remote Dynon compass mounted it with the tilt? Thanks.

The remote compass module works by measuring the components of the
magnetic field in three dimensions. Then, they use the aircraft
attitude to calculate the direction of magnetic north. The
calculation that the EFIS does assumes that the remote compass module
is at the same attitude as the EFIS. If it is not, the heading
accuracy will be reduced.

See: http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1145885596

Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Back to top
Jerry Cochran

Location: Wilsonville, OR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: EFIS D-10 Question Reply with quote

Greetings, Dean...

I've mounted them on two Rv6a's. One in the tail, but not fun to crawl back there to secure wires. On the other, I built a shelf just behind the baggage compartment which was pretty easy. Just used an angle finder to match the panel angle. At the time I wondered if this method would be accurate enough, but the D-100 performs flawlessly, so guess it was. BTW, Dynon wants the same orientation in all 3 axis... Again, easy to do with above method.

Regards,
Jerry Cochran
Wilsonville, OR
Quote:
Time: 09:50:24 PM PST US
From: "DEAN PSIROPOULOS" <dean.psiropoulos(at)verizon.net>
Subject: EFIS D-10 Question

--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "DEAN PSIROPOULOS" <dean.psiropoulos(at)verizon.net>

I know this should go to Dynon but I have a question on mounting the remote
compass module. The instructions say to mount this module as close to the
orientation of the D-10 unit as possible. Given that on an RV-6 the
instrument panel is tilted almost 10 degrees forward, wouldn't it make more
sense and be more accurate to mount it on the longeron line (which happens
to be the horizontal line of flight in cruise)? Why does Dynon say to mount
the compass at the same angle of tilt? Have you RV-6 drivers who've used
the remote Dynon compass mounted it with the tilt? Thanks.

Dean Psiropoulos
RV-6A N197DM
Wiring and wiring.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours